Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B733 - Electoral Bill 2015, TSR UKIP
    Electoral Act 2015

An Act to modify who can vote, and who is eligible to stand for election in Britain.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Definitions

1) ‘Commonwealth’ includes the following countries:
    Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados,Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Cameroon, Canada, Cyprus, Dominica, Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent & The Grenadines, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Vanuatu, Zambia

2: Eligibility

1) The following people aged 18 or older may vote in a British election:
    1.1) British citizens
    1.2) Citizens of Commonwealth countries who have been resident in Britain for more than three years, or have leave to enter or remain in the Britain, or not require such leave; and have been enrolled on the electoral register before this bill becomes law.
    1.3) People lawfully imprisoned are not eligible to vote.
    1.4) Following the passing of this bill no non-British citizens will be eligible to join the electoral register.

3: Standing for Election

1) Any British citizen age 18 or older may stand for election.
    2) Any Commonwealth citizen who has indefinite leave to remain in Britain or does not need such leave.
    3) The person has occupied as owner or tenant any land or other premises in the local authority during the whole of the 18 months before the day of nomination to stand in the election.
    4) The person is, and will continue to be, registered as a local government elector for the local authority area in which a person wished to stand from the day of nomination.

4: Disqualification

1) A person is employed by the local authority or hold a paid office under the authority.
    2) The person seeking nomination has been imprisoned (including a suspended sentence) for longer than two years, without the option for a fine, in the 5 years preceding nomination.

5: Anonymous voting

1) This act removes the ability for a person to register and vote anonymously.

6: Commencement, Short Title and Extent

1. This bill may be cited as the Electoral Act 2014
    2. This bill shall extend to the whole of Britain for all British elections
    3. This bill will come into force immediately after passing.

Notes

This bill achieves the following:

1. Enforces the electoral rules for British Parliamentary elections to all elections in Britain.
    2. Disenfranchises no one who would currently be allowed to vote in British Parliamentary elections but introduces a citizenship qualification for enrollment on the electoral register, eventually leading to a citizenship qualification for enfranchisement.
    3. As time passes, the number of non-British citizens voting will naturally decline allowing only British citizens to vote.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. If we're happy to have people work and pay tax in this country, they have the right to vote on how it is governed too.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    No, voting rights should be based on residence, not nationality.

ReputationRep:
    How are you defining British election? Will non-British citizens still be able to vote in local elections? And I doubt there's much you can do about European Parliament elections.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Countries that don't recognise dual-citizenship: Andorra, Austria, Azerbaijan, Burma, Bahrain, Botswana, Japan, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Ecuador, Estonia, Iran, Poland, Papua New Guinea, Brunei, Japan, Peru, Kuwait, Kenya, Kazakhstan, Chile, Kiribati, Poland, Korea, Kuwait, Denmark, Latvia, Singapore, Slovakia, Ecuador, Lithuania, Solomon Islands, Malaysia, Mauritius, Netherlands, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Romania, Thailand, Mexico, Nepal, Venezuela, Norway, Zimbabwe, Mauritius, Myanmar

I believe that UK residents who would otherwise meet the criteria for citizenship should be allowed to vote in UK elections, thereby having a say in the way they are governed - as is their human right. This legislation is backwards, undemocratic and flies in the face of the internationalist principles the TSR Labour Party stands for.

Nay.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Tbh I don't think even the RL UKIP would try to implement something like this.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    A definite nay

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll decide once i've slept however you'll either need to change 18 to 16, or repeal the libertarian suffrage act in this bill.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Nay. First of all, this flies in the face of the Maastricht Treaty, which establishes the right of EU citizens to vote in local elections and to stand as a candidate. Second of all, if residents are expected to pay their taxes, they should have a say in what their taxes are spent on. If residents are expected to obey the laws of the country they reside in, they should have a say in who creates these laws, and be able to vote on the agenda for the next term. We're moving backwards here, and I would be interested in the justification for this.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye

Residents paying tax should not necessarily have a say on how their taxes are spent. If residents need to obey laws they should not necessarily have a say on those laws. If a resident in Britain does not like what their tax money is being spent on, or does not like certain laws they should go to another country. After all, the residents are guests in Britain, and do not need to be here. This bill is no more extreme than current voting laws in Australia which moved to a citizenship qualification in the 80's.

If paying tax results in representation, it is all well and good but it is only logical to extend those principles so those who pay more tax end up having more representation. The EU elections I classify as being separate to a British election.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Nay, I also believe prisoners should vote if they are to feel part of society when releced.

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

ReputationRep:
    And what about Northern Ireland? Many of them aren't classed as British citizens?

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I very much hope that certain honourable members would, to use potentially unparliamentary language, shut up about Australia.

Hey UKIP...

^ My response

(Original post by RayApparently)
    Countries that don't recognise dual-citizenship: Andorra, Austria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Poland, Denmark, Latvia, Slovakia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Romania, Norway.

GCC/Middle Eastern countries.
    Actually they all do, providing that it's within the EU an you left Germany off the list if you disagree.

The Middle Eastern countries don't due to how hard it is to obtain their citizenship but that said, they don't care with their citizens become citizens elsewhere, they just lose the advantages of being a citizen of X country once they become a citizen of Y. If I could be a citizen of a Gulf Cooperation Council Country, I would!!!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Nay
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Actually they all do, providing that it's within the EU an you left Germany off the list if you disagree.
    Should have added a disclaimer about the comprehensiveness of the list which was, of course, pasted.

The Middle Eastern countries don't due to how hard it is to obtain their citizenship but that said, they don't care with their citizens become citizens elsewhere, they just lose the advantages of being a citizen of X country once they become a citizen of Y. If I could be a citizen of a Gulf Cooperation Council Country, I would!!!
    Yes... that is the definition of dual-citizenship... Thank you...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.