The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
[video="youtube;gKvj3lyFRug"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKvj3lyFRug[/video]

If people followed the simple mantra of ''don't speak about what you don't know'' the world would be in a better place.
Got exam on 30th May and 1st of June :redface:

Hope it isn't the only event he is doing then, cos they usually do a few when such scholars come over.
Original post by Iqbal007
Hope it isn't the only event he is doing then, cos they usually do a few when such scholars come over.

You can tell me about it anyway :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
[video="youtube;gKvj3lyFRug"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKvj3lyFRug[/video]

we need to paste this on every religion thread m8 we need to make this viral alhamdulillah
حَتَّىٰ إِذَا أَخَذْنَا مُتْرَفِيهِمْ بِالْعَذَابِ إِذَا هُمْ يَجْأَرُونَ

Until when We seize their affluent ones with punishment, at once they are crying [to Allah ] for help.

لَا تَجْأَرُوا الْيَوْمَ ۖ إِنَّكُمْ مِنَّا لَا تُنْصَرُونَ

Do not cry out today. Indeed, by Us you will not be helped.

قَدْ كَانَتْ آيَاتِي تُتْلَىٰ عَلَيْكُمْ فَكُنْتُمْ عَلَىٰ أَعْقَابِكُمْ تَنْكِصُونَ

My verses had already been recited to you, but you were turning back on your heels

مُسْتَكْبِرِينَ بِهِ سَامِرًا تَهْجُرُونَ

In arrogance regarding it, conversing by night, speaking evil.

Posted from TSR Mobile
وَإِنَّكَ لَتَدْعُوهُمْ إِلَىٰ صِرَاطٍ مُسْتَقِيمٍ

And indeed, you invite them to a straight path.

وَإِنَّ الَّذِينَ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ بِالْآخِرَةِ عَنِ الصِّرَاطِ لَنَاكِبُونَ

But indeed, those who do not believe in the Hereafter are deviating from the path.

وَلَوْ رَحِمْنَاهُمْ وَكَشَفْنَا مَا بِهِمْ مِنْ ضُرٍّ لَلَجُّوا فِي طُغْيَانِهِمْ يَعْمَهُونَ

And even if We gave them mercy and removed what was upon them of affliction, they would persist in their transgression, wandering blindly.

وَلَقَدْ أَخَذْنَاهُمْ بِالْعَذَابِ فَمَا اسْتَكَانُوا لِرَبِّهِمْ وَمَا يَتَضَرَّعُونَ

And We had gripped them with suffering [as a warning], but they did not yield to their Lord, nor did they humbly supplicate, [and will continue thus]

حَتَّىٰ إِذَا فَتَحْنَا عَلَيْهِمْ بَابًا ذَا عَذَابٍ شَدِيدٍ إِذَا هُمْ فِيهِ مُبْلِسُونَ

Until when We have opened before them a door of severe punishment, immediately they will be therein in despair.

وَهُوَ الَّذِي أَنْشَأَ لَكُمُ السَّمْعَ وَالْأَبْصَارَ وَالْأَفْئِدَةَ ۚ قَلِيلًا مَا تَشْكُرُونَ

And it is He who produced for you hearing and vision and hearts; little are you grateful.

وَهُوَ الَّذِي ذَرَأَكُمْ فِي الْأَرْضِ وَإِلَيْهِ تُحْشَرُونَ

And it is He who has multiplied you throughout the earth, and to Him you will be gathered.

وَهُوَ الَّذِي يُحْيِي وَيُمِيتُ وَلَهُ اخْتِلَافُ اللَّيْلِ وَالنَّهَارِ ۚ أَفَلَا تَعْقِلُونَ

And it is He who gives life and causes death, and His is the alternation of the night and the day. Then will you not reason?

بَلْ قَالُوا مِثْلَ مَا قَالَ الْأَوَّلُونَ

Rather, they say like what the former peoples said.

الُوا أَإِذَا مِتْنَا وَكُنَّا تُرَابًا وَعِظَامًا أَإِنَّا لَمَبْعُوثُونَ

They said, "When we have died and become dust and bones, are we indeed to be resurrected?

