Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I started my final year in October, on a full-time basis. Unfortunately, as time went on, I became increasingly overwhelmed with the work and am really far behind, especially on my final year project/dissertation (due on 6th March).

I've spoken with my year coordinator at my university, who has gave me the go ahead to move my final year project to next year and 1 other 20 credit module and continue with the 3 remaining modules (essentially transferring from a full-time course to part-time on a full-time course).

Will I have any issues obtaining funding next year from SFE, to study the remaining 60 credits? Prior, to this I've had no other funding from SFE, other than my first and second year, which I studied full-time without any repeats.

I assume I will also need to submit a change of circumstance to SFE asap?

ReputationRep:
    You can only get a Tuition Fee Loan for part-time study - no Maintenance Loan or Maintenance Grant.

You will need to inform SF that you are changing to part-time as from next September. If you don't do that in advance, the uni will tell them at or shortly after the start of the academic year and you don't want to risk getting SF in a muddle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    You can only get a Tuition Fee Loan for part-time study - no Maintenance Loan or Maintenance Grant.

You will need to inform SF that you are changing to part-time as from next September. If you don't do that in advance, the uni will tell them at or shortly after the start of the academic year and you don't want to risk getting SF in a muddle.
    Thanks for the reply. Slightly confused as I've spoken to a friend who was in the same situation in his second year. He states that he did receive all maintenance loan/grant, as he was deemed part-time on a full-time course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peddeh)
    Thanks for the reply. Slightly confused as I've spoken to a friend who was in the same situation in his second year. He states that he did receive all maintenance loan/grant, as he was deemed part-time on a full-time course.
    There is a grey area where you can be effectively studying part-time, but if your uni classes you as full-time and (more importantly) reports you to SF as such, then you should get the full set of SF Loans and Grants that you've had before.

Be absolutely sure that this is what your uni will do for you. I'd go so far as to make sure you have it written in an email that you will be considered - and reported to SF - as full-time. If they confirm that you will be officially full-time, you just need to inform SF in advance that you will be doing an extra year. You may be entitled to extra SF funding to cover you over the coming summer holiday, which you wouldn't have received if you were finishing this June.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.