The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by K1NG93
I don't much about Sufism and so I don't know where it fits in with Islam.

i think its more turkish persian? i don't see arabs doing this
Reply 821
Original post by gen. AIDEED
are sufi still sunni? i just read on wiki they are sunni?

yep they are.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gen. AIDEED
i think its more turkish persian? i don't see arabs doing this

Maybe :dontknow:
Reply 823
Original post by andrewdwilliams
Assalamu alaykum. I'm not a Muslim, but I have a great respect and interest in Islam. I study GCSE Religious Studies and through this and my own research, I have found out several things about Islam and I would say it is one of the wisest of all the religions. There are some things I don't agree with in Islam, but more things that I do agree with.

So, in other words, I'm saying hi and declaring an interest in this thread.

Hi mate welcome to the best society on tsr! :yep:
Original post by IdeasForLife
Hello there

Original post by ImNotMe
Welcome! :h:
What interests you most about Islam?

Original post by ko111
Hi mate welcome to the best society on tsr! :yep:

I thought it was funny how none of you returned salaam. A quick google search has revealed why

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Up quark
I thought it was funny how none of you returned salaam. A quick google search has revealed why

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh I just noticed that now. I just replied to the hi on his last line. Thanks for pointing out though. Islamically we must match the greeting at least (which us three all failed at). I'm not sure what you learned on Google, care to share?
Original post by ko111
yep they are.

so you're sunni and they are sunni but you just don't dance around thats the difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

"If a non-Muslim greets us with the correct shar’i greeting (i.e., says ‘Al-salaamu ‘alaykum’ clearly), the scholars differed as to whether we have to return the greeting. The majority of scholars said that we do have to return the greeting, and this is the correct view."
http://islamqa.info/en/6583
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't see the Salaam! I Think seeing a non-Muslim on TSR showing a positive interest in Islam was too much to process on its own xD The Salaam was just overkill lol
Original post by ImNotMe
I didn't see the Salaam! I Think seeing a non-Muslim on TSR showing a positive interest in Islam was too much to process on its own xD The Salaam was just overkill lol

Lol me too. :h:
Original post by Ankabout
"If a non-Muslim greets us with the correct shar’i greeting (i.e., says ‘Al-salaamu ‘alaykum’ clearly), the scholars differed as to whether we have to return the greeting. The majority of scholars said that we do have to return the greeting, and this is the correct view."
http://islamqa.info/en/6583

IslamQA is supposedly Salafi. The Saudi King actually banned access to it from the country!

I used to quote from it too, but research led me to believe that some fatwas on there are so
Original post by ImNotMe
IslamQA is supposedly Salafi. The Saudi King actually banned access to it from the country!

I used to quote from it too, but research led me to believe that some fatwas on there are so

Don't worry, I'm wary of that website too but many still many Muslims happen to respect it so...
Original post by ImNotMe

There is nothing wrong with following the salaf. Disagreeing with one of their fatwas doesn't mean you instantly reject all the others.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ImNotMe

What do you have against Salafis? The first few generations of Muslims were Salafis. Are you ashamed of the earliest Muslims?
Original post by ImNotMe

whats the difference between salafi and sunni?
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
What do you have against Salafis? The first few generations of Muslims were Salafis. Are you ashamed of the earliest Muslims?

The first three generations are called "Salafs"........the term "Salafi" is derived from them, and is used to describe people who are trying to be like the first three generations who are highly regarded.

All muslims are salafis in the sense that they follow the rightly guided salaf.
Original post by Iqbal007
The first three generations are called "Salafs"........the term "Salafi" is derived from them, and is used to describe people who are trying to be like the first three generations who are highly regarded.

Yes, but then I wonder why the term is used in a derogatory manner amongst modern Muslims....

The first few generations weren't 'Salafis'... they were the Salaf. Every Muslim claims to follow the Salaf and so the term is quite useless.
Original post by FreedomCostsTax
The first few generations weren't 'Salafis'... they were the Salaf. Every Muslim claims to follow the Salaf and so the term is quite useless.

Yes, that's what I meant. "Salafi" is just another word for "Sunni" then.

Latest

Trending

Trending