Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

I am 20 years old and making a big decision. I currently work full time, on under 1,000 a month.

I have been looking at HE courses to try and study english literature at university.

If I do an HE course this September it means I will quit my job to focus on that for 32 weeks (length of the course) and then go straight to uni after (hopefully!)

I want advice on whether I should quit my job and just go for it?

And also if people think a degree in English lit is worth it? (Apologies if I cause offence, I mean in a job sense)

My brother gave me some advice and said would you rather work from 20-70 years old, or have a few years in between where you don't work but you gain qualifications...

Please help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishrose1994)
    Hi all!

I am 20 years old and making a big decision. I currently work full time, on under 1,000 a month.

I have been looking at HE courses to try and study english literature at university.

If I do an HE course this September it means I will quit my job to focus on that for 32 weeks (length of the course) and then go straight to uni after (hopefully!)

And also if people think a degree in English lit is worth it? (Apologies if I cause offence, I mean in a job sense)

My brother gave me some advice and said would you rather work from 20-70 years old, or have a few years in between where you don't work but you gain qualifications...

Please help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why not work and study at the same time? Check out Open Uni HE courses.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

Please help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know anything about English literature but I think you should definitely go to university. You will have a great time and gain a degree which can only be good. You're only 20 so you have plenty of time for your career after uni.

I am 22 and I'm going to study at uni while I am still young and can enjoy it to the full!

ReputationRep:
    If you really have the great dedication on that course and goal, why not do it in a balance way? everything needs balance and the top priority, no one should be left behind most especially if that thing is important to you in the final.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

Please help!
    If you're eligible for the various forms of financial support for HE (maintenance loans & grants etc.) - you'd need to check if you are - and you've not got any significant financial commitments, doing a degree could be an excellent choice for you at this stage. I'm assuming that you're not too enamoured with your current job, and it doesn't seem like it pays too well either.

The more HE research you do up front the better: once I started my Access course (I'm assuming you're looking at doing an Access to HE course as preparation), I've found that the workload has made it harder to find the energy, time and inclination to do it. That said, I don't think you need to be 100% sure of what degree you want to do when you start an Access course. Most people on mine are 100% set on their degree courses and have been since the outset (particularly those looking at going into vocational courses like nursing and midwifery), but I'm not the only one who's changed their mind as the course has unfolded.

On considering HE, my first inclination was to do an English degree, but I did get a bit put off by all the negative things one hears about the merits of that choice. I started an Access course in Sep '14 thinking that something vocational like Law was a more viable option than something 'flaky' like English. However, as the autumn term was drawing to a close, it was becoming obvious that I wasn't really passionate about Law, and that Lit Studies was by far the best subject of the three Access subjects I'm doing (others are Soc & Psych) - it has been the most enjoyable, challenging and stimulating of the three. I want to spend my three years at university studying something I'm really interested in, and how much I earn in the subsequent years isn't a crucial factor for me.

So, I believe I'm making a solid decision to choose to study an English Literature degree. I hope in giving you a highly-condensed (even though it's still a long post!) version of my path to that decision, it might help. Ultimately, however, whether it's the right decision for you or not is something only you can decide.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.