Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have recently accepted an offer to study PGCE Primary at Worcester in September, I was wondering if anyone else is planning on going there?

If so have you done your professional skills tests?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've accepted Worcester for Primary PGCE also! Glad I've found someone else.

I haven't done my skills test yet - couldn't find any places near by with free spaces until February! Have you done it?

Any idea what you're doing re. living arrangements? I'm not too sure about going back into halls again...

Grace

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh hey!!
    Thank goodness I've found someone!
    I live 30 minutes away from Worcester so I will just drive I think Mine are at the end off Feb too!!
    Halls is always a good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracee1245)
    Hi,

I've accepted Worcester for Primary PGCE also! Glad I've found someone else.

I haven't done my skills test yet - couldn't find any places near by with free spaces until February! Have you done it?

Any idea what you're doing re. living arrangements? I'm not too sure about going back into halls again...

Grace
    Hey guys,
    Good luck in your skills test.
    I'm in the same boat as you Grace, not convinced about going back to halls. I'd hate them to be too loud, think I'll look for a house share.
    Hopefully the Uni will have some good recommendations as I'm not familiar with housing companies around there.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Owwwhh it's tomorrow, nervous ! But it's literacy actually so that's good as its the maths one I'm really worried about.

I applied for halls, there were one's for just postgrad but they were sooo expensive - but then again I don't know how much renting is around Worcester.

Are you going to go professional house share? I kind of wanted to live with other PGCE people but figure everyone will have found somewhere by the time we start enough to know people if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Owwwhh it's tomorrow, nervous ! But it's literacy actually so that's good as its the maths one I'm really worried about.

I applied for halls, there were one's for just postgrad but they were sooo expensive - but then again I don't know how much renting is around Worcester.

Are you going to go professional house share? I kind of wanted to live with other PGCE people but figure everyone will have found somewhere by the time we start enough to know people if that makes sense.
    Good luck tomorrow!

I just looked up the postgrad halls, you're right, they are very expensive compared to houses. 185 students in the postgrad, its a shame we don't have any form of communications pre starting the course to organise accommodation etc.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh that's annoying that they are so expensive!!

How did the skills test go Grace?
    I'm trying to revise for mine now!!
    Are you both doing 5-11 or 3-5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlieestephens)
    Ohh that's annoying that they are so expensive!!

How did the skills test go Grace?
    I'm trying to revise for mine now!!
    Are you both doing 5-11 or 3-5?
    So expensive!!! I think I'm going to have a look for houses.

I only did the literacy one, I've delayed my maths one for a month because I'm jam-packed and won't have time to revise for it and unlike the literacy one I'm definitely going to have to revise for maths. I had to have a tutor at GCSE, I haaaaaaaate maths!

But I passed the literacy! Don't worry about the literacy it was fine.

I remember on the spellings they asked vegetarian and synopsis. Learn the rules on doubling up letters they seem to like those.

In terms of punctuation there was some obvious ones, like full stops and capital letters. I wish I'd looked up rules on capitalisation a bit more, and whether to capitalise 'the' on certain things, as in the test they named a society, say 'the university of Worcester society' - and some words they had capitalised and some they hadn't including the 'the', personally that kind of thing confuses me, so maybe look that up if you struggle. Also things like quotation marks, both putting speech in " " those and ' ' these to name things like books and stuff. Commas and question marks within the speech and after the speech. Paragraph breaks.

Grammar was fine to, some things were obviously wrong like 'should of'. Usually you can eliminate the two out of the four options they give you - then to pick the right one, look out for the tenses and plurals of the sentence before the ones that you have to choose between and check they match.

Comprehension was fine - but they did have one thing I hadn't seen before. They had the text and then they picked out about 5 sentences such as 'the children were happy' and you had to write whether each sentence was supported by the text, implicitly supported, not mentioned, implicitly contradicted by the text, or directly contradicted by the text.

Hope this helps!

I'm doing 5-11. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    So expensive!!! I think I'm going to have a look for houses.

I only did the literacy one, I've delayed my maths one for a month because I'm jam-packed and won't have time to revise for it and unlike the literacy one I'm definitely going to have to revise for maths. I had to have a tutor at GCSE, I haaaaaaaate maths!

But I passed the literacy! Don't worry about the literacy it was fine.

I remember on the spellings they asked vegetarian and synopsis. Learn the rules on doubling up letters they seem to like those.

In terms of punctuation there was some obvious ones, like full stops and capital letters. I wish I'd looked up rules on capitalisation a bit more, and whether to capitalise 'the' on certain things, as in the test they named a society, say 'the university of Worcester society' - and some words they had capitalised and some they hadn't including the 'the', personally that kind of thing confuses me, so maybe look that up if you struggle. Also things like quotation marks, both putting speech in " " those and ' ' these to name things like books and stuff. Commas and question marks within the speech and after the speech. Paragraph breaks.

