Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    Was that "Smile, and the world smiles with you"?
    The comic play might have ended with that (I am forgetful). What made you say that? Were you at HRSFC? I made friends with three people from there....

ReputationRep:
    yeah. the aristophanes play finished with that one, but the euripides did not...

and alexander is a very scary boy ;p

ReputationRep:
    i am going to be studying classical civilisation for gcse next year - what does the course entail.

ReputationRep:
    As a non-classics person, I have one question - did you guys understand the Oympic Opening Ceremony (apart from Bjork, which nobody understands)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairieboi)
    yeah. the aristophanes play finished with that one, but the euripides did not...

and alexander is a very scary boy ;p
    Alex rules! and he is not scary.... altho he is very tall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rathika)
    Alex rules! and he is not scary.... altho he is very tall.
    Thanks for sticking up for me Christina! And to think I made the effort of greeting this "fairieboi" with a cheery hello whenever I saw him...humph!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise One)
    As a non-classics person, I have one question - did you guys understand the Oympic Opening Ceremony (apart from Bjork, which nobody understands)?
    Are you talking about the hymn in Greek? I was disappointed to have missed that, though I read a transcript which was understandable (all the more so due the English translation next to it!).

ReputationRep:
    hey, i meant no offense with the 'very scary boy' comment. things can be good whilst still being scary and i appreciated your warm personality all the more for it, heh

yet i must still apologise profusely for what rose said that night, of course

ReputationRep:
    hey, i meant no offense with the 'very scary boy' comment. things can be good whilst still being scary and i appreciated your warm personality all the more for it, heh

yet i must still apologise profusely for what rose said that night, of course
    Don't worry, the only thing I currently find offensive about you is that you spelt offence the American way

lol about Rose, though why should you be apologetic? Did you tell her to say that?

ReputationRep:
    oops.

and no, i didn't, heh, but i feel kind of guilty through my association with her

ReputationRep:
    and no, i didn't, heh, but i feel kind of guilty through my association with her
    lol, so are you considering disowning her? Anyway I found her drunken vulgarity rather amusing.

ReputationRep:
    yes

and all the more so when we got to remind her about it in the morning

ReputationRep:
    Right, I have a question for everybody on this forum who is at cambridge studing classics (kinda figured it would get more replies here).
    Any hoo.... I got AABC in my AS results, (resitting the B and C in Jan), but my C was in German and i wanna apply for the 4yr classics course (they want a language at A level).
    Do you think its stil worth applyin cos i know the grades aren't fab n my college is really hesitent bout me applyin.

Any help on my dilemma would be great!!
    Thanks
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    What were your gcse grades?

How did everyone do in their exams? I somehow got 284 in my AS Latin, which is unbelievable considering how much I blagged it (could not have got more than half on the 63 translation) and how I came out feeling I could and should have done so much better. But UMS marks are funny things. Latin rocks, I'm so sad to be dropping it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    Latin rocks, I'm so sad to be dropping it.
    Don't then.

ReputationRep:
    i got 276 in latin, which to be frank i was kinda disappointed with, because i thought i'd done better than that... (i got only 113/120 in context questions which i thought was a bit low, but hey).
    in greek i got 286, and 118/120 in context questions (my favourite bit if you didn't guess), so that wasn't too bad..

ReputationRep:
    289 Greek; 286 Latin

Does any have any thoughts on the essay title:

***"Are Women in Classical Literature anything more than stereotypes?"***

[No Sam, this is not cheating; this is throwing ideas about]

ReputationRep:
    Well done to everyone for your results! I got an A in Classical Civilization (287) so I'm happy.

Glad you all had fun at Bryanston, I'd like to go next year, but as my school doesn't actually teach Greek I'd need to organise everything myself. Who do I need to contact to get an application form etc? Any help at all would be great!

As for whether or not women in Classical Literature are stereotypes, you'd have to define the stereotypes first I suppose. Personally I'd argue against it as there's such a variety of female characters, in The Iliad alone you've got Athene as a strong character who is feared by almost everyone (or does she not count as she's divine?), Helen who supposedly hates herself for leaving Sparta and goes from nagging Paris to meekly obeying Aphrodite, Aphrodite who seems a bit of a wimp and Andromache who could be seen as the ideal wife but also seems intelligent and able to think for herself.
    Just a few ideas, hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    You could examine the helper-maiden stereotype? It's an interesting one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zem)
    Well done to everyone for your results! I got an A in Classical Civilization (287) so I'm happy.

Glad you all had fun at Bryanston, I'd like to go next year, but as my school doesn't actually teach Greek I'd need to organise everything myself. Who do I need to contact to get an application form etc? Any help at all would be great!

As for whether or not women in Classical Literature are stereotypes, you'd have to define the stereotypes first I suppose. Personally I'd argue against it as there's such a variety of female characters, in The Iliad alone you've got Athene as a strong character who is feared by almost everyone (or does she not count as she's divine?), Helen who supposedly hates herself for leaving Sparta and goes from nagging Paris to meekly obeying Aphrodite, Aphrodite who seems a bit of a wimp and Andromache who could be seen as the ideal wife but also seems intelligent and able to think for herself.
    Just a few ideas, hope it helps.
    I imagine you'll need to contact JACT - just whack it into google and you'll probably find what you need.

As regards the women question, you've hit on my problem exactly. What constitutes a stereotype? I also agree with you that Homer has some of the best female characterisation.

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.