Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone I have an interview on the 28th at Plymouth involving a written test, a group discussion and a half hour interview with a panel :eek:
    they have given me the topic for discussion which will be ‘What is the role of social workers in modern society?’. does anyone have any idea what could say? also what are some current issues in social work? i have been doing research but i don't know if i'm looking in the right places. hope someone can help xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hi josie141,

Congratulations on your interview - sending the best of luck. I am doing Social Work at Bournemouth so know how tricky it can seem to approach them.

In terms of research you might want to have a look at the British Association of Social Work (BASW), Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE) and the International Federation of Social Work (IFSW).

You should find in there not only definitions as they see social work, but also articles about the profession from academics and people in practice.

You can also think about the different types of social work i.e. adults, children, mental health, older people - and think about the kind of social worker you want to be in modern society.

It might be important to also consider what modern society thinks of social workers (media representation) and how you might want to change this or not if you agree.

I hope this helps anyway and again Good Luck - I can't speak for Plymouth but I am really enjoying my course here and can't wait to get into practice later in the year!

Mish

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck with your interview! I applied for Plymouth last week. May I ask when you applied & how long it took to hear back? Thank you. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Mich that is a big help! X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LCollins2)
    Good Luck with your interview! I applied for Plymouth last week. May I ask when you applied & how long it took to hear back? Thank you. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi i submitted my ucas in November have you heard back yet? :-) x
    and i didn't hear back until last week

ReputationRep:
    Mine only got sent off yesterday by the college! As they had to do references etc. Hoping I hear back sometime this month. Iv heard social work is one of the hardest degrees to get an interview for so well done you!! :-) x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi LCollins2,

Just wondering how you got on and whether you had heard anything as yet?

It does take time to hear from some but you know you can always contact them and ask for a timeline of when you would expect them to get back to you. Just shows you are keen and that you are interested in hearing from them!

I think all degree courses are hard to get onto but because the social work course are an academic qualification (don't I know it) and a professional qualification this 'ups the anti' so to speak lol. Plus there is still the option of NHS funding in year two and three so it does make it a good option to go for - BUT and this is a big but - not everyone who applies gets an interview.

This is why I think it takes the academic teams a long time to get through all the applications as they are looking at more than just grade but they are looking at someone's ethics and values too.

Im sending you good luck though and if you have any questions then please feel free to ask. Im in my third year at Bournemouth and about to go out on placement so I know a little bit about the process by now.

Mish

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much Mish. I haven't heard back yet. I did get an email saying they hope to reply to everyone in two weeks but it can take longer. I am checking my emails everyday!! I think I am going mad haha! :-) x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling totally - I was checking UCAS track on a daily basis - just to make sure it hadn't crashed or anything lol.

I would give them three weeks and chase them up - nothing like being assertive!! And when you get on the course you will be taught about how as social workers we are working towards social justice for our clients so there is no harm in doing this for yourself!

Good Luck though and keep the page updated!

Mish

ReputationRep:
    I will, thank you! Your so kind! Fingers crossed x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a few social work interviews coming up. Biggest worry is the written assessment, how much help do you get with it? I've heard some are like a case study and others are just one question. Anyone got any experience or advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have 5/5 offers for social work. There is nothing to worry about as the tutors make the environment friendly and comfortable. I was also worried about the written tests. I have had various written assessments, but not allowed to give away anything. Two of them were case studies. Apart from one of them, there are usually bullet points under the question of the things they want you to include. Remember it's not about what you write, it's how you write it! If I can do it then so can you!

Where else have you applied?

ReputationRep:
    wow 5 offers! well done :-)
    I've been looking on sites you suggested mish and they were really useful :-) there are so many articles about social work posted every day, but i'm not sure what the main issues are if you know what I mean. I don't want to start discussing something random if they ask me .. what would you say are some of the biggest issues are at the moment in social work? or what kind of thing would they be likely to ask about? xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi, everyone I applied for social work 13th Jan and never heard anything yet Im dying to know whether I get an interview, also when did you get the topic of your written work josie141 was it before interview so you had a little bit time to gather some info, I really hope to hear soon just so I can prepare for interview ������

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millydoll)
    Hi, everyone I applied for social work 13th Jan and never heard anything yet Im dying to know whether I get an interview, also when did you get the topic of your written work josie141 was it before interview so you had a little bit time to gather some info, I really hope to hear soon just so I can prepare for interview ������

Hi Millydoll are you applying for Plymouth? you get the group discussion topic in advance when you get your interview invite- this was discuss the role of a social worker in todays modern society, the written test is only 20 minutes and you don't get the topic in advance- you just have to do it on the spot but it isn't difficult. for Plymouth we just had to write one a4 sheet on our strongest points and how these would benefit us as social workers and our weaknesses we need to improve on. have you heard back yet? xxx

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LCollins2)
    I will, thank you! Your so kind! Fingers crossed x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Had my interview for Plymouth today have sent you a p.m about it x

ReputationRep:
    Thank you josie141 for getting back to me with the information im applying for sunderland uni I still haven't heard anything yet 😕 hope u hear soon x

ReputationRep:
    Hi Millydoll I applied on the 14th & iv not heard back either :-( they say no news is good news. Fingers crossed xx

ReputationRep:
    Good luck guys, it's a very nervous time this time last year I got offered my place and I'm a first year at Bournemouth uni doing social work. So best of luck xx

ReputationRep:
    Hope that saying is true 😃 lcollins2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.