I'm currently serving in the military and due to get out in the next year or so and I planned on purchasing a buy to let property in Portsmouth.
I know it's a good investment and I just remember all the stuff the landlords did wrong when I was there and always thought I could do better, so I suppose now is my chance.
I'm just looking for a bit of an insight in to how you guys pick properties so I had a few questions if you wouldn't mind helping...
1. I understand that Southsea and Fratton are the popular areas in Portsmouth, is this correct?
2. How highly do you rate living near a train station? If you had two houses and the first was two minutes away and the second was ten minutes away from the station would this really matter?
3. Do you care about having a garden?
4. What's the ideal number of rooms you'd want for a flat/house you were living in?
5. Generally, what are your top priorities in selecting a house?
6. What can/would you like your landlord to do for you?
7. How long are you normally locked in to a tenancy for? 11/12months?
Anything else you think is important in your decision to select a house to live in whilst you are at Uni would be greatly received. Hopefully you can help me with a successful investment and I can return the favour by putting a decent property out there for you... The more properties on the market the cheaper it gets!!
Thanks in advance for any help, I do really appreciate it...
...Should I go back to school?