The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ImNotMe
I didn't believe in anything to do with religion and was very 'vocal' about it too; until a college acquaintance introduced (technically re-introduced) me to Islam about 3/4 years ago. Instead of judging me for my sins, he took me to the Friday prayer which sparked an interest! And here we are today Alhamdulillah!

Alhamdulillah :biggrin:

TMG uses a different technique; normally lures them in with samosas :L
[video="youtube;II42IpzskRI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II42IpzskRI[/video]
Original post by IdeasForLife

What's TMG? Is it really obvious :/ Hope not lol
Original post by ImNotMe
What's TMG? Is it really obvious :/ Hope not lol

ThatMuslimGuy :tongue:

Works Everytime :biggrin:
I just wanted to ask a quick question after reading another thread

We do find out whether we go to hell or heaven in the grave, right?

Judgement day is just a lot more detailed, where we all get our books, see all our deeds and so on.. No?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ThatMuslimGuy :tongue:

Haha, apologies TMG :colondollar:.
Reply 3207
Original post by accretion disk
I just wanted to ask a quick question after reading another thread

We do find out whether we go to hell or heaven in the grave, right?

Judgement day is just a lot more detailed, where we all get our books, see all our deeds and so on.. No?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope in the grave think of it as the first of many hurdles.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ko111
nope in the grave think of it as the first of many hurdles.

But take a quick read of this hadith:

Anas b. Malik reported Allah's Apostle (ﷺ) having said:
When the servant is placed in his grave, his companions retrace their steps, and he hears the noise of their footsteps, two angels come to him and make him sit and say to him: What you have to say about this person (the Prophet)? If he is a believer, he would say: I bear testimony to the fact that he is a servant of Allah and His Messenger. Then it would be said to him: Look to your seat in the Hellfire, for Allah has substituted (the seat of yours) with a seat in Paradise. Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said: He would be shown both the seats. Qatada said: It was mentioned to us that his grave (the grave of a believer) expands to seventy cubits and is full with verdure until the Day when they would be resurrected.

(Sahih Muslim 2870a)

I'm a little confused now. Why would it be called judgement day if some people see their place in jannah in the grave?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3209
But take a quick read of this hadith:

Anas b. Malik reported Allah's Apostle (ﷺ) having said:
When the servant is placed in his grave, his companions retrace their steps, and he hears the noise of their footsteps, two angels come to him and make him sit and say to him: What you have to say about this person (the Prophet)? If he is a believer, he would say: I bear testimony to the fact that he is a servant of Allah and His Messenger. Then it would be said to him: Look to your seat in the Hellfire, for Allah has substituted (the seat of yours) with a seat in Paradise. Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said: He would be shown both the seats. Qatada said: It was mentioned to us that his grave (the grave of a believer) expands to seventy cubits and is full with verdure until the Day when they would be resurrected.

(Sahih Muslim 2870a)

I'm a little confused now. Why would it be called judgement day if some people see their place in jannah in the grave?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it does not say that they will go to heaven though does it (it says: He would be shown both the seats.). like i said mate it's nothing compared to the real day. Ultimately it will be Allah who will decide on Judgement Day.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ko111
it does not say that they will go to heaven though does it (it says: He would be shown both the seats.). like i said mate it's nothing compared to the real day. Ultimately it will be Allah who will decide on Judgement Day.

But it also says the seat in hellfire has been substituted for a seat in paradise... Doesn't this mean you're going to heaven?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Allah swt, in the Holy Quran made a Prophecy:

"The Romans have been defeated
"In the nearer land, and they, after their defeat will be victorious
"Within ten years - Allah's is the command in the former case and in the latter - and in that day believers will rejoice .
"In Allah's help to victory. He helpeth to victory whom He will. He is the Mighty, the Merciful." - Holy Quran

If there was one way to falsify Muhammed pbuh as a proffesional lier, this would be one of the ways! The Quran contains a prophecy, and if that prophecy were not to come to pass, it would disprove his prophet-hood. No-one would even be taken seriously, even if they used gymnastic fluid interpretations as to why his prediction came wrong. Before you cite nostradamous, please learn about context. Nostradamous made vague, often false prophecies, and had many, many of them.

Why is this special?:

Syed Maudani, supra
What is remarkable is that, at the time the Prophet revealed Surah Rum its fulfillment would have seemed extremely unlikely to objective human observers: These were the conditions when this Surah of the Quran was sent down, and in it a prediction was made, saying: "The Romans have been vanquished in the neighboring land and within a few years after their defeat, they shall be victorious. And it will be the day when the believers will rejoice in the victory granted by Allah." It contained not one but two predictions: First, the Romans shall be Victorious; and second, the Muslims also shall win a victory at the same time.

Apparently, there was not a remote chance of the fulfillment of the either prediction in the next few years. On the one hand, there were a handful of the Muslims, who were being beaten and tortured in Makkah, and even till eight years after this prediction there appeared no chance of their victory and domination. On the other, the Romans were losing more and more ground every next day. By 619 A. D. the whole of Egypt had passed into Sassanid hands and the Magian armies had reached as far as Tripoli. In Asia Minor they beat and pushed back the Romans to Bosporus, and in 617 A. D. they captured Chalcedon (modern, Kadikoy) just opposite Constantinople. The Emperor sent an envoy to Khusrau, praying that he was ready to have peace on any terms, but he replied, "I shall not give protection to the emperor until he is brought in chains before me and gives up obedience to his crucified god and adopts submission to the fire god." At last, the Emperor became so depressed by defeat that he decided to leave Constantinople and shift to Carthage (modern, Tunis). In short, as the British historian Gibbon says, even seven to eight years after this prediction of the Quran, the conditions were such that no one could even imagine that the Byzantine Empire would ever gain an upper hand over Iran. Not to speak of gaining domination, no one could hope that the Empire, under the circumstances, would even survive.

http://www.answering-christianity.com/rebuttal_false_prophecies.htm

Not only did the romans incur a huge loss, they were actually losing power! Why on earth would Muhammed pbuh say 'oh don't worry, the romans will be victorious? Why even give such a prophecy.

