Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would really like to study English literature or history at Cambridge. Perhaps it's a silly question, but from my grades etc do you think I have a chance to being accepted?
    Thank you very much x

My grades from GCSE mocks are : English literature A*
    english Language A*
    History A*
    Maths B (predicted A)
    french A/A*
    biology A*
    chemistry A
    physics A
    art graphics A
    rs A*
    Drama A/A*

Outside of school I am a Guide Leader, play golf, am at Grade 8 LAMDA (drama) exams, was part of the young journalists academy and am part of the script writing club at school.

For A-Level I am taking History, English Literature, Classical Civilisation and Philosophy.

Do you think these A levels are good choices? Are there any extra curricular activities I should be getting involved in? Thanks again xx

ReputationRep:
    Looks good to me! I'm a current MML student.

Your A-Level choices are good and will let you apply for either history or English here.

At the moment, focus on your GCSEs, but when you start A-Level, try to do supercurricular activities - so ECs that are related to your subject (e.g. I helped in language classes at my school during my frees at sixth form).

If you want some insight into life as a Cambridge student, have a look on twitter - we have just launched an initiative called #CamTweet where 12 students in different subjects, years and colleges will tweet each day to give you an idea of life at Cambridge!

ReputationRep:
    Have you watched 'The History Boys?'

There are examples of interviews ( Cambridge I think ) you can watch.

A levels are a lot harder than GCSE , Cambridge interviews/essays etc. will be very searching, testing how well you can think.

How can you illustrate a genuine interest in History/ English do you think? What evidence will you be able to offer? How will you be able to show that you could benefit from the opportunities offered at Cambridge?

What is special about you? How can you show/prove it by the time you get to interview? Everyone they interview will be expecting to get top notch results at A level so you need something exceptional to stand out.

Did you join the National Youth Theatre? Spend your holiday researching battlefields? whatever.......

I know you will only be barely 18 or still 17 but .........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kjhebb)
    I would really like to study English literature or history at Cambridge. Perhaps it's a silly question, but from my grades etc do you think I have a chance to being accepted?
    Thank you very much x

My grades from GCSE mocks are : English literature A*
    english Language A*
    History A*
    Maths B (predicted A)
    french A/A*
    biology A*
    chemistry A
    physics A
    art graphics A
    rs A*
    Drama A/A*

Outside of school I am a Guide Leader, play golf, am at Grade 8 LAMDA (drama) exams, was part of the young journalists academy and am part of the script writing club at school.

For A-Level I am taking History, English Literature, Classical Civilisation and Philosophy.

Do you think these A levels are good choices? Are there any extra curricular activities I should be getting involved in? Thanks again xx
    I'm taking those exact subjects for A2 and I got an offer from Pembroke this year so you absolutely can. Extra curricular counts for more or less zero

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.