Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of buying a Fitbit to track my calories and steps. I am a housekeeper which is moderate exercise and I have started to go gym to do cardio and weights. If anyone has one, is it worth getting? The one I am looking to buy is a Fitbit flex (cheapest, but all I can afford at the moment)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've got a flex and I really like it
    I found it surprising just how much I walk around during the day even without exercise
    Plus monitoring sleep is pretty good,
    The silent alarm was one of the things I was quite interested in, but tbh I just sleep right through it

ReputationRep:
    That's great how does the silent alarm work though? Does it vibrate? and I am going to get one today then worth a shot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    You can use Myftinesspal to track calories and is free

Pedometers cost a 5er or so

That'd save you a fair bit of money tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly92xo)
    That's great how does the silent alarm work though? Does it vibrate? and I am going to get one today then worth a shot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah it vibrates for about a minute

ReputationRep:
    I got one for Christmas and it's GREAT!
    It makes me realise how much difference there is between a non-uni, non-work day where I don't even walk the dog, and a day where I go to uni, work and help out a bit too (for me, it can be about 1,500 calories difference!). It also makes me try to hit my 10,000 steps every day, rather than being happy with the 4 days a week that I hit them anyway.

It syncs with myfitnesspal and loads of other apps, and so far I'm really pleased with it. However, I'm still not sure how accurate it is because I didn't log al my food over New Year, and then I got ill and lost half a stone overnight rather than through any particular effort.

The flex is comfortable and really easy to use, and I just ordered another 7 bands in differnt colours because I'm silly and like wasting money haha!
    The silent alarms are also pretty useful - I get up at 5 most mornings and this way I can set my alarm without worrying about waking anyone else up. I use a phone alarm too, 10 minutes later, as I think I could sleep through the flex if I were really tired, but so far it's woken me up every time. The battery on mine lasts about 7-8 days on one charge, and that's with 3 different timed alarms set.

If you can afford it, go for it - sure, there are cheaper alteratives (like a pedometer and myfitnesspal, as Angry cucumber said) but fitbit keeps it all in one place and will allow you to track your progress without much effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_p)
    I got one for Christmas and it's GREAT!
    It makes me realise how much difference there is between a non-uni, non-work day where I don't even walk the dog, and a day where I go to uni, work and help out a bit too (for me, it can be about 1,500 calories difference!). It also makes me try to hit my 10,000 steps every day, rather than being happy with the 4 days a week that I hit them anyway.

It syncs with myfitnesspal and loads of other apps, and so far I'm really pleased with it. However, I'm still not sure how accurate it is because I didn't log al my food over New Year, and then I got ill and lost half a stone overnight rather than through any particular effort.

The flex is comfortable and really easy to use, and I just ordered another 7 bands in differnt colours because I'm silly and like wasting money haha!
    The silent alarms are also pretty useful - I get up at 5 most mornings and this way I can set my alarm without worrying about waking anyone else up. I use a phone alarm too, 10 minutes later, as I think I could sleep through the flex if I were really tired, but so far it's woken me up every time. The battery on mine lasts about 7-8 days on one charge, and that's with 3 different timed alarms set.

If you can afford it, go for it - sure, there are cheaper alteratives (like a pedometer and myfitnesspal, as Angry cucumber said) but fitbit keeps it all in one place and will allow you to track your progress without much effort.
    Hi, I have got it! Yay! That sounds brill, I love the sleep alarm mode.
    I am still trying to get used to it BUT how can I see how many calories I have burned? I have changed settings from steps to calories but I still cannot find how many calories I have burned so far? I am connected with MFP and synced it as well. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have got it! Yay! That sounds brill, I love the sleep alarm mode.
    I am still trying to get used to it BUT how can I see how many calories I have burned? I have changed settings from steps to calories but I still cannot find how many calories I have burned so far? I am connected with MFP and synced it as well. Thanks
    Have you set it up with your weight? Mine had a calories burned window on the dashboard straight after I set it up, it basically works off your BMR and then adds calories in line with your steps.

ReputationRep:
    Have you set it up with your weight? Mine had a calories burned window on the dashboard straight after I set it up, it basically works off your BMR and then adds calories in line with your steps.
    Yeah I put in my weight and then how I want to display calories but it isn't showing on the dashboard just shows how many steps I have taken. I will figure it out eventually

ReputationRep:
    AH! I have found it... But it seems to be wrong? It says 1,581 calories burned.. I don't see how that is as I have not been to the gym today :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    AH! I have found it... But it seems to be wrong? It says 1,581 calories burned.. I don't see how that is as I have not been to the gym today :rolleyes:
    Your body will burn an amount of calories per day, just from being alive! That's how people get an idea of the amount of calories they should eat to maintain/lose/gain weight. - Just want to add that the fitbit is likely not exactly accurate, but it does give a good idea of calories burned throughout the day.

I have a fitbit and really like it. I love the sleep log, and the silent alarm.

ReputationRep:
    I have a bodymedia fit, most accurate calorie tracker on the market, best thing ever bought for fitness

ReputationRep:
    Exactly as Kate says, Fitbit doesn't just show "exercise" calories like most fitness apps would (eg. 250 calories for a half hour run), but all the calories you burn in a day.

(Original post by katehlouise)
    Your body will burn an amount of calories per day, just from being alive! That's how people get an idea of the amount of calories they should eat to maintain/lose/gain weight. - Just want to add that the fitbit is likely not exactly accurate, but it does give a good idea of calories burned throughout the day.

I have a fitbit and really like it. I love the sleep log, and the silent alarm.
    I love all the sleep stuff too, it's great!!
    I'm yet to see how accurate my Flex is, but I've made a nerdy spreadsheet to see what I *should* lose each week based on its calorie estimates, and what I actually do!!

ReputationRep:
    I really like my fitbit flex. Made a lot of difference for me over the 6 weeks holidays as I'm usually really sedentary during the holidays. I can easily rack up 9000 steps on days when I'm teaching all day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.