Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The question to the coursework I got given is as:
    "Critically evaluate the view that no one model of the offending behaviour of children and young people exclusively explains the problem"

My lecturer said if you list the models and then just state theories the max you will get is a 2.2

I'm confused into how I can get a 2.1, like what views would I have to critically evaluate?

If you had a question like this in your course, please explain how you answered to get a 2.1 or above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IH8Revision)
    The question to the coursework I got given is as:
    "Critically evaluate the view that no one model of the offending behaviour of children and young people exclusively explains the problem"

My lecturer said if you list the models and then just state theories the max you will get is a 2.2

I'm confused into how I can get a 2.1, like what views would I have to critically evaluate?

If you had a question like this in your course, please explain how you answered to get a 2.1 or above
    Hi. The main issue is that when you come from A level, your taught to list theories and list their limitations. To get a first, you need to make your essay into an argument where every paragraph builds on to an overall argument, which answers the question.

If your just listing models and stating theories, that isn't putting any thought into constructing an essay. You may aswell just copy and paste your notes into an essay.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iammichealjackson)
    Hi. The main issue is that when you come from A level, your taught to list theories and list their limitations. To get a first, you need to make your essay into an argument where every paragraph builds on to an overall argument, which answers the question.

If your just listing models and stating theories, that isn't putting any thought into constructing an essay. You may aswell just copy and paste your notes into an essay.....
    so i would make an argument, show relevant evidence which support this and then make a counter argument?

ReputationRep:
    so i would make an argument, show relevant evidence which support this and then make a counter argument?
    There are lots of ways you could structure it. If its a 1,500 word limit, then 3 paragraphs in support of a general argument would work. Sometimes you might want to devote a whole paragraph to a "counter-argument", however you shouldn't spend a whole paragraph just detailing an opposing theory.

In the case of this question, it depends what the mean by a "model". I don't think you can reasonably make the argument that one particular model (e.g. cognitive psychology) can explain youth offending. Statistically, this would entail that a model of youth offending (e.g. cognitive deficits in executive function or IQ) can fully predict youth offending, so that you have a perfect correlation (r=1).

You need to make a particular reasoned argument why it cannot be the case that a single model can fully explain youth offending. For example, there are multiple causes of youth offending located at different levels (social, cognitive, political).

Even logically, going back to Tinbergen's four questions about behaviour, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinberg...four_questions), are there many models of young offending that encompass explanations about how it DEVELOPS, what its CAUSES are? (maybe developmental cognitive psychology...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iammichealjackson)
    There are lots of ways you could structure it. If its a 1,500 word limit, then 3 paragraphs in support of a general argument would work. Sometimes you might want to devote a whole paragraph to a "counter-argument", however you shouldn't spend a whole paragraph just detailing an opposing theory.

In the case of this question, it depends what the mean by a "model". I don't think you can reasonably make the argument that one particular model (e.g. cognitive psychology) can explain youth offending. Statistically, this would entail that a model of youth offending (e.g. cognitive deficits in executive function or IQ) can fully predict youth offending, so that you have a perfect correlation (r=1).

You need to make a particular reasoned argument why it cannot be the case that a single model can fully explain youth offending. For example, there are multiple causes of youth offending located at different levels (social, cognitive, political).

Even logically, going back to Tinbergen's four questions about behaviour, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinberg...four_questions), are there many models of young offending that encompass explanations about how it DEVELOPS, what its CAUSES are? (maybe developmental cognitive psychology...)
    Ahh I get you! The way you just explained it made alot more sense.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I have the exact same question to answer for my coursework. How did you go about answering it and how did you do??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawcrimstudent)
    Hi! I have the exact same question to answer for my coursework. How did you go about answering it and how did you do??
    Are you at NTU? Because I went to that uni.

I'm not currently on my laptop to see what I wrote and will reply when I'm on my laptop. But from memory I think I explained one model. And after I explained it I critiqued it by saying something "however this model states.." I followed that same structure throughout the question

ReputationRep:
    Are you at NTU? Because I went to that uni.

I'm not currently on my laptop to see what I wrote and will reply when I'm on my laptop. But from memory I think I explained one model. And after I explained it I critiqued it by saying something "however this model states.." I followed that same structure throughout the question
    Yeah I am at NTU. I have written about the rational actor model and i am half way through the biological explanation however I feel that it is really long and I dont know which parts to talk about which are the most relevant! and obviously I still need to talk about the victimized actor model too.

Ive not even started attempting to link it all to the question properly! Do you have any tips? Did you just criticise everything and/or linked the models together in some way to show that not one explanation will stand alone?

Thank you for your help x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am at NTU. I have written about the rational actor model and i am half way through the biological explanation however I feel that it is really long and I dont know which parts to talk about which are the most relevant! and obviously I still need to talk about the victimized actor model too.

Ive not even started attempting to link it all to the question properly! Do you have any tips? Did you just criticise everything and/or linked the models together in some way to show that not one explanation will stand alone?

