Watch
This discussion is closed.
Kalypso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by naelse)
I didn't know about the sale!! grrrr. There was a second hand booksale in the faculty but it was rather small and pathetic. I ended up buying all my books for this term new for nearly £200. my bank account is feeling the pain.

Yeah I completely forgot about the manic laughter, but it was one of the only bits that made me wince. I didn't 'get' why the nurse wasn't dressed like the other women- she ended up looking quite tarty in that outfit as a result. And OOOOOOOH! the ickle babies were sooooooo cute! I was having to restrain myself from running up and snatching them when they came for thier final bow.
£200!!??? owwwie! what sort of weird expensive stuff do they put on your reading list?!!??! I've probably spent that much on books as a cumulative total, but it feels so much better to buy one or two at a time than to have to spend that much at once!
naelse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by grey faerie)
£200!!??? owwwie! what sort of weird expensive stuff do they put on your reading list?!!??! I've probably spent that much on books as a cumulative total, but it feels so much better to buy one or two at a time than to have to spend that much at once!
well the lexicons and grammars did rack up quite a bit, then two set texts in each language, then the translations for the set texts and vocabularies. and then i bought a hefty book on plato and socrates cos our philosophy lecturer is on paternity leave and our supervision on it is next week and all the copies of it have been taken out!
DenverDiva
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If any of you are near Glasgow this Saturday and fancy wasting a perfectly good shopping day then come along to the Classical Association of Scotland meeting at the University. The morning session (by Dominic Berry of Leeds Uni) is on the Catalinarian Conspiracy. Details here

http://www.lib.gla.ac.uk/cas/events.html#oct2004

Students/school pupils are very welcome (and if seeing this bunch doesn't put you off classics for life then it can be an excellent way to meet lecturers from several unis) and the talks are aimed at the well-informed lay person rather than high level academic.
naelse
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by DenverDiva)
If any of you are near Glasgow this Saturday and fancy wasting a perfectly good shopping day then come along to the Classical Association of Scotland meeting at the University. The morning session (by Dominic Berry of Leeds Uni) is on the Catalinarian Conspiracy. Details here

http://www.lib.gla.ac.uk/cas/events.html#oct2004

Students/school pupils are very welcome (and if seeing this bunch doesn't put you off classics for life then it can be an excellent way to meet lecturers from several unis) and the talks are aimed at the well-informed lay person rather than high level academic.
That's annoying. We're doing In Cat. 1+2 this term so the talk on the catalinarian conspiracy may help. But my money is drying out far too rapidly to risk spending any on travel.
hypnos
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
New Offical Members List!

Naelse (Bryanston 2004, Cambridge, Newnham)
Alexander (post A2, Bryanston 2004)
Hypnos (A2, Bryanston 2004; offer from Christ Church Oxford for 2005)
Zem
Grey Faerie (Oxford University)
Bubblymintyaero (Oxford University, Exeter)
Lucerna, mjf?
d750
Che
Joey_Johns
Flompy
MrKeen
Scottus_Mus
Rathika (Bryanston 2004, Kings' College Cambridge)
Fairie_boi (A2, Bryanston 2004; applying New College Oxford for 2005)
sophieliz
franks
brokenurservant
denverdiva
Leopard
Antz87
Scout (Classical Civilisation AS)
Amrad
Amrou (Classical Civilisation GCSE)
DenverDiva
Twiglet
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ive got to answer this question set by a cynical teacher, its about a paragraph of Xenophon Hellenica. The question is, 'do this lines have any literary merit'. I dont know what I'm meant to say - do you reckon its asking about any literary techniques used, or its relevance as a piece of history?? Sorry its not a very precise question, any ideas are v v welcome!
Kalypso
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by franks)
Ive got to answer this question set by a cynical teacher, its about a paragraph of Xenophon Hellenica. The question is, 'do this lines have any literary merit'. I dont know what I'm meant to say - do you reckon its asking about any literary techniques used, or its relevance as a piece of history?? Sorry its not a very precise question, any ideas are v v welcome!
That sounds like a question directed at literary techniques rather than relevance as history - you could pick out the key historical ideas and analys the literary technique used to present them; that should cover you either way!
hypnos
Rep:
?
Yes - literary technique is often opposed to historical accuracy. By literary technique we usually mean does it present what in says in an interesting way? Does it use notable/descriptive/emotive/powerful/evocative vocabulary, details, ideas? Does it use any literary flourishes such as chiasmus, alliteration etc.? The question sounds to me like it's inviting you to refute the knee-jerk "no, no literary merit" answer.
hypnos
Rep:
?
If anyone wants to send me any details about where they are or what they're studying at the moment I'll add them to the member list.
Twiglet
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hehe... you should see the passage, it is one of the most bland 10 lines i have ever seen, with NO litereary techniques used at all... well i've had a go - ive tried to squeeze out some half decent points, but i could resist a paragraph at the end saying that i understand why some people think Xenophon is extremely simplistic!
fairieboi
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hypnos)
If anyone wants to send me any details about where they are
hah. made me laugh. not quite sure why, though. I suppose i can just imagine william sitting in his room making a chart of everyone on this thread and 'where they are', heh..

Oxford interviews in just over two weeks! Eep!
Twiglet
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hey, does anyone know whcih verb 'idoien' comes from (thats iota, delta, omicron, iota, epsilon, nu ) ???
Twiglet
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i was thinking maybe oida or oraw , but i cant find the actual word in any principal parts section of my dictionary or grammar book
fairieboi
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what do you need it for?
d750
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Its a poetic form of eidon, to see. Its the aorist optative active, 3rd person plural. Hope that helps.
hypnos
Rep:
?
(Original post by d750)
Its a poetic form of eidon, to see. Its the aorist optative active, 3rd person plural. Hope that helps.
I agree. But I'm not sure what you mean by 'poetic'.

And I'm shocked at Fairie_boi's incompotence on this one ;p
d750
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hypnos)
I agree. But I'm not sure what you mean by 'poetic'.

And I'm shocked at Fairie_boi's incompotence on this one ;p
Just that this particular form is only found in verse.
Twiglet
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
lol, not exactly out of verse, out of an ancient thucydides comprehension question,
i decided that it was 3rd person pl optative of oraw in the end , the work had to be in today and i hadnt read these posts so i didnt manage to put in the active bit - dont suppose it matters TOO much - and yes it was one of those nasty grammer questions
thanks for all your help
Twiglet
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hey, its me again!
ok, where do you reckon I can get some info on Xenephon Hellenica. The scenario is: I have a rubbish teacher and an exam in the summer, I want do pass the exam so I figure I need to do some work for myself, like MAJOR work first I want to find an overview of the story (the bit im actually doing is I 6.29 to 7.35 ) and some information about the characters in the section, and maybe a bit about Xenophon. Also are there any synopses and like an explanation of the text or something.
The real question is - where do I find this ??!!
Thanks for any help, pointers etc you can give me
Feefifofum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Can I join too? only just found this, I think I have been missing out. How do I join? :hmmmm:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (72)
47.37%
Take exams next summer (28)
18.42%
Change uni choice through clearing (34)
22.37%
Apply to uni next year instead (14)
9.21%
I'm not applying to university (4)
2.63%

Watched Threads