Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is turning down a russell group uni for a non russell a bad idea? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all
    I've received all my offers from UCAS I applied to 3 russells, Reading and Winchester. I got ABB offer from all the unis. I really want to go to Reading for as various reasons I feel its the best choice for me. However am I making a terrible mistake turning down better universities for a non russell? I don't want to end up with a worthless degree
    PS apologies if this is the wrong place to post or a similar thread already exists!
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Anna1437)
    Depends which the RGs are and what the subject is.

ReputationRep:
    Classical studies and Cardiff and Birmingham which I really did not like at all, and Manchester which I did like but not as much.

ReputationRep:
    dude bath isn't a russell group and its a quality institution. The Russell group badge is only an indicator of a University's study into topics in house, not the actual quality of the courses.
    The benefit of being a russell group university is increased funding to their universities. Other than that there isn't much of a direct influence on you the student.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok I was told that some recruiting people for jobs will just throw applications away if they're not from certain unis. I'm not 100% sure yet but think I want to be a solicitor

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position, I applied to 1 russell and 2 non russell unis and received an offer from each of them. I think I'm going to chose one of the non russell unis since it has the course that appeals to me most. At the end of the day it's about taking the degree that is most suited to you...

ReputationRep:
    That's what I'm thinking. I worry if I go to somewhere I don't like the course I'd lose focus and get a rubbish degree

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, you should just go to where you think it would suit you best.

ReputationRep:
    lol at how my only russell group uni is LSE and i barely scrape their entry req :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone think I just got a bit caught up in the whole prestige obsession thing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.