The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
Tolerance with people in Islam

lol actually forgot to link the article:

http://www.faithinallah.org/tolerance-with-people-in-islam/
The United Nations has advised Arab countries to take Imam Ali bin Abi Talib (AS) as an example in establishing a regime based on justice and democracy and encouraging knowledge. The UNDP in its 2002 Arab Human Development Report, distributed around the world, listed six sayings of Imam Ali (AS) about ideal governance. They include consultation between the ruler and the ruled, speaking out against corruption and other wrong doings, ensuring justice to all, and achieving domestic development. The UNDP said most regional countries are still far behind other nations in democracy, wide political representation, women's participation, development and knowledge. Imam Ali bin Abi Talib (AS)'s sayings: The UNDP quoted the following sayings of Imam Ali (AS) in its 2002 Arab Human Development Report:

1. "He who has appointed himself an Imam (ruler) of the people must begin by teaching himself before teaching others. His teaching of others must be first by setting an example rather than with his words, for he who begins by teaching and educating himself is more worthy of respect than he who teaches and educates others."

2. "Your concern with developing the land should be greater than your concern for collecting taxes, for the latter can only be obtained by developing; whereas he who seeks revenue without development destroys the country and the people."

3. "Seek the company of the learned and the wise in search of solving the problems of your country and the righteousness of your people."

4. "No good can come out in keeping silent to the government or in speaking out of ignorance."

5. "The righteous are men of virtue, whose logic is straightforward, whose dress is unostentatious, whose path is modest, whose actions are many and who are undeterred by difficulties."

6. "Choose the best among your people to administer justice among them. Choose someone who does not easily give up, who is unruffled by enmities, someone who will not persist in wrong doings, who will not hesitate to pursue right once he knows it, someone whose heart knows no greed, who will not be satisfied with a minimum of explanation without seeking the maximum of understanding, who will be the most steadfast when doubt is cast, who will be the least impatient in correcting the opponent, the most patient in pursuing the truth, the most stern in meting out judgment, someone who is unaffected by flattery and not swayed by temptation and these are but few."
Salam everyone. I'd just like to know if there is any good Islam vs Atheism debaters out there that you know of. Currently, I only know of Hamza Tzortis and Nouman Ali Khan.
Original post by Tawheed
Ali Ibn Abi Talib a.s is reported to have said:

"Remember, Maalik, that amongst your subjects there are two kinds of people: those who have the same religion as you have; they are brothers to you, and those who have religions other than that of yours, they are human beings like you. Men of either category suffer from the same weaknesses and disabilities that human beings are inclined to, they commit sins, indulge in vices either intentionally or foolishly and unintentionally without realizing the enormity of their deeds. Let your mercy and compassion come to their rescue and help in the same way and to the same extent that you expect Allah to show mercy and forgiveness to you".

Letter 53 - To Malik Al Ashtor for Governance
Nahajul Balagaha

Mehdi hassan quoted him in his speech which I was watching a few days ago. I really love this.
This is really worth a watch.

Mehdi Hassan is awesome imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMXiRTajigo
Original post by ttaylor17
"He made the Hereafter an abode to reward His believing servants only because this world cannot contain what He wishes to bestow upon them and because He deemed their worth too high to reward them in a world without permanance."
Ibn Ataa'illah Al Iskandari (May Allah have Mercy on him)

:cry:

SubhaanAllahi wa biHamdihi, subhaanAllahi al-'Azheem.
(Glory (such that is beyond any other, far from any other) be to Allah, and praise and thanks be to Him. Glory (such that is beyond any other, far from any other) be to Allah, The Great (so much so that His greatness cannot be fully encompassed by our knowledge; anything which we conclude, He is greater than that, He is beyond our absolute comprehension with regards to His majesty))

Spoiler

Original post by Iqbal007
‎"The good deed and the evil deed cannot be equal. Repel (the evil) with one which is better (i.e. Allâh orders the faithful believers to be patient at the time of anger, and to excuse those who treat them badly), then verily! he, between whom and you there was enmity, (will become) as though he was a close friend." (The Qur'an 41:34)

Original post by Iqbal007
“Assist one another in (matters of) piety and righteousness and do not assist one another in sin and transgression.” [Surah Al-Maa’idah: 2]

straightforward question - why do you post strings of these quranic quotes, but never quotes referring to the beheading / attacking of 'unbelievers' ( of which there are many more references in the quran than piety) or the capturing of slaves/ right hand possesstions.

and secondly why is there only one female character mentioned compared with maybe 40 males
Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
lol actually forgot to link the article:

http://www.faithinallah.org/tolerance-with-people-in-islam/

Lol, I was wondering why you posted the text so big on its own :tongue:

Original post by FlareBlitz96
Salam everyone. I'd just like to know if there is any good Islam vs Atheism debaters out there that you know of. Currently, I only know of Hamza Tzortis and Nouman Ali Khan.

