The Student Room Group

HELP. Confused- Uni/A level

I am really confused. I am actually in my second year of University, but have (kind of dropped out) stopped going for some reasons. I was going through a really rough time. My aim is to return back and continue with my second year next year hopefully (this October) if my University allows me to.

Since I am at home and had time to think, I had the idea: What if I upgrade my A level results? I was actually going through some past A level books and felt like doing the questions just for fun, so I thought why not give it another go and sit the exams this June. I think I am less distracted, more motivated to do better than I was before while doing A level.

From this I thought, if I manage to upgrade my A level results is it wise to apply to another University since my current University is 1 hour 30 min/2 hour commute.
This is something that is causing me a lot of confusion. First, the UCAS deadline is fast approaching. I want to apply to a new University based on my A level results, not my University (even though I passed my first year of Uni, but second year did not go very smoothly i.e. I have not been going).
Also, if I apply to a new University via UCAS and put my University under the education section, wouldn't the new Uni want to know or give me the offer based on my grades at Uni and not A level.

Another thing that is causing a lot of headache is that I cannot have my current tutors reference. I don't want her to know about that anyways. At the moment I am going through the extenuating circumstances application procedure so it would not be wise to tell my tutor about something else.
Problem is: I do not know who to ask for reference. (if I apply via UCAS)

Can someone tell me whether it is wise to retake A level (if I know I can do better). I mean even if I do not apply to a University, would it not help me to have good A level grades on my CV? I don't have very bad A level grades at the moment. I just want to upgrade two of my subjects to an A/A*. I think I can do it.

Or do I just leave this idea and study for my second year at home? I have absolutely no idea what to do. I hope and pray that my current University takes me back.
Another problem is that although I genuinely had the roughest time of my life, I have difficulty providing proof of it to my current Uni for the extenuating circumstances application. Therefore, I am very scared that my University will not take me back in case I fail to provide proof.

Sooo many problems. I just have absolutely no idea where I am going in life...:frown:
Is there someone who has knowledge about situations like this, who has gone through the same/similar and knows what would be the best thing to do?

Please let me know your advice (if you know)

Thanks
no one ?
Reply 2
Original post by midsummer dreams
no one ?

Omg nobody replied in 20 minutes! And during the day when most people who know this stuff is at work. You're clearly quite right to bump as that is just shockingly slow.

Original post by midsummer dreams
I am really confused. I am actually in my second year of University, but have (kind of dropped out) stopped going for some reasons. I was going through a really rough time. My aim is to return back and continue with my second year next year hopefully (this October) if my University allows me to.

Since I am at home and had time to think, I had the idea: What if I upgrade my A level results? I was actually going through some past A level books and felt like doing the questions just for fun, so I thought why not give it another go and sit the exams this June. I think I am less distracted, more motivated to do better than I was before while doing A level.

From this I thought, if I manage to upgrade my A level results is it wise to apply to another University since my current University is 1 hour 30 min/2 hour commute.
This is something that is causing me a lot of confusion. First, the UCAS deadline is fast approaching. I want to apply to a new University based on my A level results, not my University (even though I passed my first year of Uni, but second year did not go very smoothly i.e. I have not been going).
Also, if I apply to a new University via UCAS and put my University under the education section, wouldn't the new Uni want to know or give me the offer based on my grades at Uni and not A level.

Another thing that is causing a lot of headache is that I cannot have my current tutors reference. I don't want her to know about that anyways. At the moment I am going through the extenuating circumstances application procedure so it would not be wise to tell my tutor about something else.
Problem is: I do not know who to ask for reference. (if I apply via UCAS)

Can someone tell me whether it is wise to retake A level (if I know I can do better). I mean even if I do not apply to a University, would it not help me to have good A level grades on my CV? I don't have very bad A level grades at the moment. I just want to upgrade two of my subjects to an A/A*. I think I can do it.

Or do I just leave this idea and study for my second year at home? I have absolutely no idea what to do. I hope and pray that my current University takes me back.
Another problem is that although I genuinely had the roughest time of my life, I have difficulty providing proof of it to my current Uni for the extenuating circumstances application. Therefore, I am very scared that my University will not take me back in case I fail to provide proof.

Sooo many problems. I just have absolutely no idea where I am going in life...:frown:
Is there someone who has knowledge about situations like this, who has gone through the same/similar and knows what would be the best thing to do?

Please let me know your advice (if you know)

Thanks

You might not find it as easy as you think to find a centre to resit your exams. They'll also charge you, and it can be around £100 per module. You need to do more research before deciding if that's what you want to do - but quickly, because the entry deadline is in March and places can book up.

