Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After going through clearing to get a place at Leeds I was offered Ellerslie Global Hall. The hall itself is lovely and has a great atmosphere, however Im given £64 a week for food. Which sounds like more than enough! But after one trip to any of the places on campus that accept refresh cards and you'll ****ise how wrong that assumption is! It'll buy you 2 meals at a push. And you cant even chose which meals because they aren't accepted from 11am-2pm. The money not spent isnt saved. The refresh card is not a "handy way to budget" but a way for the uni to make more money. That £10.30 a day is taken from you regardless of whether it's term time or not :mad::mad: the food is occasionally quite good and there is always a lot of choice, but none of it is worth it. I asked if I could be self catered in my hall, because I'd already settled in and didn't want to move despite the ridiculous financial cost (my student finance loan is £3000 short of my accomodation fees!) and was told the only way I could reduce my cost was to move halls.
    so whatever you do don't go catered at the university of Leeds! It's an awful system designed to make poor students not only poorer but also skinnier!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi, sorry to hear you’re not happy with your catered accommodation. I have spoken to our accommodation team just to provide a bit of an explanation to a couple of things you’re not happy with

The meal card system is designed to provide you with a decent breakfast and evening meal. It doesn’t cover lunch because we have found that a lot of people eat with their course mates and if they aren’t in catered accommodation may not want to eat in the Refectory every day. The allowance can’t be carried over because it is designed for you to be able to eat proper meals each day- rather than skimping on one day and saving it up. There would be a lot of food waste if people decided not to eat on certain days and then save it up and buy extra on other days.

We only charge you 31 weeks’ worth of catering but this is spread across the whole years rent (39 weeks); it would be confusing to charge different amounts on different weeks.

I’m afraid we can’t allow people to go self-catered in a catered hall – it’s not sustainable for the Refectory, and there are lots of self-catered alternatives.

We appreciate that you probably didn’t have as many accommodation options available and when applying for catered accommodation people accept the system as it is and there is information on our website explaining how it works. I hope this explains why the system is as it is and are glad you like Ellerslie – it’s a brilliant hall and I can quite understand why you don’t want to move even though you can’t be self-catered.
    (Original post by EcT7890)
    After going through clearing to get a place at Leeds I was offered Ellerslie Global Hall. The hall itself is lovely and has a great atmosphere, however Im given £64 a week for food. Which sounds like more than enough! But after one trip to any of the places on campus that accept refresh cards and you'll ****ise how wrong that assumption is! It'll buy you 2 meals at a push. And you cant even chose which meals because they aren't accepted from 11am-2pm. The money not spent isnt saved. The refresh card is not a "handy way to budget" but a way for the uni to make more money. That £10.30 a day is taken from you regardless of whether it's term time or not :mad::mad: the food is occasionally quite good and there is always a lot of choice, but none of it is worth it. I asked if I could be self catered in my hall, because I'd already settled in and didn't want to move despite the ridiculous financial cost (my student finance loan is £3000 short of my accomodation fees!) and was told the only way I could reduce my cost was to move halls.
    so whatever you do don't go catered at the university of Leeds! It's an awful system designed to make poor students not only poorer but also skinnier!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for replying, however I'm not sure I agree with some of those points. I think £10.30 a day should be enough for 3 meals. The fact that the refectory is always full at 2 o'clock suggests that actually people do want to eat lunch, and if we did want to eat with our course mates then they could join us there. I don't know anyone catered that would regularly eat with course mates elsewhere as this would involve spending even more money on food.
    We are young adults and quite capable of knowing how to eat healthily, so I think we should be given the choice, of when we can eat and how much we spend. There are many reasons why an individual may not spend all their allowance that have nothing to do with scrimping e.g. if they are on a field trip, if they're going home or visiting someone, if they're not feeling too well, if they're going out for a meal or if their meals does not quite come to £10.30. These reasons are already resulting in food wastage its just us thats paying for it. As a compromise I would suggest it should be possible for students to opt out of a days food in advance, this would mean you reduce wastage (by having a more accurate idea of numbers) and we could be given back the money from those days back at the end of the term.
    Your assumption that the refectory would not be sustainable if people could change to self-catered, is an admission of the floors in the system i.e. you know that if people could change then a lot of them would.

ReputationRep:
    Where do international students stay during semester breaks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.