There aren't many that give atheism much attention because it is paradoxical to faith.

Original post by Thuggee
straightforward question - why do you post strings of these quranic quotes, but never quotes referring to the beheading / attacking of 'unbelievers' ( of which there are many more references in the quran than piety) or the capturing of slaves/ right hand possesstions.

and secondly why is there only one female character mentioned compared with maybe 40 males

Are you familiar with the concept of probability?
Here is how it works:

There are 100 people in a room.
10 have a bag, 90 don't.
70 are women, 30 are men.
Each sex is equally likely to have a bag.
You pick one which walks past you.
The likelihood is that you will pick someone who is a woman, not in possession of a bag.
Ergo, probability.

Most ayaat don't talk about inflicting punishment upon others.
Most scholars of Islam were men.
Ergo, probability.
Original post by Tawheed

May Allah ta'ala reward him and the other martyrs immensely, and may He elevate their rank in Jannah.
Original post by ash92:)
Lol, I was wondering why you posted the text so big on its own :tongue:

There aren't many that give atheism much attention because it is paradoxical to faith.

Are you familiar with the concept of probability?
Here is how it works:

There are 100 people in a room.
10 have a bag, 90 don't.
70 are women, 30 are men.
Each sex is equally likely to have a bag.
You pick one which walks past you.
The likelihood is that you will pick someone who is a woman, not in possession of a bag.
Ergo, probability.

Most ayaat don't talk about inflicting punishment upon others.
Most scholars of Islam were men.
Ergo, probability.

but there are plenty of ones that do talk about that and related subjects (more than of piety anyway)
and yes, im familiar with the concept of probability but i assume you arnt trying to say that men outnumbered women 40 to 1 in the days of the quran.

so i dont really understand what you are saying here ether , the quran is not soley a compedium of male islamic scholars, it contained stories about various different people. I asked the question of Iqbal, to see what his reasoning was
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Thuggee
yes, im familiar with the concept but i assume you arnt trying to say that men outnumbered women 40 to 1 in the days of the quran.

so i dont really understand what you are saying, the quran is not soley a compedium of male islamic scholars, it contained stories about various different people. I asked the question of Iqbal

Nope, but Muslim men may have outnumbered women - more so in foreign lands. As such, this was also the case with scholarship.

You've lost me with the second bit.

Spoiler

I don't know why so many people possess the misconception that Islam is unfair in regards to women. My goodness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ash92:)
Nope, but Muslim men may have outnumbered women - more so in foreign lands. As such, this was also the case with scholarship.

You've lost me with the second bit.

Spoiler

the first part is almost certainly untrue, given that the islamic reasoning for men haveing up to 4 wives was the opposite - ie that there were more women around than men ( due to wars etc)

the second part to re-iterate was asking iqbal why the posting of strings of quotes about piety, when in fact in there are subjects for more regualry referred to such as punishments, wars with unbelievers, even capturing of slaves ( ie the spoils of war chapter of the quran) it would also prob be the case that most other people dont post these quotes from the same book very often here either - are they meaning less to muslims in ISoc?

Note i asked these question of Iqbal, but seeing as you made the point of replying and raising the above points, im answering - ie not a debate :rolleyes:
Original post by beautifulxxx
I don't know why so many people possess the misconception that Islam is unfair in regards to women. My goodness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

im curious why only one women is given status by name in the quran compared to 40+ males.
Original post by Thuggee

the second part to re-iterate was asking iqbal why the posting of strings of quotes about piety, when in fact in there are subjects for more regualry referred to such as punishments, wars with unbelievers, even capturing of slaves ( ie the spoils of war chapter of the quran) it would also prob be the case that most other people dont post these quotes from the same book very often here either - are they meaning less to muslims in ISoc?

Iqbal and every Muslim can post whatever the hell they want to.
Original post by Thuggee
the first part is almost certainly untrue, given that the islamic reasoning for men haveing up to 4 wives was the opposite - ie that there were more women around than men ( due to wars etc)

Note i asked these question of Iqbal, but seeing as you made the point of replying and raising the above points, im answering - ie not a debate :rolleyes:

Must these wives have all been Muslim? Were they more likely to be scholars and to travel around the Muslim lands for knowledge?

The bold is misinformation.
In fact, quotes about punishment are indeed posted, such as those that describe hell.

Original post by Thuggee
im curious why only one women is given status by name in the quran compared to 40+ males.

