Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The GNI per capita of Ukraine is only $8000. Compare it with its neighbours (all ex-soviet) having a GNI per capita of around $25000. Why?

ReputationRep:
    There's been a civil war going on atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spandy)
    The GNI per capita of Ukraine is only $8000. Compare it with its neighbours (all ex-soviet) having a GNI per capita of around $25000. Why?
    The EU.

In order to apply for membership you are forced to adopt market measures and get free trade and the like in return. On top of that, Poland for example has received a lot of development aid for infrastructure because the belief is that building a new motorway is a small price to pay from EU funds if the result is that British/German businesses have better access to the opportunities there.

Ukraine has had no such incentive because for most of the past 20 years it's stayed in a no mans land and the last 2 presidents pre-2013 have been if anything pro-Russian. It's service sector is poor, it's manufacturing is soviet and while it does sit on resources, it's not really gone down that road. Poland on the other hand now has a developing financial sector, a decent service sector and relatively good quality manufacturing and agriculture, i also believe they want to frack.

In short, it comes down to economic management.

ReputationRep:
    Capitalism init.

Everyone can't be rich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saayagain)
    Capitalism init.

Everyone can't be rich.
    Yet every generation in in the world seems to be richer than the one before.

The same with the ukraine.

The ukraine however is a bit like Russia. It just hasn't developed as much as it could've.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The EU.

In order to apply for membership you are forced to adopt market measures and get free trade and the like in return. On top of that, Poland for example has received a lot of development aid for infrastructure because the belief is that building a new motorway is a small price to pay from EU funds if the result is that British/German businesses have better access to the opportunities there.

Ukraine has had no such incentive because for most of the past 20 years it's stayed in a no mans land and the last 2 presidents pre-2013 have been if anything pro-Russian. It's service sector is poor, it's manufacturing is soviet and while it does sit on resources, it's not really gone down that road. Poland on the other hand now has a developing financial sector, a decent service sector and relatively good quality manufacturing and agriculture, i also believe they want to frack.

In short, it comes down to economic management.
    I wonder if we could convince the EU to invest in some infrastructure for the north of England, so European businesses would have better access to opportunities here :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Yet every generation in in the world seems to be richer than the one before.

The same with the Ukraine.

The Ukraine however is a bit like Russia. It just hasn't developed as much as it could've.
    I'm superior to you. Your points are so rubbish its embarrassing.

Being rich and being richer are two different things...

It is possible to be richer and still be poor.

You need to watch the Matrix again. Morpheus has some enlightening words for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    I wonder if we could convince the EU to invest in some infrastructure for the north of England, so European businesses would have better access to opportunities here :lol:
    We do actually get regional development funding. I think something like 20% of the Welsh budget is paid by the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    We do actually get regional development funding. I think something like 20% of the Welsh budget is paid by the EU.
    I was aware of Wales.

Isn't Wales and some areas of the South West among some of the most deprived within the EU, or something along those lines?

ReputationRep:
    Neo-communists formed a government and rule the country like a big mafia. Same goes for all ex-communist countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionheart96)
    There's been a civil war going on atm.
    Nah Ukraine was going down the ****ter long before the civil war kicked off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.