Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tories say NHS,immigration & EU aren't top election issues! and ignore them watch

ReputationRep:
    The Tories say immigration, the EU & NHS are not important election issues and those issue won't form a key part of their manifesto. Clearly the NHS is a key issue for almost all voters and the EU & immigration are also key issues particularly for traditional Tory voters

So what is the Tory thinking on this? How can anyone think it is a good election policy or tactic not to include the key issues in your manifesto? Anyone think this is the right approach?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-concern.html
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...n-9971389.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    The Tories say immigration, the EU & NHS are not important election issues and those issue won't form a key part of their manifesto. Clearly the NHS is a key issue for almost all voters and the EU & immigration are also key issues particularly for traditional Tory voters

So what is the Tory thinking on this? How can anyone think it is a good election policy or tactic not to include the key issues in your manifesto? Anyone think this is the right approach?

Cameron is a fool. Which is why I will be voting UKIP. Although I do like Cameron's emphasis of the deficit. Immigration and the EU are important concerns, but fixing them will do you as much good as wearing a fur coat on the beach if you're still in the red. Balancing the books is the first order of business for any company, and what is a government, if not a company writ large?

I am not, on the whole, entirely anti-EU as a theoretical proposition; but I do believe that the question of whether to stay in or out should be put to the electorate, and if such a referendum happened, I would vote 'out'. This would be because of practical problems with implementing the idea, and the vast amount of money going to Brussels, more than any sort of 'loss of British culture'.

NHS --- privatise it, 'nuff said. Such an important thing as health should not be left in the hands of government, which is infamous for buggering things up even when given something that is pristine and unbuggered, along with a gigantic sign that says 'Do Not Bugger This Up'.

ReputationRep:

The manifesto will include hundreds of policy commitments so he's not saying that these issues won't be included, simply that they won't be the focus. I think that not having immigration as a key policy is a little risky however he's probably made the right call on the EU, while hard Tories and kippers might throth at the mouth over it, most people either don't care or only mildly dislike it.

If you look at his six key policies then actually they don't look bad..

economic deficit, creating jobs, lowering taxes, improving education, tackling housing shortages and helping the retired.
    The deficit is something that everybody accepts and wants gone. No more votes to be gained there i think but one has to include it as the issue of the day.

Jobs is a popular focus to a wide range of the electorate. Votes to be gained here.

Taxes are a popular focus to a wide range of the electorate. Votes to be gained here.

Education is a popular focus on the face of it but i don't think there are many votes since it takes so long for the effects to be felt and you end up battling teaching unions which polarizes voting.

Housing shortage is pretty popular outside the Tory shires so plenty of votes to be gained (45% of bought and paid for home owners voted Tory in 2010) although i severely doubt they'll do what is required to really address this.

Helping the retired is often seen as pandering to old people, but old people in turn love it. They won't lose votes here but it's ultimately about beating Labour for the 'grey vote'.

Education should have probably been replaced with non-EU immigration i think.

Actually a little pleased he's not gone solely for the Ukip vote. There are more votes to be gained from the center than the right i feel and a lot of these policy areas have wide appeal in the floating middle England.

ReputationRep:
    He is trying to move the emphasis off of the EU immigration. However he has been trying to do that for a year or so and failed absolutely miserably as, frankly, that is pretty much all tory MPs ever speak about.

ReputationRep:
    I feel that he's done well. Obsessing over immigration will only push voters over to UKIP, because the Tories cannot offer the same level of immigration limits as Farage.

In regards to the EU, I genuinely feel that anything more than a referendum is surplus to requirement. There's no point in constantly focusing on the EU when all the party can really offer is something that they're already offering.

The NHS is probably something that they should've focused on. At the minute, Labour seem to be basing their entire campaign on promises to keep the NHS alive and healthy. If the Tories had gotten rid of any notions that they would severely cut the NHS, they could take some votes from Labour quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasaron)
    I feel that he's done well. Obsessing over immigration will only push voters over to UKIP, because the Tories cannot offer the same level of immigration limits as Farage.

In regards to the EU, I genuinely feel that anything more than a referendum is surplus to requirement. There's no point in constantly focusing on the EU when all the party can really offer is something that they're already offering.

