Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Could I get away with this lie on my CV? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Looking to apply for a couple of full-time waiter positions, however both are asking for a minimum of one year experience in a similar role. I worked as a restaurant host for around 4 months a few years ago but had to quit to concentrate on my studies. The restaurant closed down shortly after I left and I have no references from there, so I was wondering if I could get away with saying I worked there around a year. Could they check this somehow?

I know it's wrong and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it, but I'm so desperate for work right now having been laid off recently, I'm going out of my mind with boredom and I can't stand the thought of going back to the job centre again. I do have a lot of other work experience in different environments, I worked in retail for a few months and also in a supermarket for over 2 years but they seem to want restaurant work experience. Anyone else told a similar lie on their CV before? Any advice (including telling me I'm an idiot for even considering this) is much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Well it is wrong. However, since there's no reference and the restaurant closed down, you can get away with it. The time that you worked there, just tell that experience but in a more detailed and broad way if they ask about it. Just have ONE back-up reason since more than one can get suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    Will they not then request a reference off you? Who would you use if the other company shut down - anyone who could verify you worked there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    Will they not then request a reference off you? Who would you use if the other company shut down - anyone who could verify you worked there?
    Well yeah I guess there's a good chance they'd ask for one. I genuinely have no way of getting a reference from anyone there though, it was 4 years ago now and I don't have contact details of any of the managers.

The restaurant was Chili's grill and bar. As far as I know they don't have any more chains in the UK, so it's going to be nigh on impossible to prove I worked there. I was hoping my references from my other jobs and college would suffice.

ReputationRep:
    Any other opinions?

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't be impossible to prove as you would have been given a P45, which would also unfortunately show that you didn't work there for a year.

ReputationRep:
    Psh, do it. People hardly check these things. By the time you start working (if you get a job there), they'll find out soon enough whether they think you're up to it or not. By then, where you worked 4 years ago won't matter a bit. :] Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone bull****s on their CV in a bid to big themselves up a bit, just don't say you've got two Firsts from both Oxford and Cambridge and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamatt)
    Well yeah I guess there's a good chance they'd ask for one. I genuinely have no way of getting a reference from anyone there though, it was 4 years ago now and I don't have contact details of any of the managers.

The restaurant was Chili's grill and bar. As far as I know they don't have any more chains in the UK, so it's going to be nigh on impossible to prove I worked there. I was hoping my references from my other jobs and college would suffice.
    Well now if they google the restaurant to check out if it's legit or not they'll come across this thread and realise you're being fallacious. But if they don't, then you'll be fine as they can't really disprove it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.