Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.57...V-NTxWPxBQ!2e0

Which lane would you choose to go straight on (2nd exit) in this roundabout from the location I've linked to?

On the few occasions I've used this roundabout, most of the people who use the left lane go straight on but that looks wrong to me. There are no signs or markings on the road to tell you what to do. A friend told me he uses the left lane because so many people do, which makes it safer to go with them.

All of the other three entrances have clear signs to turn left if you're in the left lane.

ReputationRep:
    Unless the road markings explicitly say left lane left turn only, you can assume that it's the normal: left lane for left and straight, right lane for straight and right.

ReputationRep:
    the lane on the right, but I'd check my left mirror first and make sure nobody was cutting in from the left hand lane.

ReputationRep:
    The road markings on the roundabout make it impossible to merge from the left lane onto the roundabout.

Anyone merging from the left lane into the right is very likely to cut up (typically) faster moving traffic.

Right lane is the correct lane in this instance.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who uses the left lane to go anywhere other than left in that situation is an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    From nearly every angle, the car in the left lane goes straight on and the car in the right lane, goes into the far inside lane. Don't see why people find this so hard to grasp.

ReputationRep:
    Go by the 12 O'clock rule. If the turning is past the Twelve O'Clock point, then right hand lane (or middle) lane. Lots of people can't use roundabouts, so always approach with caution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    From nearly every angle, the car in the left lane goes straight on and the car in the right lane, goes into the far inside lane. Don't see why people find this so hard to grasp.
    In this case, there really should be lane markings saying the left lane is left turn only. If you're new to area or never driven there before, you're probably just going to assume you can use the left lane to go straight on as there's no road or sign markings saying otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKTomm)
    In this case, there really should be lane markings saying the left lane is left turn only. If you're new to area or never driven there before, you're probably just going to assume you can use the left lane to go straight on as there's no road or sign markings saying otherwise.
    I agree. I'm now using this roundabout regularly and keep seeing near misses where cars assume that the left lane is for going straight on.

I've written to my local council to suggest road markings but I doubt they'll do anything.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.