Please elaborate in the ask about Islam thread :smile:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا قُوا أَنفُسَكُمْ وَأَهْلِيكُمْ نَارًا وَقُودُهَا النَّاسُ وَالْحِجَارَةُ عَلَيْهَا مَلَائِكَةٌ غِلَاظٌ شِدَادٌ لَّا يَعْصُونَ اللَّهَ مَا أَمَرَهُمْ وَيَفْعَلُونَ مَا يُؤْمَرُونَ
O you who have believed, protect yourselves and your families from a Fire whose fuel is people and stones, over which are [appointed] angels, harsh and severe; they do not disobey Allah in what He commands them but do what they are commanded.

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا لَا تَعْتَذِرُوا الْيَوْمَ ۖ إِنَّمَا تُجْزَوْنَ مَا كُنتُمْ تَعْمَلُونَ
O you who have disbelieved, make no excuses that Day. You will only be recompensed for what you used to do.

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا تُوبُوا إِلَى اللَّهِ تَوْبَةً نَّصُوحًا عَسَىٰ رَبُّكُمْ أَن يُكَفِّرَ عَنكُمْ سَيِّئَاتِكُمْ وَيُدْخِلَكُمْ جَنَّاتٍ تَجْرِي مِن تَحْتِهَا الْأَنْهَارُ يَوْمَ لَا يُخْزِي اللَّهُ النَّبِيَّ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا مَعَهُ ۖ نُورُهُمْ يَسْعَىٰ بَيْنَ أَيْدِيهِمْ وَبِأَيْمَانِهِمْ يَقُولُونَ رَبَّنَا أَتْمِمْ لَنَا نُورَنَا وَاغْفِرْ لَنَا ۖ إِنَّكَ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدِيرٌ
O you who have believed, repent to Allah with sincere repentance. Perhaps your Lord will remove from you your misdeeds and admit you into gardens beneath which rivers flow [on] the Day when Allah will not disgrace the Prophet and those who believed with him. Their light will proceed before them and on their right; they will say, "Our Lord, perfect for us our light and forgive us. Indeed, You are over all things competent."

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ جَاهِدِ الْكُفَّارَ وَالْمُنَافِقِينَ وَاغْلُظْ عَلَيْهِمْ ۚ وَمَأْوَاهُمْ جَهَنَّمُ ۖ وَبِئْسَ الْمَصِيرُ
O Prophet, strive against the disbelievers and the hypocrites and be harsh upon them. And their refuge is Hell, and wretched is the destination.

ضَرَبَ اللَّهُ مَثَلًا لِّلَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا امْرَأَتَ نُوحٍ وَامْرَأَتَ لُوطٍ ۖ كَانَتَا تَحْتَ عَبْدَيْنِ مِنْ عِبَادِنَا صَالِحَيْنِ فَخَانَتَاهُمَا فَلَمْ يُغْنِيَا عَنْهُمَا مِنَ اللَّهِ شَيْئًا وَقِيلَ ادْخُلَا النَّارَ مَعَ الدَّاخِلِينَ
Allah presents an example of those who disbelieved: the wife of Noah and the wife of Lot. They were under two of Our righteous servants but betrayed them, so those prophets did not avail them from Allah at all, and it was said, "Enter the Fire with those who enter."

وَضَرَبَ اللَّهُ مَثَلًا لِّلَّذِينَ آمَنُوا امْرَأَتَ فِرْعَوْنَ إِذْ قَالَتْ رَبِّ ابْنِ لِي عِندَكَ بَيْتًا فِي الْجَنَّةِ وَنَجِّنِي مِن فِرْعَوْنَ وَعَمَلِهِ وَنَجِّنِي مِنَ الْقَوْمِ الظَّالِمِينَ
And Allah presents an example of those who believed: the wife of Pharaoh, when she said, "My Lord, build for me near You a house in Paradise and save me from Pharaoh and his deeds and save me from the wrongdoing people."

وَمَرْيَمَ ابْنَتَ عِمْرَانَ الَّتِي أَحْصَنَتْ فَرْجَهَا فَنَفَخْنَا فِيهِ مِن رُّوحِنَا وَصَدَّقَتْ بِكَلِمَاتِ رَبِّهَا وَكُتُبِهِ وَكَانَتْ مِنَ الْقَانِتِينَ
And [the example of] Mary, the daughter of 'Imran, who guarded her chastity, so We blew into [her garment] through Our angel, and she believed in the words of her Lord and His scriptures and was of the devoutly obedient.

[Surah at-Tahreem, ayaat 6-12]
Original post by Ganhad
Yukawa beheaded by isis. that should make japan think twice before giving water and food and blankets to the arabs and muslims this is how they repay you.

The two terms 'Arabs' and 'ISIS' are not equivalent. If you wish to discuss this matter, I ask that you take it to the ISIS thread :smile:

Sahih International
Indeed, those who reject the message after their belief and then increase in disbelief - never will their [claimed] repentance be accepted, and they are the ones astray.

[Quran 3:90]

Latest

Trending

Trending