Turn on thread page Beta

RAF Selection test- Supply watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. Next Monday I've got my selection test for the RAF. I'm planning to go in as supply. I'm wondering if any of you out there are in the trade and can tell me what it's like? Pros and cons?

Also, What should I wear? I've had a lot of people tell me interview clothes but then a lot of people tell me otherwise.

lastly, I know there are many discussions on this, but realistically my maths isn't the best and my memory isn't either. I'm doing all I can to brush up beforehand but is this likely to make it hard for me to pass? I want the best score possible of course, but I don't want to fail.

oh, and one more thing. When (IF) I pass the selection test, how long will it be realistically before I get my health assessment and fitness test and thereafter the PRTC and finally, training?

Thanks, guys. Any information anyone can give me will be handy. I'm very excited but so nervous!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Logistics Supply is a broad and varied Trade. Lots of specializations and lots of chances to do different roles within the broad remit of Supply. There is the tactical end and the main base end, so there is something for everyone. Pros and cons are what you make them. There will be detachments and deployments and you learn a lot of skills that are useful if you don't decide to make a career out of it.

Dress smart. Impressions count.

You just give it your best shot. Worrying about stuff won't make it easier!

Timescale can take anything from weeks to months. Just accept that and give every part of it your best shot.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to go in as personal support, for the interview dress smart appearances & first impressions count. When I revised I used the practice questions & the bbc GCSEs bite size website. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not Hijacking the thread but I have my selection test next Tuesday is this the Aptitude Test or Interview or Both help very much appreciated.
    Only asking as email only says selection test.

Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I passed my aptitude for supply in July after failing it the first time. The main difference was that I was more relaxed the second time. That's the best tip I can give, the time limits are quite tight but just keep calm and a clear head.

Was a month after the aptitude for my interview and a month after that for my medical which I have to retake next Monday.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. I always thought I was the sort of person well prepared for things, But I really don't feel like I'm going to be prepared enough!! I suppose it's because I want to do my best & give myself the best chances.

the fitness test will be the easy bit, my run time coming in at under 10 mins 42 seconds (I'm female) I can do 16 press ups and 38 sit ups in a minute. medical shouldn't be an issue either. but the whole aptitude test has me nervous!!! But I can only do my best and the more I prepare the better I'll be.

Another question I've just thought of, I know I can't have my puppy for basic or trade training, and I'm not stupid enough to argue that. My boyfriend has 3 dogs and is prepared to look after mine for as long as I'm training. My question being, I think I read somewhere that if you choose to live off base you'll pay less rent than the going market rate, but I can't find where I read it? Do you guys know anything about that? Thanks, I'll be appreciative of any advice. If all doesn't go to plan my boyfriend will take my puppy, she'll be happy there, but I'd be happier if she was with me and if that means living off base then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    P.S. sorry for the slow reply, due to the beautiful weather we seem to be experiencing here in the Highlands of Scotland I've struggled to get broadband. Hopefully all fixed now. I've resorted to buying newspapers to keep myself up to date with news and current affairs!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You don't get reduced rent for living off base. You would be in the same boat as anyone else in the area and paying local market rates.
    Having a pet like a dog is not really compatible with service life as a single person, especially as someone new to the military. Even if you could afford to live off base (which you probably couldn't at first), you would find it very difficult and it would cost more again to pay for dog sitters etc. Then you get something like a 4 month detachment to the Falkland Islands etc. What happens then?

ReputationRep:
    Okay. I wasn't sure if I had read from a reliable source or not. I manage to live currently off £800 a month on my own whilst paying rent, so I can cope with living on military wage off base, however I think I would prefer to be on base. The dog will be no issue as she'll be fine at the boyfriends and as I say she'll be happy there. I was just making sure I've done my homework and know exactly what I'm doing etc. Being prepared

or I'll chuck her in with all the police dogs and see if they'll take her Just kidding.

My aptitude test is now only 4 days away...nervous! and I'm racing a 24 hour endurance mountain bike race this weekend, so that's two days revision lost...leaving just today & monday :O

ReputationRep:
    So it's the day before Selection test.

I'm very very nervous and getting all my stuff together. Lesson in life, to all those who are preparing for selection tests too, DON'T LEAVE IT TILL THE DAY BEFORE TO REALISE YOU'VE FORGOTTEN TO CHANGE YOUR ADDRESS TO YOUR NEW ONE ON YOUR DRIVING LICENCE! And deffo don't chuck away all doctors letters, you need them for your NHS number. Luckily I've called the AFCO and they said that it's not an issue for tomorrow but I will need to get a letter and change my address etc.

FEW!!!!!

any last minute tips? I live 15 miles from the AFCO and do not drive. so I'll be cycling 5km to my train station and then getting the train into town. This is where it gets interesting. It's muddy and Icy so I'll need to wear cycle clothes and get changed in town. HOW ON EARTH do I place my trousers in a rucksack without them getting creased?! We have irons at work which helps me....but I don't think I can waltz into the AFCO and request an iron :O

ReputationRep:
    Hey good luck for tomorrow, I have found if you roll them. You should be goodx

ReputationRep:
    For those who are interested!!!

Well, after no sleep and a far from average commute in, I arrived cold and wet and tired. I got changed and there we go! Ready...

long story short I actually could have sworn I failed, but delighted to be told I passed :-)

score:

a) 74 b) 69 c) 73 d)78

VR 8
    NR 8
    WR 5 (about 10 of the questions where guessed seeing as I had about 20 seconds left so just crossed and hoped for the best :-D)
    EC 8 (what?! How?! )
    MC 5
    SR 4 (expected that one)

im not sure how the scoring system works. But I'm actually happy with this. :-)

ReputationRep:
    Well done good to hear! I passed mine for supply back in June and know how much of a relief and great feeling it is

ReputationRep:
    Well done. So happy for you. I thought I failed but passed, what trade are you going for x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshhh20)
    Not Hijacking the thread but I have my selection test next Tuesday is this the Aptitude Test or Interview or Both help very much appreciated.
    Only asking as email only says selection test.

Many Thanks
    Sorry; I didn't see this post till now!!!! Yes it was just the selection test! Hope you did well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni-Chick)
    For those who are interested!!!

Well, after no sleep and a far from average commute in, I arrived cold and wet and tired. I got changed and there we go! Ready...

long story short I actually could have sworn I failed, but delighted to be told I passed :-)

score:

a) 74 b) 69 c) 73 d)78

VR 8
    NR 8
    WR 5 (about 10 of the questions where guessed seeing as I had about 20 seconds left so just crossed and hoped for the best :-D)
    EC 8 (what?! How?! )
    MC 5
    SR 4 (expected that one)

im not sure how the scoring system works. But I'm actually happy with this. :-)
    How was your NR going in, as mine isnt great and im going in as a vehicle and equipment technician and im really worried about it :/

ReputationRep:
    I spent a lot of time worrying about scores ETC but TBH you don't need to know scores, and that's why they don't give them out until afterwards. Just practice, try your BEST and know that you've done the best score YOU can do. That way they'll match you to the job that YOU are suitable too. You'll be fine, just relax and know that you've done the homework. Numerical was easy, I'd say practice GSCE pages etc expecially graphs and fractions. However, it's the time frame that got me. So practice working things out VERY QUICKLY! Hope you all ace it

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.