Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I started Children's Nursing at uni in September. I have had a few hiccups with feeling a bit like perhaps I didn't want to do the course, feeling homesick etc, but I dealt with it mostly ok.

After coming back after Christmas, I had my first placement to start. I had a bad day at placement but still it could have been worse. I just had a complete breakdown and thought I cannot do this. I have had anxiety in the past and it has just flared up so, so badly. I drove home last Thursday to my boyfriend and felt so much better when I was home with him and my family.

I felt positive over the weekend and ready to try so hard to stay, but it comes to the night before placement and every time I just breakdown again (even though it's not that bad!) I don't know why I do it. I feel like for my health maybe an option is to leave and return next year or the year after..

I've had some of the best times of my life here at uni, but I know that's mostly to do with the friends I've made, clubs I've joined etc. I feel like I can't cope anymore, but at the same time feel like I will be gutted if I leave.

How do I know what the right decision is? Any advice greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hey I started children's nursing at uni in September too and have had similar hiccups too. I definitely think that because you've got this far you should try and stick out the first year and then go by results from exams. assignments and placement along with thinking about whether you're enjoying it, however you can't be forced into staying on a course like nursing if you're really not enjoying it simply due to the nature of the course. Hope you're okay!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.