Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    With biology, I often find I know the topic rather well but I can never make enough sense of the questions to properly answer what is preferred/required to get the marks, even if I knew it already.

Any suggestions for answering biology questions/making sense of them to allow for better answering? :confused:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    :hi:

I think one of the best ways to tackle Biology questions in the exam is highlighting key terms and understanding where marks come from

My Biology teacher makes us look through mark schemes to understand where the marks for particular questions come from (especially for practicals) which really helps you gain extra marks

I'd also say before tackling ANY question in the exam, make sure you understand what the question is actually asking you, maybe read it a few times to understand it

:cookie:

ReputationRep:
    I can only go on my experience from AQA, and they've changed syllabus this year anyway so I've not idea what has occurred now.

Going on the idea that the reshuffle hasn't ruined past papers as a source, then they are your best friend.
    The issue with Biology, as you've stated, is that knowing your stuff is only about 40-50% of getting a decent grade, much lower than in other sciences and especially maths. It is a simple process of going through the past papers, even multiple times, to become good at the questions they ask, rather than the syllabus holistically. Notes, I personally believe, are overrated in science subjects.
    You'll notice looking at raw mark -> UMS conversion graphs when a syllabus is new, the marks required to get high UMS are incredibly low at the beginning, this is mostly due to unfamiliarity with what is being asked, which is improved upon by students who then look back at these papers to see what was actually wanted as an answer.

Best of luck in biology, try to balance enjoying it and becoming a well oiled exam machine, I can't say I completely managed that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joydivisioner)
    I can only go on my experience from AQA, and they've changed syllabus this year anyway so I've not idea what has occurred now.

Going on the idea that the reshuffle hasn't ruined past papers as a source, then they are your best friend.
    The issue with Biology, as you've stated, is that knowing your stuff is only about 40-50% of getting a decent grade, much lower than in other sciences and especially maths. It is a simple process of going through the past papers, even multiple times, to become good at the questions they ask, rather than the syllabus holistically. Notes, I personally believe, are overrated in science subjects.
    You'll notice looking at raw mark -> UMS conversion graphs when a syllabus is new, the marks required to get high UMS are incredibly low at the beginning, this is mostly due to unfamiliarity with what is being asked, which is improved upon by students who then look back at these papers to see what was actually wanted as an answer.

Best of luck in biology, try to balance enjoying it and becoming a well oiled exam machine, I can't say I completely managed that.

They have changed the syllabus:curious:? So will this affect me, im doing A2 biology currently. So does this mean that the BIOL4 and BIOl5 exams will be in a different structure this year?

ReputationRep:
    Saying it now I'm not 100% sure, I finished A2 last year. My parents do private tuition and I could have sworn they discussed some changes. My bad if this is not the case!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.