Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wrote out a massive story but realised it was too long haha , inb4 TLDR
    my girlfriend is costing me a lot of money
    I don't have much
    Need to save for uni
    When I mentioned I need to stop spending so thoughtlessly, and that her expecting me to buy stuff without getting the money back or her pay for stuff sometimes was met with passive aggressiveness and childlike/unreasonable arguments and conclusions.
    What can I say to her to get her to realise that money isn't as easy to come by as she thinks, without her getting annoyed at me being "tight"?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So she only goes out with you because you buy her things?

Did you want a trophy girlfriend?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should just be honest and to the point, if its bothering you then let her know. She should understand.
    If not, and it causes arguments, ask her why it has to be you to pay for everything. Equality and all that!
    Trust me though, I have been in a similar situation, and I'm female... My ex was saving up for a car and told me that I should pay for things if I wanted to go out, I was more than happy to pay my half and his occasionally but if we went for a meal and a movie once a week it got quite expensive. Eventually I told him that I didn't have the money to pay for us both all the time and after a few childish rants he came around. The relationship didn't last much longer ha ha

ReputationRep:
    Dump the horrendously gold-digging basic -----

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like she's into with you for the money. Try telling her that you need to save up money for the future for you and the both of you, and that you won't be able to spend much on her.

if she likes and genuinely cares you she will understand and try to help But if she throws a tantrum, you might need to let her go

ReputationRep:
    high maintenance partner that doesn't give anything in return?
    get rid of her early I'd say. Sounds a bit spoilt?

ReputationRep:
    Slap her across the face...imean uhhh... No actually I do mean slap her across the face, **** it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not everything needs a long drawn out discussion.

"Your turn to pay for x today." will suffice. If she balks, throw the "stop being tight" argument back in her face.

ReputationRep:
    ...why are you still with her?

ReputationRep:
    get out, you should have acted like you had no money in the process and then she will see if she likes you or your money. reminds me of a program called joe milliionaire.

ReputationRep:
    Run!

ReputationRep:
    If her being bought things really bothers her, run for the hills and find a girl that wants you and not your money

ReputationRep:
    Gold digger. Or teenage princess wannabe.
    first one, will dry you out.
    second one, clingy psycho material.
    Run my friend run fast.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so maybe my op is a little misleading; it's not like she expects me to buy stuff, it's like she doesn't understand the value of money, and underestimates how much I spend on her and overestimates how much she spends on me, so what I'm asking is how can I get her to understand the value of money?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.