Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Personal Statement - Applying for 2 courses at different unis watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm applying for a Politics and Social Policy course at 1 uni, and Politics and Sociology at another.

Just finishing my personal statement and can't decide how best to get around this. Should I refer to the course as just politics in my statement, is there any better way?

Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You might not need to refer to the course by name. You will talk about why you want to study particular topics, or why you like certain elements of the course. But if you are careful you can avoid mentioning the exact title

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Think il just change it to wanting to study politics in general rather than a specific course

Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    I am also facing same problem, I want to apply for child nursing and adult nursing, not sure if it is possible to do a combined personal statement.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by kayloe2006)
    I am also facing same problem, I want to apply for child nursing and adult nursing, not sure if it is possible to do a combined personal statement.
    For adult and child nursing a PS that isn't 100% focused on one branch of nursing will get you an instant rejection.

If you genuinely can't decide there is at least two BNs that cover both branches: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/healths...ld.page?#entry
    http://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/courses/u...istration.aspx

They're a rarity though and generally have a longer course and higher entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem, had some really helpful advice from one university. Write your UCAS application to one specific course and send it. Then write or slightly adjust your statement to fit the other course and send it directly to the university via their admissions team, they then match it to your application and send it to the tutors. It has worked for me, hope that helps.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by RannaD)
    I had the same problem, had some really helpful advice from one university. Write your UCAS application to one specific course and send it. Then write or slightly adjust your statement to fit the other course and send it directly to the university via their admissions team, they then match it to your application and send it to the tutors. It has worked for me, hope that helps.
    That might work, although there's no guarantee that a uni will accept a second PS - they have no requirement to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c21z16)
    Hi,

I'm applying for a Politics and Social Policy course at 1 uni, and Politics and Sociology at another.

Just finishing my personal statement and can't decide how best to get around this. Should I refer to the course as just politics in my statement, is there any better way?

Thanks
    Be clever about it and write about how studying sociology at a level also helped you to learn about how the social side influences politics (i have no clue when it comes to sociology and politics as subjects) and how it's furthered your interest in politics and the social aspects of it
    Does that even make sense?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by toiletroll)
    Be clever about it and write about how studying sociology at a level also helped you to learn about how the social side influences politics (i have no clue when it comes to sociology and politics as subjects) and how it's furthered your interest in politics and the social aspects of it
    Does that even make sense?
    It's actually best to leave out A Levels, because the admissions tutors will know how the subjects link together like this. Reading outside of the course is much better to mention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    It's actually best to leave out A Levels, because the admissions tutors will know how the subjects link together like this. Reading outside of the course is much better to mention
    IDK, it seemed to me like OP doesn't want to make their ps sound like they are applying to two different courses so wouldn't it be okay for something like this?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by toiletroll)
    IDK, it seemed to me like OP doesn't want to make their ps sound like they are applying to two different courses so wouldn't it be okay for something like this?
    It's not really enough tho to just talk about sociology in this way for the unis for sociology. It's best to try and find commonalities (if there are any) and talk about the interest in the overlapping areas

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.