Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which should I choose taking into account how hard they are/ which looks better/ what unis prefer

I'm similar ability at both and my other a levels are maths Econ french

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I depends on what you want to do after, two languages would be alot of work purelly on the vocab learning however both have the same topics so you still have the same opinions and phrases.
    I do spanish at the moment and our school doesn't do english lang because they say it is the least respected but I'm not certain

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What Exam board will you be doing English Language on if you do it? because it varies a lot on exam boards.

I do English Language with AQA A, and my spec is semi-science based, with a unit on Language and mode, including the frameworks of language. The second unit is child language acquisition, which is a lot of theory work - you need to learn the basic steps for how a child learns language and several theories on how they learn to speak (including the behaviourist and cognitive theories).
    From experience, the English language exam is killer - my board specifically involving 2 essays in 2 hours, along with an identification of technique exercise.

Overall if you don't mind practising essays most of the year to get used to exam technique and have interest in the topics covered by your exam board (again the topics are quite different between exam boards) Also it is very different to GCSE no matter what exam board you are on though.

Despite all that it is an interesting subject and if you take on board the advise I just gave and are still interested then go for it also English language isn't the least respected, it is becoming more respected and it can be linked to quite a number of jobs or courses that you my apply for in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I didn't think it wouldn't be as respected most but for some reason my school thought that and wouldn't run it even when over 20 people wanted to do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all that info buddy!

Sounds quite interesting pretty sure my school doesn't do that board at least it doesn't sound like it

Cheers tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.