The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Durham College Allocation Thread (for 2015 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Dylann
Chemistry. I've spoken to a few people who are at Durham and say they don't really know much about Mildert...and I saw the other post and it looks like Grey are really good for sport, Mildert is...let's say...not quite up there lol....are you going for the open days?

No unfortunately, I don't live in the UK, so it's a lot of money just to get to London.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by gogotem
I was a bit worried about the sport aspect being at Castle but its been great. College sport is excellent - teams in most sports (male, female, mixed) with inter-college leagues. I signed up to stuff I'd never done before - lacrosse and rowing, plus the usual rugby, football etc. I'll never make a university standard player but that doesn't matter its the taking part which is the best bit.

The Hill colleges generally do better and have more teams but that isn't true in all cases.

Training is done at Maiden Castle or the Racecourse. Swimming at the Durham city pool.

There is as much sport as you want - or conversely as little as you want. All colleges participate.

The college I got allocated to (mildert) doesn't seem to have a table tennis team (my sport!). What can I do in order to play table tennis? Durham seem to do well in University table tennis. Also what do you know about van mildert :biggrin:?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elle97
hurray, someone else who got into Johns! I got in for English lit, so excited!

Wooo! :biggrin: same here! It's gonna be so much fun since it's such a small college!
If you choose Monday for the open day date, but are not stopping overnight, are the department sessions you are booked in for on the Tuesday?

Also can I still look round my college if I'm not stopping over?
Reply 244
Original post by Dylann
The college I got allocated to (mildert) doesn't seem to have a table tennis team (my sport!). What can I do in order to play table tennis? Durham seem to do well in University table tennis. Also what do you know about van mildert :biggrin:?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that you can join the uni club, from what I can gather they take all abilities as long as you are enthusiastic.

Don't know much about the inner workings of Van Mildert other than having a friend who was allocated there despite applying to Chads. She loves it and thinks it is great and wouldn't change now. She was very wary, went to the offer holders day and her views on it were completely changed. It doesn't sell itself well and some of the things that you read on SR are a tad out of date,particularly regarding reputations etc.
Original post by powelsmartin
Hi I'm not a Durham applicant but I'd like to ask a question out of concern for a friend:

Has everyone been given an offer or rejected already, or are there people still waiting?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there! I don't think everyone has got a decision yet. My school warned me when I applied that people sometimes don't get an answer until March, so tell your friend not to worry! I think there's a couple of people I know who are still waiting (as far as I'm aware) :smile:
So anyone else at St Hild & St Bede for Law? :smile:
Got an offer from University :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vesper Logan
Hey there! I don't think everyone has got a decision yet. My school warned me when I applied that people sometimes don't get an answer until March, so tell your friend not to worry! I think there's a couple of people I know who are still waiting (as far as I'm aware) :smile:

Right, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaelba
Politics, you?

Geology :smile:
Original post by Millymd
Got an offer from University :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats:smile:Mes felicitations:wink: Je vais a St.Cuthbert's:smile:
Reply 251
Original post by trubadur
Not yet.I am torn between Durham and StAndrews:smile:

How're you making the decision. I have days of being sure of durham and then moments of but St.A...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rid
How're you making the decision. I have days of being sure of durham and then moments of but St.A...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really difficult decision:smile: In autumn, when I applied,my first choice was StA 75%. As of today it's 60% Durham:wink:
Need more info, hints or tips:biggrin:Any support is welcome
Hey, sorry to but in,
I've applied for arch & anth at Durham via referral, I was just wondering how accommodation/colleges would work? If I get an offer, do I get assigned a college or can I choose still?
Thanks
Reply 254
Josephine Butler for Engineering! I put it as my preference, but wasn't expecting to get it, let alone hear back so soon since my offer came after the 1st of February. Then again, now I'm worried it's not the right college for me. We'll see at the open day :smile:
Original post by trubadur
Really difficult decision:smile: In autumn, when I applied,my first choice was StA 75%. As of today it's 60% Durham:wink:
Need more info, hints or tips:biggrin:Any support is welcome

I'm waiting for St Andrews to offer me, but heard nothing yet. However I've already 100% decided Durham, as I knew I would anyhow. Even if I'd got Oxford, frankly at interview I knew I didn't want to go there. Durham seems to suit me perfectly.

St Andrews is a nice place, but its isolated. And while I like smaller cities, the hassle of St Andrews has to be considered.

I will have to fly to whichever place, and the thought of a bus/train for 2 hours before even getting to Edinburgh airport...then a flight... its just too much.
Anyone else Trevelyan for physics? :smile:
I got Hatfield for computer science :smile:
Original post by game well and truly over
I'm waiting for St Andrews to offer me, but heard nothing yet. However I've already 100% decided Durham, as I knew I would anyhow. Even if I'd got Oxford, frankly at interview I knew I didn't want to go there. Durham seems to suit me perfectly.

St Andrews is a nice place, but its isolated. And while I like smaller cities, the hassle of St Andrews has to be considered.

I will have to fly to whichever place, and the thought of a bus/train for 2 hours before even getting to Edinburgh airport...then a flight... its just too much.

Wish you'll get the offer from StA soon:wink:
It's a tough decision, but anyway a pleasure to know you are respected, and the choice is definitely yours:smile:
Original post by noumenon
In terms of prestige they're pretty equal; St Andrews has the edge internationally, but Durham has it nationally, so this factor is pretty negligible.
With regards to teaching, Durham is brilliant. Whilst I haven't experienced much of St Andrews, after going to multiple philosophy and politics lectures given by Durham lecturers I can tell you that they're of a very good standard.
Also the student experience is better; Durham has the best of both worlds. Similar to St Andrews it's very old and 'pretty', and the inner city can feel like a small town at times. However, it also benefits from many of the features of a city, that St Andrews doesn't have ie cinemas, bars, clubs. It is also a couple of quid train ride away from Newcastle (my city) which has a great night life. Coupled with that, most trains which run north to south go through it because it aligns itself with Newcastle and Edinburgh, which is very convenient for lugging bags up and down (unlike St Andrews.)
Finally the collegiate system is a massive benefit in that it provides a security blanket for anyone nervous about moving from home, and ensures that you'll find a group of finds. On top of this the locals are hilarious.

Hope this is of help!!:smile:

Thank you very much.It is really reassuring:smile:
Are there good connections to Edinburgh or Doncaster airports?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending