The Student Room Group

Cambridge Re-applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rovensie
Some universities don't like gap year students because they feel that their skills could shrink during the year when they're out of school. However this mostly applies to sciences only and as you're applying for English, I think you will be able to keep your skills or even advance them through reading and analysing texts.

Original post by Rala
Thank you!

They are really only slightly concerned for Maths (and maybe Medicine). Other sciences are fine. And I know of Maths re-applicants getting in too.
Results day tomorrow. Time to say goodbye to Cambridge :wink: I'm so glad Edinburgh asks only for BBB now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just got my results and it kind of surprised me that my ums now is 92.6, and there's only 2 more units to go. And actually my ums is lowered by two units in which I got b only😂 feels like I'm not hopeless yet😋

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 183
Just got my results and it kind of surprised me that my ums now is 92.6, and there's only 2 more units to go. And actually my ums is lowered by two units in which I got b only😂 feels like I'm not hopeless yet😋

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done that's a very good score! I did worse and got in, so you absolutely have a good chance.
I really can't choose between reapplying to Cambridge and firming Edinburgh now. I've completed the most of my A Levels, and my grade would most likely be A*A*AA, with a ums just around auto pool line. This will definitely not prevent me from getting an offer, I know, but it's hard to say that it enhances my chance. For the last cycle it's most likely that I was rejected because of my interview, but I really doubt how much I can improve on my interview technique over the few months. I would be better prepared and know what to expect this time, but their expectation would also raise. I could certainly give a try, but I'm just as likely to be rejected as last cycle. It would certainly be nice if I get in this time, but if I don't, it can really affect my level of confidence.

If I choose Edinburgh now, I would feel a little regretful of not giving another try and think about all those 'what if', but it will definitely give me a more enjoyable year, as I can relax and read what I want and travel a bit, instead of revising for the retakes and endlessly thinking of the interview questions or how to write my personal statement.

I like the college system of Cambridge over the department system of Edinburgh, but I like both of the cities. Cambridge does appear to be more prestigious, but in terms of undergraduate teaching it would not differ too much. If I do get into Cambridge, I would have to work a lot harder and feel more pressure, but in Edinburgh, the network of people I know would not be as good.

I suddenly realised that after writing all these I already have an answer... But anyway I will leave it here in case anyone else have the same problem :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How does Cambridge assess gap year applicants? Are they invited to interview based on ums scores or will having for example A*A*A suffice in interview selection (all this assuming the admission test scores are decent)?
I really can't choose between reapplying to Cambridge and firming Edinburgh now. I've completed the most of my A Levels, and my grade would most likely be A*A*AA, with a ums just around auto pool line.

Original post by Hectors
How does Cambridge assess gap year applicants? Are they invited to interview based on ums scores or will having for example A*A*A suffice in interview selection (all this assuming the admission test scores are decent)?

Yes, I think the auto-pool criteria for post A-level applicants is A*A*A, rather than 93 UMS. It might be a good idea to confirm this directly with a college admissions tutor.

[Edit: correction A*A*A* is needed]

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Yes, I think the auto-pool criteria for post A-level applicants is A*A*A, rather than 93 UMS. It might be a good idea to confirm this directly with a college admissions tutor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Christ's admissions tutor told me last year that the auto pooling criteria for gap years was A*A*A*, though this may have just been for science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mini-Me
Christ's admissions tutor told me last year that the auto pooling criteria for gap years was A*A*A*, though this may have just been for science.

That sounds likely. It's a shame they have decided to "hide" the document that used to provide all the pooling criteria. :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was A*A*A* even for Arts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
It was A*A*A* even for Arts

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok. Thanks.

And I found the post by Christ's AT confirming A*A*A* qualifies for compulsory pooling (and therefore guarantees an interview).

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2801773&page=13&p=49606885#post49606885
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 191
Hello everyone,

I've stumbled across this thread and was wondering if someone could answer these questions:

1) If I firm Imperial now and get grades like A*A*A*A, will I absolutely have to go to Imperial or can I still ask Imperial to defer my offer and reapply to Cambridge (directly, not UCAS)?

2) If 1 is not possible, can I decline my offer in August to reapply or is that impossible, too?

*was rejected after pool from Churchill for Compsci
Original post by Lee66
Hello everyone,

I've stumbled across this thread and was wondering if someone could answer these questions:

1) If I firm Imperial now and get grades like A*A*A*A, will I absolutely have to go to Imperial or can I still ask Imperial to defer my offer and reapply to Cambridge (directly, not UCAS)?

2) If 1 is not possible, can I decline my offer in August to reapply or is that impossible, too?

*was rejected after pool from Churchill for Compsci

You can't reapply with a deferred offer, but you can if you decline. However I'd advise you to stick with Imperial, it's just as prestigious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Hi guys, I'm not reapplying but I did request feedback on my application abut 3 months ago and I haven't received a reply. I tried chasing the admissions team up about this but they haven't responded. Should I continue to wait?:confused:
Original post by sr-96
Hi guys, I'm not reapplying but I did request feedback on my application abut 3 months ago and I haven't received a reply. I tried chasing the admissions team up about this but they haven't responded. Should I continue to wait?:confused:

It could be an idea to call up the admissions team, as well as emailing them? Just have all your UCAS details (full name, UCAS number etc) to hand when you do so.
Reply 195
Original post by TurtleberrySoup
It could be an idea to call up the admissions team, as well as emailing them? Just have all your UCAS details (full name, UCAS number etc) to hand when you do so.

Okay I think I'll give them a ring today! Thanks :smile:
Hello

I have recently joined this discussion room. its really informative. i am an international student. i want to know when the application / admission for fall 2016 will start???
Original post by ali.fayyaz
Hello

I have recently joined this discussion room. its really informative. i am an international student. i want to know when the application / admission for fall 2016 will start???

Not until September. I suggest you look on the relevant university and UCAS websites.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks Colmans for your quick response. I actually forgot to mention the name of university and course. UCAS is for undergraduate courses. I want to apply for Phd (Management Sciences) from University of Cambridge. So I want to know when the admissions for Fall 2016 will start? And being an overseas student what procedure would be required to if I have funding / scholarship opportunity available?
Original post by ali.fayyaz
Thanks Colmans for your quick response. I actually forgot to mention the name of university and course. UCAS is for undergraduate courses. I want to apply for Phd (Management Sciences) from University of Cambridge. So I want to know when the admissions for Fall 2016 will start? And being an overseas student what procedure would be required to if I have funding / scholarship opportunity available?

Did you check the dept. web site?

https://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/programmes/research-programmes/applying-to-the-phd/

Although, according to this the course is closed:
http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/bmjbpdmst
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest