Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A*A*A - which uni will take me? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    So I have two slots left on my UCAS application to fill up, I'm on my gap year and achieved A*A*A (Maths, Physics, FMaths). Offers for physics at Imperial and Physics+Maths at Warwick.

As I want to fill in my other two choices in case I decide I suddenly want to do engineering in the near future, was just wondering what is the best uni I would have a decent shot of getting in for - I know the deadline is fast approaching but I might as well! I should mention my entire personal statement is physics-based - shouldn't be much of a problem for engineering?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Durham for Physics or NatSci?

ReputationRep:
    Who wouldn't take you?
    Honestly, even if your P.S is physics based, you'd stand a good shot anywhere, although I'd maybe change a few lines talking about real world applications for the physics from an engineering standpoint just to be safe.

ReputationRep:
    Most places, I imagine. Maybe apply at imperial for engineering and another uni you like with lower grades as a back up

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your discipline within engineering. Its not just engineering as a whole. Its hugely diverse......

If its Mechanical.....Id be shooting for Sheffield or Imperial. In that order. The highest offer generally is A*AA really.....Unless the rest of your application is tosh...But Id second the whole adjusting your PS a touch.....Id say something along the lines of an interest in physics applied and the resulting engineering.

Here is a list for you to google, mention a specific thing about them:

JET (Fusion reactor)
    MAST (Baby Fusion reactor)
    ITER (Fusion reactor)
    ISIS (Synchrotron)
    Diamond Light Source (Synchrotron) (Little clue here....something specific is in the name)
    CERN (Synchrotron)
    XFEL (Just being built in Germany)

Those are the big science experiments around Europe and I think you should talk about one of those.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys - applied for Bristol's aerospace as apparently that's quite good! Thanks for the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.