لَقَدْ وُعِدْنَا نَحْنُ وَآبَاؤُنَا هَٰذَا مِنْ قَبْلُ إِنْ هَٰذَا إِلَّا أَسَاطِيرُ الْأَوَّلِينَ

We have been promised this, we and our forefathers, before; this is not but legends of the former peoples.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
إِنَّهُ كَانَ فَرِيقٌ مِنْ عِبَادِي يَقُولُونَ رَبَّنَا آمَنَّا فَاغْفِرْ لَنَا وَارْحَمْنَا وَأَنْتَ خَيْرُ الرَّاحِمِينَ

Indeed, there was a party of My servants who said, 'Our Lord, we have believed, so forgive us and have mercy upon us, and You are the best of the merciful.

فَاتَّخَذْتُمُوهُمْ سِخْرِيًّا حَتَّىٰ أَنْسَوْكُمْ ذِكْرِي وَكُنْتُمْ مِنْهُمْ تَضْحَكُونَ

But you took them in mockery to the point that they made you forget My remembrance, and you used to laugh at them.

إِنِّي جَزَيْتُهُمُ الْيَوْمَ بِمَا صَبَرُوا أَنَّهُمْ هُمُ الْفَائِزُونَ

Indeed, I have rewarded them this Day for their patient endurance - that they are the attainers [of success]."

قَالَ كَمْ لَبِثْتُمْ فِي الْأَرْضِ عَدَدَ سِنِينَ

[ Allah ] will say, "How long did you remain on earth in number of years?"

قَالُوا لَبِثْنَا يَوْمًا أَوْ بَعْضَ يَوْمٍ فَاسْأَلِ الْعَادِّينَ

They will say, "We remained a day or part of a day; ask those who enumerate."

May Allah Makes Us Among The Ones Who Say:

Our Lord, we have believed, so forgive us and have mercy upon us, and You are the best of the merciful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good read.

At times, some of us may feel like we have committed too many sins and too many of those sins have been the same sins, repeated over and over. This can cause a person to lose hope and think that Allah will not forgive them. This can also lead a person to commit even more sins because they think they have so many sins that a few more will not make a difference to their fate on the day of Judgement.

Do not give up on the mercy of Allah. If you sin, pray for forgiveness. Do not think that you are doomed - because you're not. The following hadith serves as a good reminder of Allah's mercy:

The Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam) said: “Allah, Blessed and Exalted is He, says, ‘O son of Adam, as long as you call on Me, I shall forgive you of what you have done, and think nothing of it. O son of Adam, even if your sins were to reach up to the clouds in the sky, and then you were to ask for My forgiveness, I would forgive you and think nothing of it. O son of Adam, even if you were to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth, and then you were to meet Me after death, not worshipping anything besides Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great as the earth.’” [Tirmidhi]
Man assaulted and house burned down for organising religious sermon in Burma.

Burma Times Correspondent: April 22, 2015

A man has been brutally assaulted by BGP and his house burned for organising a Muslim religious sermon in Nara Bil, Maungdaw North.

Md Rafique s/o Md Harun held the programme on Friday. Some Rakhine men uncomfortable with the programme complained to the BGP.

The next day BGP arrested and assaulted Harun. During the beatings, Harun received multiple injuries all over his body.

He was later released on payment of 500,000 kyats.

At the same time, some Rakhines went into the village and burned his house down, totally destroying it.

BGP later assaulted some other men in the village who had attended the programme.

Be Sociable, Share!
Sometimes when some Muslims,or non-Muslim, don't like a part of Islam. They attempt to undermine it by labeling that part as extremism even though it is just normal Islam. Be vary of those people, normally you find that they talk rubbish and cannot actually back up their point when questioned.

How tobacco firms tried to undermine Muslim countries' smoking ban
Attempts to tackle sales threat by framing criticism of smoking as fundamentalist fanaticism are outlined in cache of documents from 1970s until late 1990s

The tobacco industry attempted to reinterpret Islamic teaching and recruit Islamic scholars in a bid to undermine the prohibition on smoking in many Muslim countries, an investigation has shown.

Evidence from archived industry documents from the 1970s to the late 1990s shows that tobacco companies were seriously concerned about Islamic teaching. In 1996, an internal document from British American Tobacco warned that, because of the spread of “extremist views” from fundamentalists in countries such as Afghanistan, the industry would have to “prepare to fight a hurricane”.

BAT and other companies, which were losing sales in affluent countries where anti-smoking measures had been introduced, devised strategies to counter this perceived threat to sales in places such as Egypt, Indonesia and Bangladesh, which have large populations of young people who smoke.

