Editing is plagiarism?

Watch
scottybr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am international student studying my first year in UK. A friend of mine is native speaker and he did a quality re-write of my paper with editing a big part of my essay. Is it plagiarism or cheating? Can I submit my paper?

yamdude
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
scottybr, yes it is cheating. It is like putting your name on another person's project even if your friend edited only the part of the paper. Slight proofreading and correcting grammar mistakes is ok, however re-writing is considering to be a plagiarism.
prettygirllaura
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Plagiarism thread on englishclub identifies actions like "having a teacher, native speaker, or higher level student edit your paper to perfection" as a plagiarism example and cheating. Though each school or university has its own rules and standards, doing the work for another is not looked upon favorably. I would suggest you to check out the plagiarism policies of your institution.
mcarter
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
scottybr, doing someone else's work even for money is not legal. If your need help, perhaps you can ask ur friend for a tutor help and even pay him for the tutoring. That action is typically not a problem. Do not forget to check ur paper for plagiarism before submitting anyway.
hilllisa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by scottybr)
I am international student studying my first year in UK. A friend of mine is native speaker and he did a quality re-write of my paper with editing a big part of my essay. Is it plagiarism or cheating? Can I submit my paper?
scottybr, presenting someone else’s ideas or work as your own, without or even with their consent is plagiarism. You must clearly understand and accept all assistance which has contributed to the production of your work, such as advice from friends, students and tutors.
monro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hilllisa)
scottybr, presenting someone else’s ideas or work as your own, without or even with their consent is plagiarism. You have acknowledge all assistance which has contributed to the production of your work, such as advice from fellow students, friends and tutors.
hilllisa, in my uni this rules don't apply to the assistance provided by your tutor or supervisor. Simple proofreading is also allowed, but you are right about necessity to acknowledge the assistance anyway.
A5ko
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If no one notices, it's not plagiarism.
tonema90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It sure is a question of definition. The more you edit the less plagiarism it will be, lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (639)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.22%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.8%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads