Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WhatsApp, Snapchat and iMessage could be banned if Tories win the GE watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Independent)
    David Cameron could block WhatsApp and Snapchat if he wins the next election, as part of his plans for new surveillance powers announced in the wake of the shootings in Paris.

The Prime Minister said today that he would stop the use of methods of communication that cannot be read by the security services even if they have a warrant. But that could include popular chat and social apps that encrypt their data, such as WhatsApp.

Apple's iMessage and FaceTime also encrypt their data, and could fall under the ban along with other encrypted chat apps like Telegram.

The comments came as part of David Cameron's pledge to revive the “snoopers’ charter” to help security services spy on internet communications today.

He said: “In our country, do we want to allow a means of communication between people which […] we cannot read?” He made the connection between encrypted communications tools and letters and phone conversations, both of which can be read by security services in extreme situations and with a warrant from the home secretary.

But companies such as WhatsApp have remained committed to keeping their services encrypted and unable to be read by authorities, a project which has stepped up in the wake of the Edward Snowden’s revelations on NSA surveillance.
    Source

Another interesting and seemingly controversial announcement from the Conservatives. I can't think this will do much to help them with the youth vote. However, are the Tories right to say that messaging services that encrypt their data should be banned for the good of safety in society, or is this just another sign that the UK is becoming a nanny state?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    Source

Another interesting and seemingly controversial announcement from the Conservatives. I can't think this will do much to help them with the youth vote. However, are the Tories right to say that messaging services that encrypt their data should be banned for the good of safety in society, or is this just another sign that the UK is becoming a nanny state?
    The Tories are capitalists and such apps are extremely popular, i highly doubt they'd be stupid enough to start this Chinese style censorship. I'm sure an agreement would be reached.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah............thats not happening, lets be honest, politician's say this and that and eventually they will cave and make a u-turn on issues which causes an outcry among citizens.

This is not gonna get them any support from the younger generation of voters who heavily use such services nor do people anybody to be able to access your messages.

Encryption also prevents other hostile forces from accessing your info, foreign governments, blackmailers, criminals, etc
    It's there to protect your privacy, banning it will cause more problems.

ReputationRep:
    Wont happen.

ReputationRep:
    They will never take my WhatsApp!

but I doubt they'll get many votes in the future if they do this with the amount of young people using these apps

ReputationRep:
    If this is true then our society is becoming like 1984 more and more.

There's a problem with terrorism so to solve it we're not going to allow the entire population to communicate as a result, or alternatively we're going to be looking at every word/photo they send.

ReputationRep:
    If you can organise an effective terrorist attack over snapchat then fair play to you.

ReputationRep:
    What a sorry state of affairs this is. Giving up our liberties as a free people just because of a few blood thirsty jihadists who need there heads rammed through a very sharp spike to wake up their dead brains which have clearly not been active in any useful capacity for a very long time. 1984 here we come. I hate those asshats over at ISIS and Al Qaeda

ReputationRep:
    What is wrong with british politicians? First foxes, now apps??? Like what they wanna see kinky snaps uni junkies send or what?
    UK learn how to campaign. This is trolling.
    There are real issue to discuss...

ReputationRep:
    The Prime Minister's plans for new surveillance laws were revealed today and could mean the end of several popular messaging services.
    Mr Cameron has pledged to stop all methods of communication that can't be read by any of the UK's security services, leaviing the likes of of WhatsApp and Snapchat, which encrypt data, facing a total ban after the next election.
    The Prime Minister explained: “In our country, do we want to allow a means of communication between people which we cannot read?
    "My answer to that question is no we must not".
    If new legislation is pursued it could still prove to be almost impossible to prevent the use of encrypted communication apps entirely.
    The move is also likely to face serious challenges from civil liberties groups and could prove incredibly unpopular with voters who rely on these new services.
    All of the big messaging apps, including Apple's iMessage and FaceTime, currently encrypt their data.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...napchat-UK-ban

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    The Prime Minister's plans for new surveillance laws were revealed today and could mean the end of several popular messaging services.
    Mr Cameron has pledged to stop all methods of communication that can't be read by any of the UK's security services, leaviing the likes of of WhatsApp and Snapchat, which encrypt data, facing a total ban after the next election.
    The Prime Minister explained: “In our country, do we want to allow a means of communication between people which we cannot read?
    If new legislation is pursued it could still prove to be almost impossible to prevent the use of encrypted communication apps entirely.
    The move is also likely to face serious challenges from civil liberties groups and could prove incredibly unpopular with voters who rely on these new services.
    All of the big messaging apps, including Apple's iMessage and FaceTime, currently encrypt their data.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...napchat-UK-ban
    Well it's not a big surprise- it fits in with the Government's urge to look at every action we do using the latest technology under the overused 'counter-terrorism' excuse.

Anyway, what does the government want to do with an even larger haystack of communication data (than they already have), when 99.9999999999% has nothing to do with terrorism.

I think it's ironic that the West would never lash out against VPNs in China which allow you to use Facebook while simultaneously having a strange need to look at its own citizens' communication information. *hypocrisy*. And there are always going to be some people who are going to make software to bypass the ban, rendering the ban impractical. If it's ignored by enough people it'd become impractical for the Government to punish all of them.

I really hope that Theresa May doesn't become the next Conservative leader- imagine what she'd be like...

ReputationRep:
    Hardly surprising considering it let Vodafone off £11bn in tax and such corporations would fain from WhatsApp ban in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It won't happen.

ReputationRep:
    Never going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    I hope it happens so I can see the mass QQ.

ReputationRep:
    dear god. Did he really say that?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Even if they get a majority win, I highly doubt that it'll pass through both houses and I'd expect many rebellion votes even under whips.

ReputationRep:
    ... Lost my vote

ReputationRep:
    ****ing ****!

ReputationRep:
    The BBC reports on what Cameron said ...

David Cameron has promised a "comprehensive piece of legislation" to close the "safe spaces" used by suspected terrorists to communicate online with each other.

If he wins the election, Mr Cameron said he would increase the authorities' power to access both the details of communications and their content.

More here.

Far too blanket like for my tastes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.