Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have heard back from all the Universities I've applied to now (Oxford- rejection, Warwick, Birmingham, Exeter and Southampton- offers to study English) and I feel a bit stuck. I know we still have a while to decide but I wanted to write this now to stop it from playing on my mind. Basically I made the mistake of only going on the course and not the location when I sent off my UCAS, and am now wishing I'd applied to KCL, Bristol and Cardiff instead of Warwick, Exeter and Southampton as they are better locations and KCL particularly is closer to home (I live in Sussex).

I have an unconditional offer from Birmingham if I put them as my firm choice. I really like the course and the Uni, will have to see the city and get more of a feel, but I am thinking that if I get A*AA (what I'm predicted) in my A2 I might drop that offer and, if there's no places in clearing or adjustment or whatever (I don't think Bristol or King's will have) then I will have to take a gap year. That'll be OK although I'd have no idea what I'd do. I think if I took a gap year I would apply to Cambridge (may as well give Oxbridge another shot) for English, Bristol and King's for Liberal Arts (I really like the look of the Liberal Arts course), Cardiff and either Birmingham or QMUL for English or English and History.

I just wondered if there were any other suggestions as to what I should do. I know it's really good to have offers from Warwick and Exeter and they are amazing Universities but I would rather be in a big city that is closer to home. I really liked Birmingham but the fact that they give out lots of unconditional offers makes me think they're super commercial and kind of puts me off.

I don't know what to do ahaha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frizzydinks)
    I have heard back from all the Universities I've applied to now (Oxford- rejection, Warwick, Birmingham, Exeter and Southampton- offers to study English) and I feel a bit stuck. I know we still have a while to decide but I wanted to write this now to stop it from playing on my mind. Basically I made the mistake of only going on the course and not the location when I sent off my UCAS, and am now wishing I'd applied to KCL, Bristol and Cardiff instead of Warwick, Exeter and Southampton as they are better locations and KCL particularly is closer to home (I live in Sussex).

I have an unconditional offer from Birmingham if I put them as my firm choice. I really like the course and the Uni, will have to see the city and get more of a feel, but I am thinking that if I get A*AA (what I'm predicted) in my A2 I might drop that offer and, if there's no places in clearing or adjustment or whatever (I don't think Bristol or King's will have) then I will have to take a gap year. That'll be OK although I'd have no idea what I'd do. I think if I took a gap year I would apply to Cambridge (may as well give Oxbridge another shot) for English, Bristol and King's for Liberal Arts (I really like the look of the Liberal Arts course), Cardiff and either Birmingham or QMUL for English or English and History.

I just wondered if there were any other suggestions as to what I should do. I know it's really good to have offers from Warwick and Exeter and they are amazing Universities but I would rather be in a big city that is closer to home. I really liked Birmingham but the fact that they give out lots of unconditional offers makes me think they're super commercial and kind of puts me off.

I don't know what to do ahaha!
    Hey, just wondering what you chose? I was until now in almost exactly the same situation as you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.