Imagine you have two armies, and one is severely beaten. Not only that, the winning army makes so much ground after, and the losing armies strength dwindles. Now imagine you were a professional lier. Would you make a prophecy right away that actually, as incredibly unlikely as it seems, within a few years, the romans will be victorious?

[video="youtube;uhbavyBhdhM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhbavyBhdhM[/video]
Reply 3212
But it also says the seat in hellfire has been substituted for a seat in paradise... Doesn't this mean you're going to heaven?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope it's probable that you will enter heaven but still not certain.

it basically means you passed the first test..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
[video="youtube;II42IpzskRI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II42IpzskRI[/video]

Thank you for sharing. :smile:
Original post by Incredible97
AsalaamAlaikum :smile:

Wa'alaikum assalam :smile:

SubhanAllah :yy:
Reply 3216
Original post by Incredible97
AsalaamAlaikum :smile:

Wa 'alaikumussalaam warahmatullah! :smile:

:yy:
I was thinking this morning (I know, trying new things);

Should we be saying 'thank you' when people do us a favour? Because we make zikr of Allah and say ''All praise/thanks be to Allah'', so isn't thanking another person contradicting this?

Any thoughts? :smile:
Original post by Tawheed
Allah swt, in the Holy Quran made a Prophecy:

"The Romans have been defeated
"In the nearer land, and they, after their defeat will be victorious
"Within ten years - Allah's is the command in the former case and in the latter - and in that day believers will rejoice .
"In Allah's help to victory. He helpeth to victory whom He will. He is the Mighty, the Merciful." - Holy Quran

If there was one way to falsify Muhammed pbuh as a proffesional lier, this would be one of the ways! The Quran contains a prophecy, and if that prophecy were not to come to pass, it would disprove his prophet-hood. No-one would even be taken seriously, even if they used gymnastic fluid interpretations as to why his prediction came wrong. Before you cite nostradamous, please learn about context. Nostradamous made vague, often false prophecies, and had many, many of them.

Why is this special?:

Syed Maudani, supra
What is remarkable is that, at the time the Prophet revealed Surah Rum its fulfillment would have seemed extremely unlikely to objective human observers: These were the conditions when this Surah of the Quran was sent down, and in it a prediction was made, saying: "The Romans have been vanquished in the neighboring land and within a few years after their defeat, they shall be victorious. And it will be the day when the believers will rejoice in the victory granted by Allah." It contained not one but two predictions: First, the Romans shall be Victorious; and second, the Muslims also shall win a victory at the same time.

Apparently, there was not a remote chance of the fulfillment of the either prediction in the next few years. On the one hand, there were a handful of the Muslims, who were being beaten and tortured in Makkah, and even till eight years after this prediction there appeared no chance of their victory and domination. On the other, the Romans were losing more and more ground every next day. By 619 A. D. the whole of Egypt had passed into Sassanid hands and the Magian armies had reached as far as Tripoli. In Asia Minor they beat and pushed back the Romans to Bosporus, and in 617 A. D. they captured Chalcedon (modern, Kadikoy) just opposite Constantinople. The Emperor sent an envoy to Khusrau, praying that he was ready to have peace on any terms, but he replied, "I shall not give protection to the emperor until he is brought in chains before me and gives up obedience to his crucified god and adopts submission to the fire god." At last, the Emperor became so depressed by defeat that he decided to leave Constantinople and shift to Carthage (modern, Tunis). In short, as the British historian Gibbon says, even seven to eight years after this prediction of the Quran, the conditions were such that no one could even imagine that the Byzantine Empire would ever gain an upper hand over Iran. Not to speak of gaining domination, no one could hope that the Empire, under the circumstances, would even survive.

http://www.answering-christianity.com/rebuttal_false_prophecies.htm

Not only did the romans incur a huge loss, they were actually losing power! Why on earth would Muhammed pbuh say 'oh don't worry, the romans will be victorious? Why even give such a prophecy.

Imagine you have two armies, and one is severely beaten. Not only that, the winning army makes so much ground after, and the losing armies strength dwindles. Now imagine you were a professional lier. Would you make a prophecy right away that actually, as incredibly unlikely as it seems, within a few years, the romans will be victorious?

[video="youtube;uhbavyBhdhM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhbavyBhdhM[/video]

I would love to see atheists debate this:colondollar:
Original post by ImNotMe
I was thinking this morning (I know, trying new things);

Should we be saying 'thank you' when people do us a favour? Because we make zikr of Allah and say ''All praise/thanks be to Allah'', so isn't thanking another person contradicting this?

Any thoughts? :smile:

Always be grateful :yes:

He who does not thank the people does not thank allah

Abu Hurayra reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Allah does not thank the person who does not thank people."

Grade: sahih (al-albani)

Al-adab al-mufrad 218

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest