Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

which maths/ further maths modules should i choose? watch

ReputationRep:
    im planning to teach myself A-level maths and sit exams as a private candidate. i want to go on a do a physics degree so im going to do a-level maths a further maths.

which modules should i choose for each?
    any suggestions or help about self teaching a-level maths would be greatly appreciated, also does anyone know about the further maths support programme and their distance learning courses for mature students? it costs £300 and i wanted to know if it was worth it? or shall i teach myself that as well?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do physics, you should do C1-4, FP1-3, M1-4, FP4 or M5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markbarker87)
    im planning to teach myself A-level maths and sit exams as a private candidate. i want to go on a do a physics degree so im going to do a-level maths a further maths.

any suggestions or help about self teaching a-level maths would be greatly appreciated, also does anyone know about the further maths support programme and their distance learning courses for mature students? it costs £300 and i wanted to know if it was worth it? or shall i teach myself that as well?

thanks
    Maths AS
    (C1, C2 and M1)

Further Maths AS
    (FP1, M2 and M3)

Maths A2
    (C3, C4 and M4)

Further Maths A2
    (FP2, FP3/4 and M5)
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team

thanks
    Hi there,

I've just moved this thread to the Maths forum for you
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

thanks
    In order of priority:

M1 and M2 for standard maths A level, then
    as many FP modules as possible
    as many of M3-M5 as you can
    S1 / S2 if you can't find resources for all the Mech (there are some probability/stats concepts used in Physics, so a little stats is not a bad idea even if you don't find it interesting!)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot I appreciate it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm planning to take the Edexcel C3 and C4 and possibly M1 and D1 would like some advice please
    1) Which books would you recommend for these modules
    2) How much on average would it cost to take these three modules - I'm getting a quote of £80 per module is that realistic
    Thank you
    PS I've passed C1, C2 and S1 a few years ago

ReputationRep:
    Realistically I think it would be a lot easier to self teach M1-2, S1-2 and D1-2 but doing M1-5 would definitely be more helpful for a physics degree.

Personally I've done C1-4, FP1 and FP3, S1-2, M1-2 and D1-2. I'm quite glad that we didn't have to do more than 2 FP modules as the exams can be quite difficult, whereas S2, M2 and D2 are really easy.

If you're doing AQA then you have the choice of FP2, 3 and 4 for A2, with FP3 being the simplest in terms of content by far in my opinion (it's just differential equations, limits/series and polar coordinates).

Obviously it's more useful to do as many FP modules as you can, but they are by far the most difficult and it's quite easy to slip up when it comes to the actual exam.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.