Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What if he thinks I'm trying to chat him up? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I went to a conference last week where my old lectuerer was presenting as a keynote speaker.

Unfortunately I didn't get to talk to him much, because of my shyness I avoided eye contact, all I said is hi and all he said was hi back. I somehow feel I should have made greater effort to talk to him and try and catch up with him. In my defense, he was busy talking to various people most of the time.

Now I'm back at work and my colleagues and manager would like me to get in touch with him so that we can have him in our network, particularly to collaborate on research projects. My work mate suggested a draft an email saying how I enjoyed his keynote and that we would like an opportunity for joint working...... blah blah blah.

I'm worried that he might think I'm chatting him up.....

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone from your past wants a romantic relationship?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZeroName)
    Not everyone from your past wants a romantic relationship?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, I wasn't implying he wants a romantic relationship, but what if he thinks that's what I'm after, he might be suspicious of my intentions. He is a good looking guy.

ReputationRep:
    Just write a professional email rather than a chatty one.

Or, to lay it on really thick,

"I have been instructed to contact you by my manager as (s)he is interested in exploring opportunities for collaboration, hence this email.…"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    "I have been instructed to contact you by my manager as (s)he is interested in exploring opportunities for collaboration, hence this email.…"
    Haha, that's off putting.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.