Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm a second-year student here at Northumbria and I'm willing to answer any of your general questions about life here/accommodation/applications etc. I also work for our SU and am part of the Welcome Week and Applicant Day teams, so I can give you advise on what our SU and university have to offer from a student's perspective.

I'll try help with course specific things, but may have to point you elsewhere or get you to email someone else.

If anyone has any questions or would like some advice, leave it below!

ReputationRep:
    How did you find the halls that you stayed in? I want to go to Northumbria, but the only thing holding me back is the accommodation. Were the people friendly and up for a laugh?

ReputationRep:
    The thing to remember about accommodation is everyone is in the same boat, so initially things seem strange for everyone, but everyone settles in quickly and 95% of people you meet are friendly and up for a laugh (from my experience anyway). You become your own little family.

ReputationRep:
    I've been asked to create a cv for the fashion communication interview,what's best to include?

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused as to when exactly students all move into their accommodation, it asks on the application what date I will move in. I think the course start date is Monday 14th September does that mean freshers is weeks before this so I would move in way before this date? Or do I move in just the weekend before? No where tells me the key dates around September and I really want to book accommodation sooner rather than later.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    How do you usually take notes during lectures? Do you only revise from lectures' notes when it comes to exams? When do you start your revisions and what's the best way to revise? What grades did u obtained in your first year? What's the exam questions like? It best to stop there,otherwise we will sleep here,
    Thanks,

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caseycockerill)
    I've been asked to create a cv for the fashion communication interview,what's best to include?
    I'm not a current student but have firmed Fashion Design & Marketing, I think the Fashion Coms CVs are visual? So basically include loads of photos of things that kind of represent you, here's a link to more info in case you haven't seen it already:

https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-...tfolio-guides/

ReputationRep:
    As a student at northumbria you could really help me with my dissertation by filling out this questionnaire
    http://goo.gl/forms/Ajs0GmF3Zb

Thanks if you can help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaspia123)
    I'm confused as to when exactly students all move into their accommodation, it asks on the application what date I will move in. I think the course start date is Monday 14th September does that mean freshers is weeks before this so I would move in way before this date? Or do I move in just the weekend before? No where tells me the key dates around September and I really want to book accommodation sooner rather than later.
    Thank you
    Yes, you will start on the 14th, but this should be your induction week (basically an introduction to your course and university life), which is the same week as fresher's week.

I booked to move up the weekend before, so move the 12th if you can in order to get settled in. Most accommodations move in bit-by-bit anyways, so they'll probably tell you you can move in from a date closer to the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jboy peace)
    How do you usually take notes during lectures? Do you only revise from lectures' notes when it comes to exams? When do you start your revisions and what's the best way to revise? What grades did u obtained in your first year? What's the exam questions like? It best to stop there,otherwise we will sleep here,
    Thanks,

Posted from TSR Mobile
    On just about every course, you should make your own notes. Some lecturers even let you record them (its best to ask first). Tutors often use a system called Blackboard to upload their presentations for you to review as well.

As for revision, I tend to look at my notes and the presentations, then write them up. As I'm on a programming degree, I'll also do some exercises if they'll be on the exam. I normally start revising about two or three weeks before exams, but that varies depending on what exam I feel more confident in, or when they all are.

And last year I got a 2:1 overall by doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp247)
    Yes, you will start on the 14th, but this should be your induction week (basically an introduction to your course and university life), which is the same week as fresher's week.

I booked to move up the weekend before, so move the 12th if you can in order to get settled in. Most accommodations move in bit-by-bit anyways, so they'll probably tell you you can move in from a date closer to the time
    Great thank you! I'm actually moving on the 11th just so i can get there first haha before theres hundreds of people moving in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caseycockerill)

hey you're applying for fashion communication with business studies at brighton? i originally applied for fashion with bs at brighton and have now been told that i am no longer being considered for that and instead they will give me an interview for fash communication. i have no idea what the course is or what it includes or entails, would you be able to help me ?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.