Turn on thread page Beta

How long should you wait between starting dating and marriage? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do you think is a good amount of time between meeting someone and getting engaged and then how long between engagement and marriage?

I know for most people it depends on the couple but how short would you be like "that's too short" and how long would it be until you got impatient?

ReputationRep:
    For me personally, after 1 year of being with you I expect to be engaged & married in 6 months- a year max. Why? Firstly I wouldn't date someone if don't see myself having a future with that person. If I did date the person that I liked and we're together for a year that means I really do like you (and vice versa otherwise the relationship would be over in week 2 lol). Also, I wouldn't have sex before marriage so that plays a big part in the timeline of how the relationship moved. I would be very critical & picky in the person I date though, and would be friends first.

Anyway, it depends on the person as some people wait 4 years, 10 years etc and others only decide after living together for a while.

ReputationRep:
    15 - 20 minutes.

But srs.. If I was being for real with a girl maybe after 2-3 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    3/4 years, Have already discussed this with my Girlfriend and we have agreed that we could get engaged within the next 3 years but not actually officaly married untill we have both completely left Uni and have our own place.

ReputationRep:
    10 years min.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not sure. Depends on where you are in life, really.
    My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 5 years. We don't have any intentions to get engaged for a good while, though; we are both still in uni, have no money, and v. young in the grand scheme of things (20 & 21).
    If we were mid - late 20s with a disposable income and our own place then we'd probably be engaged, if not married, by now.

ReputationRep:
    I think that 2 years is enough time to get to know someone well enough to decide if marriage is in the cards... so by then I'd hope to be engaged and married within the next year.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I think it depends on things like age, etc. I do know people who got engaged after being together for less than 10 months together, which to me, isn't long enough.

ReputationRep:
    It varies. I have heard of 1 couple who decided to get married having known each other in person for half an hour. They are still perfectly happily married 7/8 years later.
    There are other couples who got married having been dating on and off for years.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.