Grammar was fine to, some things were obviously wrong like 'should of'. Usually you can eliminate the two out of the four options they give you - then to pick the right one, look out for the tenses and plurals of the sentence before the ones that you have to choose between and check they match.

Comprehension was fine - but they did have one thing I hadn't seen before. They had the text and then they picked out about 5 sentences such as 'the children were happy' and you had to write whether each sentence was supported by the text, implicitly supported, not mentioned, implicitly contradicted by the text, or directly contradicted by the text.

Hope this helps!

I'm doing 5-11. What about you?

Yes, Maths isn't my favourite I must say. I also had a tutor for four years!!
    Ahhh Brilliant thank you, that's made it seem a lot less daunting now! My tests are booked for Monday, so fingers crossed!
    What are you both currently studying? I can't wait for 3rd to be over now, driving me mad!
    I'm also doing 5-11 years!.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck on Monday, are they one after the other?
    I studied Geography and Outdoor Education, finished two years ago so I've been chasing the snow since then, looking forward to getting back into it all but I know this will be the hardest year imaginable

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! Yes they are at 4 and 6, cause I have to travel to Bristol to do them seemed easier to do them together!!
    Oh wow that sounded interesting!
    Yes its going to be a difficult year, excited though!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Maths isn't my favourite I must say. I also had a tutor for four years!!
    Ahhh Brilliant thank you, that's made it seem a lot less daunting now! My tests are booked for Monday, so fingers crossed!
    What are you both currently studying? I can't wait for 3rd to be over now, driving me mad!
    I'm also doing 5-11 years!.
    Glad to have helped, good luck on your tests. Let me know how they go (and any advice hehe). I see your travelling to Bristol - that's where I went for mine! I go to Bristol uni but currently living in Malvern (long story). I got confused which door it was to go into so if you get confused as the people at tesco they were very helpful.

I'm doing Philosophy, which relates in now way to primary education at all but oh well. How about you? I'm glad you're doing 5-11 as you'll actually be on the course I am but maybe all PGCE students get lumbered together anyway?

I am so excited about next year. I have hated Philosophy but it was too late for me to change by the time I realised it and didn't want to re start as then I wouldn't get funding for PGCE so I've been sticking it out. I think most people are so ready for third year to be over, but it'll be done soon so keep it up. PGCE's are intense but I'm quite looking forward to getting my money's worth of £9,000... 4 contact hours a week is not a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Yes defo will, Numeracy ready is amazing for Maths, it is £19.99 though! It really has helped me!
    Wow that does sound confusing haha! How long is that to travel?
    Yes I'm currently studying at Cardiff doing Educational Studies and Psychology so was easier for me to go to Bristol.
    Oh brilliant I'm so clumsy I will definitely go into the wrong door haha!
    I did Philosophy for A-Level I loved it, can imagine it being difficult for sure.

Yes I think they do, but I think we get split into groups somewhere along the line. Yes I know I have debated quitting so many times this year. You are absolutely right, I am in 2 days a week and pay a fortune, will be nice to be doing something everyday worthwhile (challenging no doubt).

ReputationRep:
    I have a few books that I bought for my PGCE last year. Now in my first year teaching and willing to sell them for very cheap! If anybody is interested let me know! - Good Luck for PGCE!

ReputationRep:
    Passed my skills tests! How are you guys getting on with the pre-course experience learning journal? Getting excited for September now xx

ReputationRep:
    I've passed Maths, doing English later one. I haven't even started mine yet, far too preoccupied with my dissertation haha!

ReputationRep:
    Well done for passing the Maths yeah I can imagine - good luck with your dissertation! I've already finished my degree a year ago so I'm just concentrating on the teaching stuff now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leanne_elizabeth)
    Well done for passing the Maths yeah I can imagine - good luck with your dissertation! I've already finished my degree a year ago so I'm just concentrating on the teaching stuff now
    Well done for passing your skills test btw Thank you its finally getting there. I started my journal now and I am also so excited to start too!!

ReputationRep:
    Well done for passing your skills test btw Thank you its finally getting there. I started my journal now and I am also so excited to start too!!
    So exciting how are you finding the journal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leanne_elizabeth)
    So exciting how are you finding the journal?
    I'm finding it okay, but because I'm in a Welsh school I scared in case Worcester say it's not okay. I have rang and they said it fine but still. Thinking maybe going to a school near me for a few days to get a bit of experience there and maybe can compare them!.
    How about you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.