The industry was concerned that the World Health Organisation was encouraging the anti-smoking stance of Islamic leaders. A 1985 report from tobacco firm Philip Morris squarely blamed the WHO. “This ideological development has become a threat to our business because of the interference of the WHO The WHO has not only joined forces with Moslem fundamentalists who view smoking as evil, but has gone yet further by encouraging religious leaders previously not active anti-smokers to take up the cause,” it said.

“A Moslem who attacks smoking generally speaking would be a threat to existing government as a ‘fundamentalist’ who wishes to return to sharia law,” says one of the archive documents. It adds: “Our invisible defence must be the individualism which Islam allows its believers smoking and other signs of modern living should encourage governments to a point at which it is possible quietly to suggest their benefits.”

It adds: “With Islam we might ask what other aspects of modern living are similarly open to extremist demands for prohibition under strict interpretation of sharia: motion pictures, television, and art depicting the human being? Use of electronic amplification by muezzin calling from a minaret? The education of women?” the document says.

The earliest fatwa against tobacco was in 1602, but many scholars believed smoking cigarettes or taking tobacco in water pipes or other forms was harmless until evidence of the dangers to health began to emerge in the mid 20th century. Jurists pronounced that tobacco use was makrooh (discouraged). In many Islamic countries, a harder line was taken, with smoking prohibited on the grounds that the Qur’an does not permit self-harm or intoxication.

The WHO negotiated the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, starting in 1999, in response to what it describes as the “explosive increase in tobacco use”. The convention, which outlines strategies intended to reduce demand, was adopted in 2003.

A report in 2000 from the Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (Cora) department at BAT after the first international negotiations said: “It appears that the WHO’s efforts to link religion (specifically Islam) with issues surrounding the use of tobacco are bearing fruit We will need to discuss separately how we might understand and manage this aspect in line with the Cora strategy.”

The tobacco industry attempted to re-interpret anti-smoking Islamic teachings. A 1996 BAT memo suggests identifying “a scholar/scholars, preferably at the Al Azhar University in Cairo, who we could then brief and enlist as our authoritative advisers/allies and occasionally spokespersons on the issue.

“We agreed that such scholars/authority would need to be paired up with an influential Moslem writer/journalist such advice would present the most effective and influential opinion able to counter extremist views, which are generally peddled by Islamic fundamentalist preachers largely misinterpreting the Koran This is an issue to be handled extremely gingerly and sensitively We have to avoid all possibilities of a backlash.”

Tobacco industry lawyers were also involved in this attempt at revision. A presentation from 2000, prepared by the firm Shook, Hardy and Bacon, gave an overview of the background to Islam and smoking, with slides stating that there is no prohibition on smoking in the Qur’an and that “making rules beyond what Allah has allowed is a sin in itself”.

Prof Mark Petticrew from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, who led the research, said he was amazed by what researchers had found in the archives. “‘You couldn’t make it up’ comes to mind,” he said. “The thing that jumps out at me from all this is the fact that we had tobacco industry lawyers actually developing theological arguments. That was pretty surprising.”

A document suggest Philip Morris wanted to try to recruit Islamic scholars at McGill University in Montreal, Canada. A representative of the Canadian Tobacco Manufacturers’ Council “agreed to make exploratory contact”, it says. Petticrew and his team do not know whether they were successful. “We couldn’t find the papers,” he said.

The tobacco industry is still heavily promoting smoking in countries such as Bangladesh and Egypt, which are predominantly Muslim and have high proportions of smokers.

Its marketing is generally adapted to the “not overly devout”, says the study. The authors call for further research to find out how the industry had approached other faiths.

“The launch of the Faith Against Tobacco national campaign by Tobacco Free Kids and faith leaders in the US, for example, brings together Christianity, Islam, Judaism and other faiths ‘to support proven solutions to reduce smoking’. Understanding efforts by the industry to undermine the efforts of other faith communities brings to light a broader strategy to marginalise tobacco control in diverse communities, and refocuses the problem on tobacco-related health harms,” says the paper.

BAT told the Guardian. “This study, which concerns material written nearly 20 years ago, does not represent the views, policies and position of British American Tobacco. We are a global business that holds itself to strict standards of business conduct and corporate governance, manufacturing and marketing our products in accordance with domestic and international laws and observing the cultural and religious beliefs in the 200 countries in which we operate.”

