Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Economics at Bristol, Durham or Edinburgh? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got offers from all 3, durham and bristol both asked for 38 at IB while edinburgh asked for 34. I think durham is the strongest for economics out if these unis (?) but they're all well known unis, not sure which city/town/uni is better, pros and cons. Sister wants me to stay nearer to the south near her ie bristol, but the course doesn't look that interesting. I used to really wanna go to Durham but now I'm not so sure. and edinburgh's a great city, just a little consistently cold! Any thoughts people? like on the courses, uni or location. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nanceheh)
    I got offers from all 3, durham and bristol both asked for 38 at IB while edinburgh asked for 34. I think durham is the strongest for economics out if these unis (?) but they're all well known unis, not sure which city/town/uni is better, pros and cons. Sister wants me to stay nearer to the south near her ie bristol, but the course doesn't look that interesting. I used to really wanna go to Durham but now I'm not so sure. and edinburgh's a great city, just a little consistently cold! Any thoughts people? like on the courses, uni or location. thanks
    I'm a Bristol student - definitely don't underestimate how valuable the location and the city of Bristol is in your decision (very easy to get to job interviews in London from Bristol). If you live in the South, going to Durham is a long way away, and a thoroughly boring place. Edinburgh in even further away, but at least Edinburgh is a cool city.

What are your concerns with the Bristol course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    I'm a Bristol student - definitely don't underestimate how valuable the location and the city of Bristol is in your decision (very easy to get to job interviews in London from Bristol). If you live in the South, going to Durham is a long way away, and a thoroughly boring place. Edinburgh in even further away, but at least Edinburgh is a cool city.

What are your concerns with the Bristol course?
    Hi! I actually live in another country but my sister lives and works in mid-South ish area basically not North ahah. Im not too concerned about city life vs boring because I really like both tbh. mainly for bristol the course looks quite traditional like econ finance accounting (I think) but I want to do something more geared towards public health or development or environment. but it's true bristol is probably one of the best locations in UK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nanceheh)
    Hi! I actually live in another country but my sister lives and works in mid-South ish area basically not North ahah. Im not too concerned about city life vs boring because I really like both tbh. mainly for bristol the course looks quite traditional like econ finance accounting (I think) but I want to do something more geared towards public health or development or environment. but it's true bristol is probably one of the best locations in UK!
    You're right that the economics course at Bristol has an emphasis on technical economics.

There are modules on developmental and environmental economics you can take.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Im a bristol uni student, in Economics/management. First year is tough. Lots of maths, even in micro/macro. Get ready to do some every week! Accounting isn't an issue for people, usually get good grades and quite hands-on/useful anyways. There are indeed development/environmental modules in second and 3rd years (even one in first but isn't great apparently).

BUT my main concern is: If you're looking for this type of modules to be core in your course, the chances are you won't be going at a good uni. If you want a good uni you're gonna have to go through all the 'annoying' old school stuff, because that's what the uni then sells to employers - thus to you.

I wouldn't worry about the environmental modules or whatever, you'll get plenty at Bristol if you choose to come, but it shouldn't direct your choice.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of advice here about making Firm & Insurance choices : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices

Remember, its the course you study for 3 years, not the Uni. Make sure you really do understand the differences in terms of optional units etc at each Uni, because if you get this wrong and dont enjoy what you are studying it'll be a miserable three years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shannou06)
    Hi,

Im a bristol uni student, in Economics/management. First year is tough. Lots of maths, even in micro/macro. Get ready to do some every week! Accounting isn't an issue for people, usually get good grades and quite hands-on/useful anyways. There are indeed development/environmental modules in second and 3rd years (even one in first but isn't great apparently).

BUT my main concern is: If you're looking for this type of modules to be core in your course, the chances are you won't be going at a good uni. If you want a good uni you're gonna have to go through all the 'annoying' old school stuff, because that's what the uni then sells to employers - thus to you.

I wouldn't worry about the environmental modules or whatever, you'll get plenty at Bristol if you choose to come, but it shouldn't direct your choice.
    Hi! thanks for your reply. My matts is actually really good (I think :P) im doing higher level at IB right now. I know what you have to do the standard micro macro stuff and lots of maths but mostly im just not interest in finance etc. I would just also like the opportunity do study something I love most alongside all the theory stuff etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sydneybridge)
    Lots of advice here about making Firm & Insurance choices : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices

Remember, its the course you study for 3 years, not the Uni. Make sure you really do understand the differences in terms of optional units etc at each Uni, because if you get this wrong and dont enjoy what you are studying it'll be a miserable three years.
    Hi! thanks, but yea it's also uni I think since I'll be living there for a few years. taking into consideration everything but of course the course is also an important factor

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Open this link and scroll to the lists, this should help perhaps.
    http://tinyurl.com/mfqa75h

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmanze)
    Open this link and scroll to the lists, this should help perhaps.
    http://tinyurl.com/mfqa75h

Hi thanks! I king of regret changing my mind from Bath to Bristol but nothing I can do now! I'm mostly not interested in banking/accounting/finance, I'm thinking of maybe doing like NHS structure model management kind of thing. But maybe I'll change my mind about banking etc. Thanks everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Bristol : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzMxTHksVT4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    You're right that the economics course at Bristol has an emphasis on technical economics.

There are modules on developmental and environmental economics you can take.
    Hey bud , I have an offer for MSc economics,finance & management . How good is the course as far as employability is concerned ? How does Bristol stand among other good UK universities in the field of Economics...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 3, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.