Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am having problems doing problems when I am given a u as in a form u^2 = this and that.

If I were to pick my own value, I'd usually just pick "u", even if it's rooted. But whenever I have to take it squared, or u rooted, I encounter problems.

Usually I just integrate, and then substitute for dx.

With u^2's I get really confused.

For example, in c4, exercise 6H number 4.

I am given x√(2-x) dx

There needs to be an EXACT value to be found, and all that has to be integrated with limits from 2 to 0.

While I did took u as a 2-x, I could only find the approximate value, while when looking at the worked answer, it was suggested I take u^2. I would have never though of that.. and I am struggling in knowing when to take u^2 or rooted u or normal u.

Because by taking u^2, you'd end up with a surd fraction, and it will also make you change limits with one of them being root 2.

So yeah.. I am really having troubles with these... any advice from someone who is good or has experienced the same thing?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by studentFlipper)
    I am having problems doing problems when I am given a u as in a form u^2 = this and that.

If I were to pick my own value, I'd usually just pick "u", even if it's rooted. But whenever I have to take it squared, or u rooted, I encounter problems.

I am given x√(2-x) dx

There needs to be an EXACT value to be found, and all that has to be integrated with limits from 2 to 0.

While I did took u as a 2-x, I could only find the approximate value, while when looking at the worked answer, it was suggested I take u^2. I would have never though of that.. and I am struggling in knowing when to take u^2 or rooted u or normal u.

Because by taking u^2, you'd end up with a surd fraction, and it will also make you change limits with one of them being root 2.

So yeah.. I am really having troubles with these... any advice from someone who is good or has experienced the same thing?
    What was wrong with u = \sqrt{2-x}? It's the same substitution as u^2 = 2-x, and you'll go through the same motions to evaluate the integral. Would you mind posting your working where you try using the u rather than u^2 substitution?

ReputationRep:

I am given x√(2-x) dx

I just did this with u=2-x
    Why would you get an approximate answer?

The limits change from 0,2 to 2,0 and you have some square roots of u
    So the answer is a multiple of root2
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    <snip>
    (To link between my answer and TenOfThem's, usually more than one substitution will work.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    What was wrong with u = \sqrt{2-x}? It's the same substitution as u^2 = 2-x, and you'll go through the same motions to evaluate the integral. Would you mind posting your working where you try using the u rather than u^2 substitution?
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    I just did this with u=2-x
    Why would you get an approximate answer?

The limits change from 0,2 to 2,0 and you have some square roots of u
    So the answer is a multiple of root2

Well for me it's not that easy taking u^2, it does confuse me. I am really struggling with math, and sometimes I spent hours staring at a problem or even at a worked out example without really understanding.

Anyway, I drew the worked example of taking 2-x as a u, but I probably messed up with signs on the way or broke some rules.
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Well for me it's not that easy taking u^2, it does confuse me. I am really struggling with math, and sometimes I spent hours staring at a problem or even at a worked out example without really understanding.

Anyway, I drew the worked example of taking 2-x as a u, but I probably messed up with signs on the way or broke some rules.
    I haven't checked your working, but why have you converted everything to decimals?

You should know that

2^{3/2} = 2 \times 2^{1/2} = 2\sqrt{2}

and similarly

2^{5/2} = 2^2 \times 2^{1/2} = 4\sqrt{2}

so you can write everything as a multiple of \sqrt{2}

(also your notation is slightly wrong - you should have written dx = -du not dx = -1 so that your 'u integral' ends with -du instead of -1. Always make it clear what you're integrating with respect to)

ReputationRep:

As I said you have everything in root2s

Do not change to decimal
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper

So the u^2 = 2-x substitution is essentially identical:
    differentiating both sides of that expression by the chain rule, \dfrac{du}{dx} \times 2u = -1, so -\text{d}x = 2u \text{d}u and the integral becomes \displaystyle \int_{\sqrt{2}}^0 (2-u^2)u \times -2u \ \text{d}u.

This is a polynomial expression of u so it's easy to evaluate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    So the u^2 = 2-x substitution is essentially identical:
    differentiating both sides of that expression by the chain rule, \dfrac{du}{dx} \times 2u = -1, so -\text{d}x = 2u \text{d}u and the integral becomes \displaystyle \int_{\sqrt{2}}^0 (2-u^2)u \times -2u \ \text{d}u.

This is a polynomial expression of u so it's easy to evaluate.

Aagghhh it's too complicated for me, I don't understand it. I know the essence of the chain rule,. I just don't see how it is applicable here, I can't get my head around it. I see that you differentiated both sides u^2 >> 2u and 2 - x >>> -1 but why you would multiply 2u by 2u/dx or why do we need a negative dx is what I don't get either. Usually when I am doing integrals like these, I am solving for dx or dt, and then plugging it into the integral. Even considering I do all that, I am still somewhat confused with how we got root 2 in there, this is all so complicated for me when it should be easy.
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    As I said you have everything in root2s

Trying to grasp my head around it, too problematic to understand. I have everything in root of 2 as in my u's because they are rooted? You mean like turn 2u^3/2 into something like 2u times *root* u?

Do not change to decimal
    (Original post by davros)
    I haven't checked your working, but why have you converted everything to decimals?

You should know that

2^{3/2} = 2 \times 2^{1/2} = 2\sqrt{2}

and similarly

2^{5/2} = 2^2 \times 2^{1/2} = 4\sqrt{2}

so you can write everything as a multiple of \sqrt{2}

(also your notation is slightly wrong - you should have written dx = -du not dx = -1 so that your 'u integral' ends with -du instead of -1. Always make it clear what you're integrating with respect to)

Yes you are right! I should have used 1*(-du) instead. I'll try to remember that, I also know the powers multiplication conversion. The problem for is, that I think I wouldn't have thought of changing them to the roots in the first place, even when asked to give an exact value. I just wouldn't have thought of it. I don't know what I need, maybe mass practice... but as soon as I get to review exercises I forget half the stuff I tried to learn haha
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Aagghhh it's too complicated for me, I don't understand it. I know the essence of the chain rule,. I just don't see how it is applicable here, I can't get my head around it. I see that you differentiated both sides u^2 >> 2u and 2 - x >>> -1 but why you would multiply 2u by 2u/dx or why do we need a negative dx is what I don't get either. Usually when I am doing integrals like these, I am solving for dx or dt, and then plugging it into the integral. Even considering I do all that, I am still somewhat confused with how we got root 2 in there, this is all so complicated for me when it should be easy.
    \dfrac{d}{dx} u^2 = 2 u \dfrac{du}{dx}. That's the chain rule. The negative dx doesn't mean anything - I just lazily didn't multiply through by -1 to give us a \text{d}x = expression.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 13, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.