Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yo Ireland hows the fail?

Gaelic Speaking Regions in 1926

Gaelic Speaking Regions in 1956

Gaelic Speaking Regions in 2007

I gotta say thats so much fail... that like... its depressingly humorous at how badly you have owned yourselves.

seems like you finished off what the english didn't!

ReputationRep:
    A great shame that we treated Ireland as harshly as we did with the famines, we should have never let her go. Here's to Ireland rejoining the UK and making the British Isles whole again.

ReputationRep:
    Most people in Ireland speak Gaelic to some degree, just that English is the first language.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Ireland and we were actually not far from one of the gaeltacht regions. They had Gaelic speaking tv channels and raido channels and all that so there is an effort there to preserve the language. Plus you had bilingual signs and all that, but at the end of the day, if it's not useful and humans being lazy by nature, people aren't going to be bothered learning a second language or choose to switch over to the more dominant language. Look at the various indigenous languages in South America which are dying out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Most people in Ireland speak Gaelic to some degree, just that English is the first language.
    Right. but they don't speak it. it's becoming like latin. in fact. i'd say the battles allready lost. and it IS like latin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    A great shame that we treated Ireland as harshly as we did with the famines, we should have never let her go. Here's to Ireland rejoining the UK and making the British Isles whole again.
    Ireland will never rejoin the UK, there's more chance of the north joining the republic and let's be honest that's not going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perfectsymbology)
    I've been to Ireland and we were actually not far from one of the gaeltacht regions. They had Gaelic speaking tv channels and raido channels and all that so there is an effort there to preserve the language. Plus you had bilingual signs and all that, but at the end of the day, if it's not useful and humans being lazy by nature, people aren't going to be bothered learning a second language or choose to switch over to the more dominant language. Look at the various indigenous languages in South America which are dying out.
    I am myself Irish and from a place that used to be part of the gaeltacht but is no longer.

TG4 and Radio na Gaeltacht are pretty much the only bastions left.
    TG4 doesn't even play 24 hours. it for some reason bizarrely switches over to french tv at a certain time of the night.

Not all signs are Bilingual but they are also pointless if no one can read them.

Yea and I think efforts need to be made to bring those south american languages back as well.

I'd recommend reading this.
    http://www.irishcentral.com/Why-the-...-Ireland-.html

Personally I think much damage was done to the Irish language by the British. I do recall the the teaching technique which considered of having a wooden plank tied around the pupils neck with notches on it. If the child spoke a word of gaelic a notch would be made on the plank. When the there was 5 notches made the child would then be beaten.

Harsh actions were made to destroy the language. I believe harsh action must be taken to revive it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    True dat 👌

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    LOL not a single **** is given here, Irish people are prejudiced/xenophobic against english people in my experience because they're butthurt about **** that happened like 100 years ago so **** em

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg Jackson)
    LOL not a single **** is given here, Irish people are prejudiced/xenophobic against english people in my experience because they're butthurt about **** that happened like 100 years ago so **** em
    the british didnt allow the irish the right to vote, they censored political parties from the media, sided with loyalist terrorists, backed a corrupt police force and were corrupt and prejudice themselves agains the irish people. then of course there was bloody sunday. where they shot at a civil rights march.

so yea considering america has been less oppressive to black people than the brits have been to the irish the fact that you think we are "butthurt" about stuff that happened "100 years ago"

says to me that 1. you are a moron and 2. you don't have a clue about what your talking about.

ReputationRep:
    They're all IRA supporters. I hope that map is completely white by the end of the decade. They murdered one of my family which then caused my parents to split up which at the age I was was horrendous and they get pride and satisfaction out of these things when there's no shame on feeling bad about it. Also the kick they get out enough is enough to motivate them to do it over and over and over again because for people who start fires they usually come back and watch it burn to see the damage they have caused so they can be caught easily then haha and this is hard to imagine but some places on that map are worse than Lebanon. It's the single most divided region in the world and the race hate Capitol of Europe if not the world.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.