Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do Nigerians have a bad reputation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand
    Is it because of their reputation as crooks?
    Because it's one of the most powerful African countries?
    I'm not starting this thread because I'm from Nigerian descent (I'm from Gambian descent actually), by the way

ReputationRep:
    When was it decided that Nigerians have a bad reputation? I wasn't told about this.

ReputationRep:
    I have all the answers you will ever need. Send me your bank account details and I will send you everything.

ReputationRep:
    Because they never pay your lottery winnings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    When was it decided that Nigerians have a bad reputation? I wasn't told about this.
    It just seems to me that other Africans don't have a positive view of Nigerians.
    That's it. I'm not trying to say that Nigerians DO have a bad reputation.
    I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedanselemyia)
    It just seems to me that other Africans don't have a positive view of Nigerians.
    That's it. I'm not trying to say that Nigerians DO have a bad reputation.
    I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way.
    Nah I'm neither African nor offended. Just British and curious.

ReputationRep:
    Nah I'm neither African nor offended. Just British and curious.
    I see
    So you've never noticed the stigma?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    I have all the answers you will ever need. Send me your bank account details and I will send you everything.
    Nice one lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedanselemyia)
    I see
    So you've never noticed the stigma?
    Totally oblivious, never heard Nigerians mentioned in the list of foreigners people like to moan about over here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    Lool. Funny guy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. I don't think they have a bad 'reputation' but what I would say is that people are becoming more aware of the 419 scam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    they don't? not with anyone I know anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Guess it's because I heard Lagos is a worldwide center in scamming but it's a undeserved reputation?

ReputationRep:
    This is actually something I've heard of before.

There's a running joke, especially with a nigerian female comedian a few years ago that all nigerian women hit their kids. By extension I've got the feeling many people see Nigerians as either being violent or abusive to children. That was I would say 5-10 years ago.

Now mostly people identify Nigeria with scammers.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot of them are ending up in the square mile these days. In general they seem to have a fixation with fast money, labels and materialism at all levels of social class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adipoptosis)
    Because they never pay your lottery winnings
    Neither do the Spanish or Dutch...

ReputationRep:
    Totally oblivious, never heard Nigerians mentioned in the list of foreigners people like to moan about over here.
    Haha
    It's more a between African thing then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 91_House)
    Quite a lot of them are ending up in the square mile these days. In general they seem to have a fixation with fast money, labels and materialism at all levels of social class.
    That's what my mother thinks actually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    This is actually something I've heard of before.

There's a running joke, especially with a nigerian female comedian a few years ago that all nigerian women hit their kids. By extension I've got the feeling many people see Nigerians as either being violent or abusive to children. That was I would say 5-10 years ago.

Now mostly people identify Nigeria with scammers.
    That's true :\

ReputationRep:
    They have a reputation for being drug dealers and gangsters in South Africa. No doubt a lot of crime lords are Nigerian, but it is easier to lay the blame on outsiders than admit that a part of your society is morally bankrupt. Those Nigerians didn't create the problem, the took advantage of a gap in the market and succeeded over local gangsters and criminals. But most Nigerians in South Africa are hard-working and law biding, they tend to stick together and are quite entrepreneurial. No doubt that leads to part of their resentment across the African continent.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.