The NHS is probably something that they should've focused on. At the minute, Labour seem to be basing their entire campaign on promises to keep the NHS alive and healthy. If the Tories had gotten rid of any notions that they would severely cut the NHS, they could take some votes from Labour quite easily.
    Problem is that people don't believe him on the NHS so bringing it up just satiates Labour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Problem is that people don't believe him on the NHS so bringing it up just satiates Labour.
    It could be argued that silence does exactly the same thing. Looks like the NHS is something that'll lose the Tories some votes, regardless of what they do. It's no surprise, it could be predicted that the NHS was going to be an issue for the Tories coming into the election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmeckel)
    Cameron is a fool. Which is why I will be voting UKIP. Although I do like Cameron's emphasis of the deficit. Immigration and the EU are important concerns, but fixing them will do you as much good as wearing a fur coat on the beach if you're still in the red. Balancing the books is the first order of business for any company, and what is a government, if not a company writ large?

I am not, on the whole, entirely anti-EU as a theoretical proposition; but I do believe that the question of whether to stay in or out should be put to the electorate, and if such a referendum happened, I would vote 'out'. This would be because of practical problems with implementing the idea, and the vast amount of money going to Brussels, more than any sort of 'loss of British culture'.

NHS --- privatise it, 'nuff said. Such an important thing as health should not be left in the hands of government, which is infamous for buggering things up even when given something that is pristine and unbuggered, along with a gigantic sign that says 'Do Not Bugger This Up'.
    UKIP have one decent policy......the rest is just strange!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Labour will increase spending and unemployment will rise once again

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It could be argued that silence does exactly the same thing. Looks like the NHS is something that'll lose the Tories some votes, regardless of what they do. It's no surprise, it could be predicted that the NHS was going to be an issue for the Tories coming into the election.
    Well silence just reverts issue intention to default really. When nobody talks about immigration and the NHS the economy as the default number 1 issue returns to being the main issue on peoples minds so really the Tories have the advantage of an economic lead on the most popular issue at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mutleybm1996)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sadly doubt it, nothing that Labour has proposed to date will cause unemployment at this stage in the business cycle. They will maintain a deficit though and that's something i oppose.

ReputationRep:
    Well silence just reverts issue intention to default really. When nobody talks about immigration and the NHS the economy as the default number 1 issue returns to being the main issue on peoples minds so really the Tories have the advantage of an economic lead on the most popular issue at the moment.
    That's true, and I totally agree with you that the Tories have done well to focus attention back onto their economic policy. However, I do feel that anyone that's really and truly worried about their public healthcare (and will be voting for Labour as a result) would really see the PM's silence on the issue to mean the worst. I would imagine that Cameron will deny any rumours of him privatising the NHS at some point in the future, but he'll probably ignore them for the most part.

ReputationRep:
    That's true, and I totally agree with you that the Tories have done well to focus attention back onto their economic policy. However, I do feel that anyone that's really and truly worried about their public healthcare (and will be voting for Labour as a result) would really see the PM's silence on the issue to mean the worst. I would imagine that Cameron will deny any rumours of him privatising the NHS at some point in the future, but he'll probably ignore them for the most part.
    Aye. Given how toxic the Lansley reforms are, i expect the next Tory government would do as little as possible on healthcare. That's part of our issue though because actually doing something could be unpopular even if nessesary.

ReputationRep:
    Anti-Tory nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mutleybm1996)
    That's an odd comment, given under the Labour government from their election to just before the global economic crisis, debt as a proportion of GDP had been falling and was at a very healthy level. The Tories, by contrast, have seen debt massively increase since they came to power, and haven't really made much progress on the deficit

And on unemployment, the only party to preside over mass unemployment in the last decades was the Conservatives, who saw 3.5 million people out of work in the 1980s, the largest number since the great depression.

The two parties' records on debt and unemployment speak for themselves

ReputationRep:
    Aye. Given how toxic the Lansley reforms are, i expect the next Tory government would do as little as possible on healthcare. That's part of our issue though because actually doing something could be unpopular even if nessesary.
    It's more likely that the next Tory government (leaving aside how unlikely a proposition that is) would take re-election to mean that people agree with their radical free market agenda and, in a triumphalist mode, would implement sweeping privatisations and public sector layoffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_guns)
    It's more likely that the next Tory government (leaving aside how unlikely a proposition that is) would take re-election to mean that people agree with their radical free market agenda and, in a triumphalist mode, would implement sweeping privatisations and public sector layoffs
    They won't in healthcare.

Will elsewhere but I don't disagree with that.

ReputationRep:

I'm not that fussed about the nhs, I can't remember when I last used it. 2012 mebby...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.