Turn on thread page Beta

Bumpsy, poggled and up the pole? Then you must be drunk! How the English language dev watch

    • Thread Starter

    From ancient mead-halls to modern pubs and clubs, it seems mankind has always enjoyed drinking - but the way we talk about alcohol has changed a lot over the centuries.
    Whereas once the words 'drunken' and 'inebriated' sufficed to describe over-indulging, now we resort to elaborate euphemisms such as 'squiffy', 'blotto' and 'wasted'.
    And in addition to modern slang for drinking, there are a host of now obsolete words once used to describe a heavy binge - the likes of 'bumpsy', 'suckey' and 'hit under the wing'.

    The history of the ways the English language describes alcohol has been traced by eminent linguistics professor David Crystal using the Historical Thesaurus of the Oxford English Dictionary.
    In a new book, the academic reveals that the vocabulary of drinking is richer than almost any other topic - and unites English-speakers across barriers of class, age and gender.

    During the Anglo-Saxon period, the words 'drunken' and 'fordrunken' were the most common ways of describing alcoholic excess, Professor Crystal writes in the book Words in Time and Place.

    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3OdtNSWea
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

    Probably only men's floppy parts have more words to describe them than the act of being drunk. I usually use the term 'pissed' or 'wasted', and had never thought about just how many words I could use to describe it!
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2015
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.