Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm not looking to buy a new DSLR just yet, hopefully at some point this year, but I've been narrowing down my possibilities. I'm looking for something in the £600-£850 range and I've so far selected the Nikon D600/D610, Pentax K-3 and Olympus OM-D EM-5. Call me hipster, but I'm not interested in buying a Canon. Can anyone give me some advice for cameras in that price range that are durable and with good image quality - (namely vibrant colours and good sharpness). I've only ever taken portraits on my SLR, and I'm not really into taking people shots. I am however wanting to take some more nature photos i.e. birds, mammals. I'm still currently using a Casio EX-FH 25 I got a few years ago, as well as an Olympus OM-10. I'm not into using Lightroom etc. either. I'm far too much of a purist when it comes to photography. Lastly, how quickly do cameras decrease in price after going on sale? I know they're almost always cheaper on eBay/Amazon but those sites can seem risky.

Here's my blog here if you'd like to take a gander: http://ianparkphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iangpark)
    Hello! I'm not looking to buy a new DSLR just yet, hopefully at some point this year, but I've been narrowing down my possibilities. I'm looking for something in the £600-£850 range and I've so far selected the Nikon D600/D610, Pentax K-3 and Olympus OM-D EM-5. Call me hipster, but I'm not interested in buying a Canon. Can anyone give me some advice for cameras in that price range that are durable and with good image quality - (namely vibrant colours and good sharpness). I've only ever taken portraits on my SLR, and I'm not really into taking people shots. I am however wanting to take some more nature photos i.e. birds, mammals. I'm still currently using a Casio EX-FH 25 I got a few years ago, as well as an Olympus OM-10. I'm not into using Lightroom etc. either. I'm far too much of a purist when it comes to photography. Lastly, how quickly do cameras decrease in price after going on sale? I know they're almost always cheaper on eBay/Amazon but those sites can seem risky.

Here's my blog here if you'd like to take a gander: http://ianparkphotography.blogspot.co.uk/
    The D600/D610 are £1000+ full frame cameras body only, not quite in your budget!

Is your budget for just the body or lenses too? If you're wanting to shoot wildlife a decent telephoto lens is going to be pretty important.

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out Canon, the 70D and 7D are both very popular cameras for this sort of shooting. I'm not saying these are necessarily the best options for you, but unless you have a practical reason for not wanting a Canon camera I'd keep them on the table while you make your decision!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm not looking to buy a new DSLR just yet, hopefully at some point this year, but I've been narrowing down my possibilities. I'm looking for something in the £600-£850 range and I've so far selected the Nikon D600/D610, Pentax K-3 and Olympus OM-D EM-5. Call me hipster, but I'm not interested in buying a Canon.

Basically if you haven't got at least £1500 to play with forget the idea of a full frame nikon body. Look at the D7100/D7000, they're both very capable cameras.

Also if you're happy to consider cameras that don't look like a SLR/DSLR, I know some people aren't because they want to look more 'professional' with a 'big' camera, have a look at Sony's offerings. I think the a6000 in particular is rated pretty highly, but obviously not as highly as the A7/A7II.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for something in the £600-£850 range and I've so far selected the Nikon D600/D610, Pentax K-3 and Olympus OM-D EM-5.
    As people have mentioned before, that rules out something like the D610. You also need to factor in the price of additional equipment like a bag, possibly a tripod, additional batteries, SD cards and filters and, most importantly, lenses. You won't tap the full potential of any of those cameras with just the kit lens.

Can anyone give me some advice for cameras in that price range that are durable and with good image quality - (namely vibrant colours and good sharpness).
    The most durable out of those you mentioned is probably the Pentax - fully weather sealed (like the Olympus), full metal body, built like a tank. The Olympus is smaller. Both have great image quality, the Pentax is probably slightly better (a tad more modern, larger sensor etc.). The Pentax' standard settings give quite vibrant colours which you might like, at the same time the Olympus JPEG engine is usually hailed as the best on the market.

However, for birds in flight you want a very fast and accurate AF, something that points towards the Canon 7D.

I'm not into using Lightroom etc. either. I'm far too much of a purist when it comes to photography.
    I think you're mistaking purism with something else. Some people look down on those who use Lightroom, but this is pretty ridiculous. Shooting JPEG instead of RAW essentially just means leaving the processing to your camera, because there is ALWAYS processing going on. Using Lightroom (or any other RAW converter) just means that you keep full control over important parameters that determine how your picture will turn out. It's the same thing as in the old film days - people took their negatives and developed them in the dark room, using different chemicals and various techniques to influence the results.

There's a reason 99% of pros and most serious amateurs use RAW/Lightroom.

Lastly, how quickly do cameras decrease in price after going on sale? I know they're almost always cheaper on eBay/Amazon but those sites can seem risky.
    Quite quickly (after a couple of months), so it's usually advisable to buy a slightly older model (both the Olympus and Pentax are great value right now). I wouldn't class Amazon as risky at all, it's a massive, reputable seller.

ReputationRep:
    Why not Canon?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not into using Lightroom etc. either. I'm far too much of a purist when it comes to photography.
    Just to pick up on this, post processing has long been a part of photography. Before digital imagery, photographers would burn and dodge their images in their dark rooms. Refusing to process images doesn't really make you a purist as part of the skill lies in making the best out of what the camera captured.

ReputationRep:
    Full-frame DSLRs are nice with better dynamic range and low light capabilities, but if you're looking to take photos of nature and wildlife, you might benefit from an DSLR with a crop sensor so you get a little extra zoom!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.