Thank you for your help x
    This might sound obvious but use Rodger! Once you have written up a plan on how to answer the question, show/tell him how you're going to answer it, as I did this to find out whether I am answering the question correctly. I also used his book, a lot, to structure my answer too

For Bio I wouldn't talk about everything. I talked about Bio chemical, Altered biological state and then talked about Drugs and alcohol intake.

I linked the models after I wrote about a model. So for example, after I wrote about the Rational Actor Model, I crticised it on saying stuff like how children, the poor-minded and the insane were treated as fully rational individuals etc and then said whether they have an similarities/differences. But towards the end I said how there is no one model as they take aspects of each model

If you are going to write about Psychological theories, keep this to a minimum and only pick out theories you think are relevant because again there's quite a lot to write about and you wont get much marks just stating the theories.

Hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    This might sound obvious but use Rodger! Once you have written up a plan on how to answer the question, show/tell him how you're going to answer it, as I did this to find out whether I am answering the question correctly. I also used his book, a lot, to structure my answer too

For Bio I wouldn't talk about everything. I talked about Bio chemical, Altered biological state and then talked about Drugs and alcohol intake.

I linked the models after I wrote about a model. So for example, after I wrote about the Rational Actor Model, I crticised it on saying stuff like how children, the poor-minded and the insane were treated as fully rational individuals etc and then said whether they have an similarities/differences. But towards the end I said how there is no one model as they take aspects of each model

If you are going to write about Psychological theories, keep this to a minimum and only pick out theories you think are relevant because again there's quite a lot to write about and you wont get much marks just stating the theories.

Hope this helps x
    Ahhh ive only just seen this but I havent made any more progress since I posted.

Thanks for your help, youve reassured me that I am on the right track as I have done as you've suggested so far. Are the psychological theories not as important then? I didnt actually attend the lecture so I dont know how much weight to give them/if any. I will crack back on with the essay soon now I know im going along the right lines!

Thank you once again x

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh ive only just seen this but I havent made any more progress since I posted.

Thanks for your help, youve reassured me that I am on the right track as I have done as you've suggested so far. Are the psychological theories not as important then? I didnt actually attend the lecture so I dont know how much weight to give them/if any. I will crack back on with the essay soon now I know im going along the right lines!

Thank you once again x
    For Psycho theories I used what was in his book. Like I just picked out the bits that I thought would be useful. I didn't go too much into detail with it. For example for The psychodynamic theory, behavourist and cognitive theorist, I just explained what it is and said whether any of the models use these aspects

ReputationRep:
    Do not describe, rather criticise. Use journals and other writers' views. Make sure you link back to the question at the end of every para. The main way to get a 2:1 is to basically be more evaluative and by evaluative, I mean most of your work should be criticising the points.

ReputationRep:
    Omd I actually took the time to write a reply to this until I saw it's an old thread :facepalm:

Here it is anyway

Spoiler:
    Show
    For a question like this, I would structure it like this;

-Introduction (brief introduction into the topic, and explain what you will be doing in this essay/the aim of this essay).

-Arguments for the statement (Go into detail into why, using your own analysis on the view backed by references) don't just repeat what the references say, evaluate them, and make it relevant to what you are talking about.

-Arguments against (same as above)

-Conclusion giving your view on the matter but acknowledging the opposing view.

I hope this makes sense, this is kinda what I did and it worked for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    Omd I actually took the time to write a reply to this until I saw it's an old thread :facepalm:

Here it is anyway
    Spoiler:
    Show
    For a question like this, I would structure it like this;

-Introduction (brief introduction into the topic, and explain what you will be doing in this essay/the aim of this essay).

-Arguments for the statement (Go into detail into why, using your own analysis on the view backed by references) don't just repeat what the references say, evaluate them, and make it relevant to what you are talking about.

-Arguments against (same as above)

-Conclusion giving your view on the matter but acknowledging the opposing view.

I hope this makes sense, this is kinda what I did and it worked for me.
    Loool I just realised.

If only I knew, if only.

ReputationRep:
    For Psycho theories I used what was in his book. Like I just picked out the bits that I thought would be useful. I didn't go too much into detail with it. For example for The psychodynamic theory, behavourist and cognitive theorist, I just explained what it is and said whether any of the models use these aspects
    Okay cool. I will just pick a few bits out. I have decided to move onto the victimised actor model and then I will go back and add in the psychological approach when I shorten the essay down as I am already over the word count somehow!

I'm really struggling with the V.A.Model. I understand labelling theory but I'm so lost with basically everything else to do with it. I also cant really find much criticism.

Wish there was other texts to look at - I HATE roger's book!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi IH8Revision,

You were asking about how to get a 2.1 in Psychology, what makes a good essay and also how to do critical analysis. I posted a link to a book called 'Psychology Essays' that I bought on Kindle which helped me (because I struggle with this as well, lol!) But the moderates declined it - don't know why.

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you want the details, presumably that's allowed.

Cheers,

Jen :-)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 18, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.