If you start from first year again you won't get student finance. You've already used 2 years of student finance, and you only get funding for the new course length plus one year. So you'd be fine to resit year two at your current uni, but if you move you'd need to fund first year yourself. You can apply for more funding due to compelling personal reasons, but you'd need to provide proof of that, and it sounds like you would struggle.

You could ask your old school for a reference. You can even use an employer reference, but an academic one would be better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
Omg nobody replied in 20 minutes! And during the day when most people who know this stuff is at work. You're clearly quite right to bump as that is just shockingly slow.

You might not find it as easy as you think to find a centre to resit your exams. They'll also charge you, and it can be around £100 per module. You need to do more research before deciding if that's what you want to do - but quickly, because the entry deadline is in March and places can book up.

If you start from first year again you won't get student finance. You've already used 2 years of student finance, and you only get funding for the new course length plus one year. So you'd be fine to resit year two at your current uni, but if you move you'd need to fund first year yourself. You can apply for more funding due to compelling personal reasons, but you'd need to provide proof of that, and it sounds like you would struggle.

You could ask your old school for a reference. You can even use an employer reference, but an academic one would be better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wasn't 20 mins though? Sorry, maybe I am a little impatient (deadline for UCAS is arriving soon, in 2/3 days + I won't have access to computer the entire day) :smile:. Also, I thought my thread might get lost if I don't bump (and it has happened before)

Yes, I already thought about the cost. I will be able to fund it (from my job). Also, I might go back to my old sixth form. Some people have done it.
I did not know about student finance though. I heard about so many people dropping out (2/3 times) and then starting again at other universities. I thought the loans just add up?

Maybe I will continue with my second year at my current uni. I just hope they take me back and that I find accommodation near Uni before I go back. I will see.
(edited 9 years ago)
to fund a extra year you would need to find fees plus your living costs. I am reading into this that you have problems with your tutor and university. it might be worth looking into whether another uni may accept you for second year entry as I assume you successfully completed your first year in your current uni. I would personally try contacting the other uni and seek their advice before taking any action
Original post by swanseajack1
to fund a extra year you would need to find fees plus your living costs. I am reading into this that you have problems with your tutor and university. it might be worth looking into whether another uni may accept you for second year entry as I assume you successfully completed your first year in your current uni. I would personally try contacting the other uni and seek their advice before taking any action

The only problem I have with my Uni is, that it is too far. My tutor is okay, but I just recently told her about my reasons for not attending university any more due to certain things in my life and I am currently applying for an interrupt of one year, extenuating circumstances, therefore don't want to contact her regarding this.

I have been extremely depressed since I started my course at my current University, a lot of things have happened in my life ( it's not really because of my Uni that I have been depressed). I do not have a very great first year result (65 % overall, but in some modules I did poorly, because I missed one exam and only got a cut off mark of 30%, not sure and another one as well). Things are just not working in my life any more and I feel like giving up on everything in life. In my second year I was to apply for placement in my third year, but my chances have been extremely low since I am competing with the vast majority of people on my course who averaged 75-95 % on each module in their first year. Since I was extremely depressed and university was too far +travel cost too high, I missed a loot of lectures, tutorials and my tutor knows this. The chances of getting a good reference for a placement are gone as well. So frustrated! I am genuinely going through the roughest time in my life so far. I am desperately trying to battle my depression. A few days ago I had the idea of retaking A level and I started to have some hope, finally. But I did not have enough idea about all the aspects of a retake, the consequences on student finance etc. therefore I asked TSR.

I think I will just forget about the idea of applying to another university, but I do feel like doing something to improve; whether it is A level or studying for my second year. The thing about retaking A level is that it would generally be better for graduate jobs, or the fact that I want to study Medicine later on. If I have 3 As/A* etc it would be better. I have recently been very much interested to do Maths and I was going through my A level books in Chemistry and Maths.
I feel there is not much point of studying for my second year just now (maybe during summer holiday would be enough), because first of all just reading text books is not enough and a big part of my degree are practicals and reports.
Now is the time to decide what to do. I just don't know what.
Is there a point to improve my A level grades? Or do I just focus on my second year stuff (I won't be starting my second year until October, if at all). Another thing is that once I go back to Uni, I will have to apply for placement. I will not have (very good) first year results to present, I will have no proof to say I have learnt and improved my knowledge of first year/second year material, but at least I could say that I have upgraded my A level results and have lets say 3 As/A*?
As the title says, I am too confused right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending