Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naelse)
    I didn't know about the sale!! grrrr. There was a second hand booksale in the faculty but it was rather small and pathetic. I ended up buying all my books for this term new for nearly £200. my bank account is feeling the pain.

Yeah I completely forgot about the manic laughter, but it was one of the only bits that made me wince. I didn't 'get' why the nurse wasn't dressed like the other women- she ended up looking quite tarty in that outfit as a result. And OOOOOOOH! the ickle babies were sooooooo cute! I was having to restrain myself from running up and snatching them when they came for thier final bow.
    £200!!??? owwwie! what sort of weird expensive stuff do they put on your reading list?!!??! I've probably spent that much on books as a cumulative total, but it feels so much better to buy one or two at a time than to have to spend that much at once!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grey faerie)
    £200!!??? owwwie! what sort of weird expensive stuff do they put on your reading list?!!??! I've probably spent that much on books as a cumulative total, but it feels so much better to buy one or two at a time than to have to spend that much at once!
    well the lexicons and grammars did rack up quite a bit, then two set texts in each language, then the translations for the set texts and vocabularies. and then i bought a hefty book on plato and socrates cos our philosophy lecturer is on paternity leave and our supervision on it is next week and all the copies of it have been taken out!

ReputationRep:
    If any of you are near Glasgow this Saturday and fancy wasting a perfectly good shopping day then come along to the Classical Association of Scotland meeting at the University. The morning session (by Dominic Berry of Leeds Uni) is on the Catalinarian Conspiracy. Details here

http://www.lib.gla.ac.uk/cas/events.html#oct2004

Students/school pupils are very welcome (and if seeing this bunch doesn't put you off classics for life then it can be an excellent way to meet lecturers from several unis) and the talks are aimed at the well-informed lay person rather than high level academic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DenverDiva)
    If any of you are near Glasgow this Saturday and fancy wasting a perfectly good shopping day then come along to the Classical Association of Scotland meeting at the University. The morning session (by Dominic Berry of Leeds Uni) is on the Catalinarian Conspiracy. Details here

http://www.lib.gla.ac.uk/cas/events.html#oct2004

Students/school pupils are very welcome (and if seeing this bunch doesn't put you off classics for life then it can be an excellent way to meet lecturers from several unis) and the talks are aimed at the well-informed lay person rather than high level academic.
    That's annoying. We're doing In Cat. 1+2 this term so the talk on the catalinarian conspiracy may help. But my money is drying out far too rapidly to risk spending any on travel.

ReputationRep:
    New Offical Members List!

Naelse (Bryanston 2004, Cambridge, Newnham)
    Alexander (post A2, Bryanston 2004)
    Hypnos (A2, Bryanston 2004; offer from Christ Church Oxford for 2005)
    Zem
    Grey Faerie (Oxford University)
    Bubblymintyaero (Oxford University, Exeter)
    Lucerna, mjf?
    d750
    Che
    Joey_Johns
    Flompy
    MrKeen
    Scottus_Mus
    Rathika (Bryanston 2004, Kings' College Cambridge)
    Fairie_boi (A2, Bryanston 2004; applying New College Oxford for 2005)
    sophieliz
    franks
    brokenurservant
    denverdiva
    Leopard
    Antz87
    Scout (Classical Civilisation AS)
    Amrad
    Amrou (Classical Civilisation GCSE)
    DenverDiva

ReputationRep:
    Ive got to answer this question set by a cynical teacher, its about a paragraph of Xenophon Hellenica. The question is, 'do this lines have any literary merit'. I dont know what I'm meant to say - do you reckon its asking about any literary techniques used, or its relevance as a piece of history?? Sorry its not a very precise question, any ideas are v v welcome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franks)
    Ive got to answer this question set by a cynical teacher, its about a paragraph of Xenophon Hellenica. The question is, 'do this lines have any literary merit'. I dont know what I'm meant to say - do you reckon its asking about any literary techniques used, or its relevance as a piece of history?? Sorry its not a very precise question, any ideas are v v welcome!
    That sounds like a question directed at literary techniques rather than relevance as history - you could pick out the key historical ideas and analys the literary technique used to present them; that should cover you either way!

ReputationRep:
    Yes - literary technique is often opposed to historical accuracy. By literary technique we usually mean does it present what in says in an interesting way? Does it use notable/descriptive/emotive/powerful/evocative vocabulary, details, ideas? Does it use any literary flourishes such as chiasmus, alliteration etc.? The question sounds to me like it's inviting you to refute the knee-jerk "no, no literary merit" answer.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone wants to send me any details about where they are or what they're studying at the moment I'll add them to the member list.

ReputationRep:
    hehe... you should see the passage, it is one of the most bland 10 lines i have ever seen, with NO litereary techniques used at all... well i've had a go - ive tried to squeeze out some half decent points, but i could resist a paragraph at the end saying that i understand why some people think Xenophon is extremely simplistic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypnos)
    If anyone wants to send me any details about where they are
    hah. made me laugh. not quite sure why, though. I suppose i can just imagine william sitting in his room making a chart of everyone on this thread and 'where they are', heh..

Oxford interviews in just over two weeks! Eep!

ReputationRep:
    hey, does anyone know whcih verb 'idoien' comes from (thats iota, delta, omicron, iota, epsilon, nu ) ???

ReputationRep:
    i was thinking maybe oida or oraw , but i cant find the actual word in any principal parts section of my dictionary or grammar book

ReputationRep:
    what do you need it for?

ReputationRep:
    Its a poetic form of eidon, to see. Its the aorist optative active, 3rd person plural. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Its a poetic form of eidon, to see. Its the aorist optative active, 3rd person plural. Hope that helps.
    I agree. But I'm not sure what you mean by 'poetic'.

And I'm shocked at Fairie_boi's incompotence on this one ;p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypnos)
    I agree. But I'm not sure what you mean by 'poetic'.

And I'm shocked at Fairie_boi's incompotence on this one ;p
    Just that this particular form is only found in verse.

ReputationRep:
    lol, not exactly out of verse, out of an ancient thucydides comprehension question,
    i decided that it was 3rd person pl optative of oraw in the end , the work had to be in today and i hadnt read these posts so i didnt manage to put in the active bit - dont suppose it matters TOO much - and yes it was one of those nasty grammer questions
    thanks for all your help

ReputationRep:
    hey, its me again!
    ok, where do you reckon I can get some info on Xenephon Hellenica. The scenario is: I have a rubbish teacher and an exam in the summer, I want do pass the exam so I figure I need to do some work for myself, like MAJOR work first I want to find an overview of the story (the bit im actually doing is I 6.29 to 7.35 ) and some information about the characters in the section, and maybe a bit about Xenophon. Also are there any synopses and like an explanation of the text or something.
    The real question is - where do I find this ??!!
    Thanks for any help, pointers etc you can give me

ReputationRep:
    Can I join too? only just found this, I think I have been missing out. How do I join? :hmmmm:

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.