Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

History gcse edexcel help please!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm doing my History GCSE this year and I suck at it. I do revise for my exams but i barley get a C most of the time. My teacher is a harsh marker but i don't want to rely on that as the reason for my bad grades. I'm doing Edexcel i would really appreciate if I can see the structure of how to answer questions ans use PEE in history. Thank You

ReputationRep:
    The first part, I guess, is to identify which aspects of the edexcel history course (other than essay-writing) you are currently struggling with and continuously work on those; revision is a sort of thing you have to build up over time (I learnt this the hard way following my Year 10 mocks) and you'll often find yourself remembering things much easier than you did previously. Flashcards, too, are really good according to my classmates - they allow you to easily summarise all of your notes on an event (e.g. The Battle of the Somme, 1916, Douglas Haig, 10 day artillery fire in an attempt to damage German trench system, artillery and barbed wire, inevitably failed due to xyz reasons).

I would love to help you with your essay-writing skills too (I do a lot of proof-reading and editing outside of school) as that's obviously a rather important aspect of history. I'll give you an example of an essay I had written a while back (which, in comparison to what I write now, is really quite ****) and colour in point, example and explanation (PEE) in that sort of sense

The same ideas (as previously stated in the last paragraph - it was expanding on how politicians played a key role in the unsuccessful tactics used etc.) can be inferred from sources 5a and 5b which show us General Haig’s views on what the allied forces achieved in the Battle of the Somme a month after the fighting there began. General Douglas Haig (1861 – 1928) had, pre-WW1, fought in the Sudanese Campaigns and Boer War, which resulted in him becoming promoted to a director of military training. During World War One, Haig had most famously ordered the Somme Offensive (which began on July 1st 1916 and ended on the 13th November 1916) in an attempt to break the stalemate on the Western Front and aid the French, who had been asking for assistance from the British. The Battle of the Somme would end up leading to approximately 20 000 deaths alone on the British side on their first day of fighting, marking it as the bloodiest day in history. Many people still wonder as to why the allied forces chose not to surrender despite the large number of casualties and from 5a and 5b, we can see that Haig himself remained fairly optimistic (“She has been forced to employ defensively a strength in men per yard … In spite of such reinforcements it is proves possible for the allies to maintain a superiority of numbers and of guns in the battle …”) and was convinced that the German’s resources of reserve troops had almost been used up even though the fighting did not end until November, which means their reserves were not used up. From this information, one can automatically assume that Haig did not go to the front lines and instead trusted sources to brief him about the situation – if he had been at the front lines, he would have known about the situation the allied forces were facing. This also means that more deaths could have been avoided had Haig decided to see the battle for himself.

Hope this helps (PS. it's currently 12 AM so I'll re-read and edit this to make it clearer; evidently, the paragraph itself could definitely be improved upon, so I'll do that tomorrow/today/in a couple of hours time)

ReputationRep:
    wow thank you so much for all your help I really appreciate it. Its much clearer to me now thanks ☺

ReputationRep:
    i get E's all the time and i got an A i GCSE the stresssss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sxah)
    wow thank you so much for all your help I really appreciate it. Its much clearer to me now thanks ☺
    You're welcome Glad I could help!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 20, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.