Philip Morris did not respond to the Guardian’s request for comment.
Original post by Queen Cersei
Hey everyone!

Sorry to disrupt the thread, I just wanted to let you all know that the I-SOC will be moving to a new home this afternoon! We have set up a Faith and Spirituality forum for religion societies and threads as the current location in the Debate forum isn't suitable for the purpose of these threads and, as you all know, disruption can be caused which derails the conversation.

The new forum sits in Life & Style and can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1205 and anyone attempting to troll/debate can now be redirected to the Religion forum in D&CA instead!

I hope you enjoy your new home! :h:

I logged on today to a nice surprise in the introduction of this section. I think it's a great move, thanks. Following the discussion in the help & feedback topic on the matter, a dedicated place for spiritual talk and chat is a lot more suitable than the hotbed of the debate section! And there already seems to be a lot less trouble in soc threads, specifically the I-soc in its new home. :yy:
Original post by Alpha Lamb Meme
I logged on today to a nice surprise in the introduction of this section. I think it's a great move, thanks. Following the discussion in the help & feedback topic on the matter, a dedicated place for spiritual talk and chat is a lot more suitable than the hotbed of the debate section! And there already seems to be a lot less trouble in soc threads, specifically the I-soc in its new home. :yy:

I am so happy to hear this and so pleased that there seems to be a lot less trouble in the threads- any problems just report it and we will sort it out :smile:
Original post by Queen Cersei
I am so happy to hear this and so pleased that there seems to be a lot less trouble in the threads- any problems just report it and we will sort it out :smile:

May allah reward you with good for all the things you do for us, sister :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
25:25to top

Sahih International
And [mention] the Day when the heaven will split open with [emerging] clouds, and the angels will be sent down in successive descent.

25:26to top

Sahih International
True sovereignty, that Day, is for the Most Merciful. And it will be upon the disbelievers a difficult Day.

25:27to top

Sahih International
And the Day the wrongdoer will bite on his hands [in regret] he will say, "Oh, I wish I had taken with the Messenger a way.

25:28to top

Sahih International
Oh, woe to me! I wish I had not taken that one as a friend.

25:29to top

Sahih International
He led me away from the remembrance after it had come to me. And ever is Satan, to man, a deserter."

25:30to top

Sahih International
And the Messenger has said, "O my Lord, indeed my people have taken this Qur'an as [a thing] abandoned."

"First, there are increasingly strident calls for reform of Islamic ways of life (coming from non Muslims, which is to be expected, and also from Muslims themselves). Even if the call for reform was well-meant often its rationale neither begins nor ends in the Quran and Sunnah. Rather the proposed reform is often concerned to 'face up to modern realities' and to adopt norms and values that have appealed to peoples who have no grounding in Islam at all or have rejected it. Accordingly, Qur'an and Sunnah - even though both are presented by God as his special mercy for human beings - are considered as a nuisance, an obstacle, that somehow the reform must talk it's way around. Without saying it out loud, proposed reforms of this kind must strongly wish that the Qur'an and Sunnah did not exist or did not have any hold on the hearts and minds of the Muslims. By contrast, Abu Hanifah and the other great imams of the law got their intellectual energy and inventiveness from, and used it within, the boundaries of the Quran and Sunnah"

From the Preface of the book "Abu Hanifah, His Life, Legal Method & Legacy" by Shaykh Akram Nadwi.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone up for a Quiz?

Anyone up for a Quiz?

Hit me up brother

Just dont ask too hard questions cos im not the most learned guy :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h. radiation
Hit me up brother

Just dont ask too hard questions cos im not the most learned guy :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As im all about Hadeeth.

Name 1 of the 5 criteria that is required for a hadeeth to be Saheeh.

:colone:
As im all about Hadeeth.

Name 1 of the 5 criteria that is required for a hadeeth to be Saheeh.

:colone:

All of the narrators in the chain must know each other?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thought I'd give Arabic writing a go :redface:

He said, "O my people, have you considered: if I am upon clear evidence from my Lord and He has provided me with a good provision from Him... ? And I do not intend to differ from you in that which I have forbidden you; I only intend reform as much as I am able. And my success is not but through Allah . Upon him I have relied, and to Him I return.
(Qur'an 11:88)

Latest