Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, basically I need some help,

I'm a second year student that's thinking about moving out of the family home and moving into somewhere with some friends.

This is where the issue is, I've done a student finance calculator with my parents income and everything but because they earn a fair amount the max loan I could get wouldn't cover rent and living costs/travel etc. Are there any ways round this or is that maximum amount with no exceptions or could you call student loans to negotiate?

Thanks for your help in advance!

ReputationRep:
    No negotiation with SF I'm afraid. The rules are fixed and take no account of your outgoings. You may need to get a part-time job and/or jobs during the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foggy111)
    Hi guys, basically I need some help,

I'm a second year student that's thinking about moving out of the family home and moving into somewhere with some friends.

This is where the issue is, I've done a student finance calculator with my parents income and everything but because they earn a fair amount the max loan I could get wouldn't cover rent and living costs/travel etc. Are there any ways round this or is that maximum amount with no exceptions or could you call student loans to negotiate?

Thanks for your help in advance!
    No ways round it. Your parents are expected to contribute something.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Does the max loan you've found include a grant?

Did you change the calculator to say that you'll be living away from home?

If you have then as the above two posters have said, your parents would be expected to help - or you'd need to look at getting a part time job.

ReputationRep:
    No negotiation - your parents are expected to help you.

Have you checked to see if you're eligible for any bursaries from your uni?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately as everyone else has said there is no negotiation with student finance, the maximum amounts are set in stone according to your circumstances. You'd be expected to find a part time job alongside your studies and/or ask your parents to contribute towards your living costs. A lot of students find themselves in this position every year so you definitely aren't the only one who finds their loans and grants don't cover the full cost of accommodation and food/books/travel etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.