The Student Room Group

Indefinite leave to stay or Naturalization

Hello,

I am having difficulty, after getting conflicting views from the Home Office, on what I should do next.

Basically, I have been living in the UK for the last 14 years ( but I have a Pakistani Passport ) as a family member of an EEA National. I have already got 2 5 year stays, and this does not expire till Feb 2017.

I was told I can apply for British citizenship, through Naturalization, although I fulfill all the requirements, I do not have indefinite leave to stay.

So I contacted their office and was told that I do not have to apply for indefinite leave to stay so long I can prove I am dependent on my father.

Is this correct? The guy was very vague, waited nearly 20 minutes in the queue and he basically shoved me off after 1:40 seconds lol. I didnt even get all the answers that I needed!

Ive read many articles, and they all claim I need to have indefinite leave to stay and then apply for citizenship after a year. But if its possible for me to apply for citizenship straight away, I save myself waiting around 1 year and over a £1000!

Anyone able to help me?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending