Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a second year Chemical Engineering major in a university in the U.S. I'm looking towards applying to postgraduate medical studies. I was wondering if any U.S. students, who are studying medicine in the UK, what it is like, what the process was to get into these schools, and how the funding is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nb101)
    Hi, I'm a second year Chemical Engineering major in a university in the U.S. I'm looking towards applying to postgraduate medical studies. I was wondering if any U.S. students, who are studying medicine in the UK, what it is like, what the process was to get into these schools, and how the funding is.
    There are 2 possible routes. Apply in the year you will graduate, by October 15th through UCAS to either the 5 years courses alongside UK graduates and school leavers or the 4 year courses alongside just graduates. The 5 year course entry involves your degree plus the UKCAT or BMAT aptitude tests. The 4 year courses require your degree and the UKCAT or BMAT or some the GAMSAT.

If you are an overseas candidate then funding is up to you. If you are a UK or an EU candidate studying in the uSA then UK/EU funding MAY be available.

ReputationRep:
    You can bring your US Student loans across as well but not sure if that will cover the whole cost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nb101)
    I'm just going to leave this here (saw a thread the other day where digitalis had linked it): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thre...#post-12306145

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I'm just going to leave this here (saw a thread the other day where digitalis had linked it): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thre...#post-12306145
    Interesting article. It matches exactly the experiences of several Americans and Canadians in my son's class. They are just graduating this year and are already very worried about "getting in" back home. They were happy with the ease of getting into med school here and very happy with their course. Just now they are encountering the issues of return that did not exist when they came here first.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.