Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am thinking of a career change and want to study for an architecture degree (K100). The problem is, I would be classed as a mature student and I have a mortgage/bills/car etc to pay for. Is it possible to study full time and still be able to afford to live? (Ie maintence grant + weekend jobs or whatever to cover mortgage) Or will it have to be a part time degree so I would still work to pay bills? Id rather do it full time as it's quicker and feel that would be the better option.I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem and how they went about solving it.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Student Finance is designed to be a "contribution" towards your costs whilst you study and rarely covers all of them. I had to wait until I'd paid off my mortgage before I could afford uni full-time.

This is the calculator, where you can get an estimate of your expected SF contribution:
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm just in a similar situation... Have applied to go to uni this september but I'v decided to rent my flat out and move back in with the parents :eek:

I just think it'll take the pressure off... I think i maybe could afford to keep the flat and go to uni but I just think it'll be wayyy too stressful.

Could you maybe take in a lodger for extra money? Mines is just a one-bedroom so I couldn't, unfortunately.

Remember you'll be exempt from council tax too, not much but at least it's something

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, that calculated looks useful thanks! And I live with my partner who's on low income, so not sure she'll be as accepting about a lodger but not a bad idea at all!
    I wouldn't expect finance to fill all my bills, and if work where I could to help. It seems like it can get very complicated very quick financially.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cutie Xx)
    Hi,

I'm just in a similar situation... Have applied to go to uni this september but I'v decided to rent my flat out and move back in with the parents :eek:

I just think it'll take the pressure off... I think i maybe could afford to keep the flat and go to uni but I just think it'll be wayyy too stressful.

Could you maybe take in a lodger for extra money? Mines is just a one-bedroom so I couldn't, unfortunately.

Remember you'll be exempt from council tax too, not much but at least it's something

Good luck!
    Have you checked whether getting an income from renting out your property will affect the amount of student loan/grant you can get? It might not be a cost-effective option.

I have a mortgage, but it's pretty small, so I manage fine on student finance, plus scholarships & bursaries. When you are choosing universities, don't forget to see what they may offer in that way. I'm getting an extra £6500 from my university, and I would be struggling without it, to be honest.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Some people do study full time whilst having a family, mortgage and other commitments. So therefore it is possible in general - but it might not be possible for your circumstances.

It might help for you to use a budget planner (money saving expert has a good one) to see exactly how much you spend on bills and essentials. See how much you can save by being more frugal. Although you will be classed as exempt from council tax, any adults you live with will still have to pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schadenfreude65)
    Have you checked whether getting an income from renting out your property will affect the amount of student loan/grant you can get? It might not be a cost-effective option.

I have a mortgage, but it's pretty small, so I manage fine on student finance, plus scholarships & bursaries. When you are choosing universities, don't forget to see what they may offer in that way. I'm getting an extra £6500 from my university, and I would be struggling without it, to be honest.
    I think if I were to stay in my flat I'd get a £6750 loan and £750 bursary from SAAS and living with my parents I'll get a £4750 loan so not much difference... I haven't even checked what's available from the Unis I've applied to though! I'll look into that Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    I am a full time student mature student just completed my foundation now doing year 1. When I checked you could claim help with your mortgage interest only but you go on to JSA. The snag is if you want to continue full time education and because you paid taxes you are entitled to it JSA can tell you at any time you have to look for work and i think it's the same for Universal Credit. If you are willing to work and juggle uni I think it can be done when they tell you to work Note if you want that first or 2:1 degree forget it. You need to study full time because degrees can be intensive.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by bmccrae2)
    I am a full time student mature student just completed my foundation now doing year 1. When I checked you could claim help with your mortgage interest only but you go on to JSA. The snag is if you want to continue full time education and because you paid taxes you are entitled to it JSA can tell you at any time you have to look for work and i think it's the same for Universal Credit. If you are willing to work and juggle uni I think it can be done when they tell you to work Note if you want that first or 2:1 degree forget it. You need to study full time because degrees can be intensive.
    This is an old thread and the original poster hasn't been online since Jan 2015 so is unfortunately unlikely to see your reply.

I'm closing the thread.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.