Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you could only recruit 1 candidate to a job Watch

• View Poll Results: Which candidate would you choose?
    Candidate A
    21.43%
    Candidate B
    78.57%

ReputationRep:
    Imagine you're a job recruiter and you only have 1 vacancy left to fill. You've interviewed 2 candidates each with a similar level of work experience and skill set, however candidate A is an extroverted and arrogant smugger whilst candidate B is an introverted and quiet humbler.

Which candidate would you choose to offer the job to and why?

It can be any type of job.

ReputationRep:
    B, because first the worst (A is first) and second the best (B is second).
    This is easy.

ReputationRep:
    What job industry is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    What job industry is it?
    It's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what type of job it is really. Some jobs prefer that audacious, outspoken type and others you can do really well if you're introverted and more quiet.

ReputationRep:
    Probably candidate B: It's easier to train someone to become more confident than it is to make someone appear less arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    Really depends on the industry I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the job.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on industry. Sometimes it's worth being an ambivert for this reason as they're adaptable to most situations.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I was recently asking my boss at work the process he goes through when hiring people, for instance for my job there were 150 applicants!!

after initial cutting down of the lazy people who couldn't be bothered to fill out the application, and the people he knew would not be suitable for the job, he invited us all to a group interview.

He specifically stated that anyone who came across as arrogant or over confident was a definite no, hence anyone with that kind of attitude never made it to the final interview and work trial stage.

He said this is because arrogant people come across that way with customers, are harder to train as they often think they know it all, are less likely to follow the rules and dont get on as well with other staff members, and thus are a waste of time and money effectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    ****ly depends on the industry I'm afraid.
    I already said that it can any job.

Maybe you could give an answer based on your chosen field?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalalalalamember)
    It's up to you.
    it depends entirely on the industry. For instance if i was looking for a car salesman i would go with person A. Sales people are by and large extroverted with more than a little smug arrogance to them.

If however it was say to be a carer as long as the introvert is being communicative and assertive I would hire them as a gentler tone and approach is needed. Different people suit different roles.

If however Person B was one of those introverts who dont make eye contact, mumble and dont offer anything I wouldnt hire them for any job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    If however Person B was one of those introverts who dont make eye contact, mumble and dont offer anything I wouldnt hire them for any job.
    Road sweeper?

Many areas of research research.

Building trade.

Factory work.

Computer programmer (hey, guess what sector I'm in).

All manner of crafts.

There are many jobs where there is not much need for much social interaction, provided they can do the job.

Part of the task of the recruitment process design is to work out how to overcome the communication problems of the bull****ters and the shy.

ReputationRep:
    Mostly like B, they can get better over time!

ReputationRep:
    I would choose candidate B.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.